Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sti 6 Type R

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2003, 03:39 PM
PeteyGB
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to look at a Sti 6 Type R tommorrow, but know very little about this model. Can anyone give me any advice on what to look for?
Plus what are the pros and cons of owning one?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04 April 2003, 04:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Check out www.sidc.co.uk
To start with, this model comes without abs, it does have a centre diff control though (thus the reason no abs) but id leave that alone for awhile
The type r is a 2 door car (like the P1 which is based on an sti type r v5) but you should get lots of goodies like auto aircon, elec folding mirrors and a very nice interior
These cars MUST be run on a MINIMUM of super unleaded fuel (97ron) and octane booster is advised as these cars are mapped for 100+ron fuel and can have problems (expensive problems) if not done so.
Brakes suck (simple fact unfortunately) as 300ps and the standard 4 pots dont go well together, also services are at 7.5k or 6 months, ensure that these have been done (the 1 yearly ones especially done by a speciallist) or else id walk away.
Hope that helps

Tony
Old 04 April 2003, 05:57 PM
wrxstiman
Scooby Regular

services should be every 3500 miles

My brakes are excellent. Mind you a version 5 might differ to a version 6 who knows?

I just run mine on optimax and ok up till now. There are horror stories with every marque.

Make sure u de-cat it and get a blitz exhaust/dump valve. Mine is a superbike slayer now!

Also get your steering geometry tweaked for ulitmate handling and your ECU remapped for more low down torque.

Not much will be in your rear view mirror bar a Porsche GT3!

Old 04 April 2003, 06:00 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 04 April 2003, 06:11 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I heard a while back that in Japan they change the oil more regularly than our 7,500 mile intervals on UK cars. Dont know whether thats because of the car or the Japanese climate. My oil gets changed every 6 months which equates to about 2500 miles max anyway.
Old 04 April 2003, 06:32 PM
black knight
Scooby Regular

i do mine abt every 4000 miles. v4 typr r. brakes do suck big time if you drive it hard.... but no worries, wearing brembos now. even that, not enough for track use as i'm a late brak-er.

type r's i think are well worth the money but do get some problems getting decent insurance compared to P1.
Old 04 April 2003, 06:36 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

even less impressed when they ring the underwriter find out what RA stands for
Old 04 April 2003, 07:04 PM
hypoluxa
Scooby Regular

I think careful questioning of the owner is essential and can be more of an eye opener then actually looking around the car. Don't ask him/her what fuel they run it on, what oil they use etc, because they should be telling you. Don't be swayed on shiny bodywork.

I bought my V5 Type R with 5k on the clock from an enthusiast 2 years ago. He was quite insistent on me not removing the cat and that I was always to use Octane booster. I took this as a good thing

Stating the obvious, I would suggest as much research as possible, and view as many as possible too. Type Rs are very different to other STIs and it may look like a P1 but it certainly doesn't drive like one. Another good thing
Old 04 April 2003, 07:08 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

I got a V5 STi type R a week ago, and have not looked back since! Take the advice others have given me - get a knock link, run on optimax + NF booster, and don't modify much (i.e. only do the backbox) until you have the ECU remapped! These cars are so much more than the UK ones - they go like stink!!!
Old 04 April 2003, 07:39 PM
wrxstiman
Scooby Regular

For SB again

hehe?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????

Old 05 April 2003, 02:08 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Wrxstiman

get ready for a rebuild or run some octane booster, plus a knock link.

Old 05 April 2003, 04:26 PM
sg72
Scooby Regular

Question

I got my STI5 Type R a year ago S'been de-cated and fitted with k+n panel filter.Done 18,000 miles Been serviced and Deltadashed 3times with no adjustment req'd. Running just straight Optimax.As they say,some are good. Some bad.
Old 05 April 2003, 06:26 PM
ragnarock2
Scooby Regular

Got the knock link fitted today, cranked it up to full sensitivity, and went for a blast - can only get 2 green lights on when REALLY gunning it!!! Also, mine seems to run rich (i know all scoobs do this) so I think that mine may be a good'un (but am glad i run on optimax + booster + knock links to be on the safe side!!!)