Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How to spot a good Impreza

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2003, 08:40 AM
Fmrl
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of buying an Impreza soon. I've just seen a nice looking one but I'd appreciate everyones views on it.

http://www.scoobyscene.co.uk/usedcardetails.asp?id=83

Old 03 April 2003, 08:44 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Between 1 and 2k too much.
Old 03 April 2003, 09:01 AM
malvinas
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd go for an unmodded car- just my feeling that unmodded cars are actually rarer and less likely to have been driven by a boy racer- especially a 5 door. You can then mod it up to your own spec if you so desire- thats what I did.

The price does seem a bit on the high side considering you can by a 4 door from a dealer with warranty for this price. Seems specced up 2 the eyeballs though.
Old 03 April 2003, 09:08 AM
Fmrl
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your help, cheers! I think I'll leave it alone.
Old 03 April 2003, 09:48 AM
Dodge
Scooby Regular

I have a standard car, but I always get the impression that whereas a standard car can be expected to behave as well as a normal, main-stream car, a highly modded car gives a similar kind of ownership experience to a kit-car.

It seems you have to be a lot more understanding with a modded car - it will probably need more care and attention, and quite a bit more cash to keep it healthy...

Maybe its the difference between a owning a shetland pony and a thorough-bred racehorse - one can live for 100 years on a tiny scottish island with no support at all, and the other needs air-conditioned, sterilised stables and a perfectly balanced diet (NF Octane Booster and frequent exercise routine / services) - and it's cheaper to shoot a broken one than to try and fix it!

Am I wrong?
Old 03 April 2003, 09:53 AM
Fmrl
Scooby Newbie

I tend to avoid modified cars - there's the complication of trying to find out exactly what's been done to it, it can be costly on insurance, and it can be difficult to fix if something goes wrong.

And of course, a badly installed modification may actually hamper the performance of the car (and therefore could be the reason why the car is for sale!).

Old 03 April 2003, 10:01 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

bear in mind though that a lot of cars which are for sale "unmodified" have simply had the modified bits taken off - exhausts, induction kits, ECUs, etc are all pretty straightforward.

A well modified car can be a sign of a real enthusiast owner.

Steve

Trending Topics

Old 03 April 2003, 10:07 AM
postie69
Scooby Regular

i've got a terzo for sale go to www.terzo.co.uk it's number 228 The only thing's that have changed is that it's colour coded and a scooby sport back box and has only 27000 miles on it !
Old 03 April 2003, 10:13 AM
Fmrl
Scooby Newbie

I couldn't find it on the Terzo website - how much are you selling it for?
Old 03 April 2003, 10:17 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Equating mods to boy racers and feeling safe in an un mod'd car may be a bit blinkered? The Impreza standard or not brings out "spirited driving" (SN tm) in most people! Probably an enthusiast who can afford to own/keep/mod and Impreza will likely not be in the same league as the thrash it death XR3/XR2/Nova brigade?

I bought a standard car and am now slowly moding it. Bloomin SN's fault! I drive hard sometimes but still respect my car. Does that and the mods mean it is any worse treated than if I left it stock, and am I therefore a boy racer? (32yrs old).

Certainly would not be overly concerned about buying a well looked after mod'd car next time. Clearly you need to know what the mods are and understand them before jumping in though.

Just some thoughts to add to the mix.

Cheers

Matt
Old 03 April 2003, 10:23 AM
postie69
Scooby Regular

i'm looking for 13,000 for it , got into the web site then got to pic's then even more pic's .
this car real is mint ! , fsh every 6 months !
Old 03 April 2003, 10:33 AM
Fmrl
Scooby Newbie

Of course the problem when buying a car is knowing whether it's been looked after or not!

I agree that a modified car probably has been treated better than an un-modified one - you can't always tell this when you're having a quick look at one though.

I'd prefer to have an untouched one to begin with and then modify the car when I felt like it.
Old 03 April 2003, 10:40 AM
Dodge
Scooby Regular

Molds, I guess it doesn't mean that mods = shafted car and unmod = excellent - for instance, it would appear that mine was absolutely shafted by its previous owner, and it's totally standard.

I'm sure a lot of modder's have done a fantastic job, but for an unknowing potential buyer, there is an increased risk of boy-racerism, or harder driving, or badly executed mods, or excessive wear, etc associated with lots of mods...

So, yes perhaps it is blinkered, but in it's defence, it's a lot of money to be blinkered about. It's all about finding an acceptable level of financial risk, I suppose.
Old 03 April 2003, 10:51 AM
scoobyrob
Scooby Regular

look for a standard one then u can mod all u want, i payed £150 for a RAC check which was good. enjoy once u got it!!

rob
Old 03 April 2003, 10:56 AM
postie69
Scooby Regular

it's ture you will never know what the last driver drive's like , a tip take the AA or RAC with you like i did with this car , when your spending that sort of money you will want it to have a good look over by someone who know's what's going on underneath .
my engine is untouched which is the reason i got it , it's only been modded on the outside like the colourcoding and 99 frout bumper , clears, 17ins wheels, the mileage says it all really
Old 03 April 2003, 11:21 AM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

Does that and the mods mean it is any worse treated than if I left it stock, and am I therefore a boy racer? (32yrs old).
Apparantly so if you ask the police. I got stopped from taking my kids into McDonalds a few month ago for being a boy racer - and I'm even older than you! lol

Personally wouldn't buy this car 'cause it's got TART wheels!!!! and they don't go with Red IMHO

BB
Old 03 April 2003, 12:16 PM
Fmrl
Scooby Newbie

One of the things that put me off is that the bonnet doesn't look like it fits properly and the offside front spoiler sticks out a bit. It could've seen some action.
Old 03 April 2003, 12:35 PM
T.J
Scooby Regular

How do you know you are buying an un-modded car? Just look in the For Sale section here, people taking their car back to std cos its easier to sell! Try the showroom, one without plates on it!
Old 03 April 2003, 01:37 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Arrow

Buying a modified Impreza wouldnt scare me at all, as long as it has been looked after well enough, even standard cars have blown up from misuse and lack of servicing.

Personally I'd be happy buying a car with all the trick bits on especially if I was to go down that route again.

I think that as long as the car has had regular servicing, ie oil change every 3-4k, service history, run on the right fuelling as well as the obvious signs of wear and tear it would be fine.

At the end of the day 90% of all the Impreza's on this board (IMO) have been tweaked in one way or another, weather it just be a Stainless Back box or anything like that doesnt mean they are thrashed to bits.

Only you can decide if the car is worth the money that you want to spend....
Old 03 April 2003, 01:58 PM
TC WRX
Scooby Newbie

I've got an immaculate 99S WRX you can have for a lot less than that. Make me an offer...