ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

P1 or Clio V6 ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2003, 02:27 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As they are now roughly the same price, which would you reccomend ?

I've been in a P1 so can comment on that, but not a Clio V6. All I know is they look awesome IMHO.

Any opinions on both cars appreciated.

Thanks

Matt
Old 06 April 2003, 02:37 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

The Clio is slower (raced one in my P1) and doesnt hold its value as well.
Old 06 April 2003, 02:54 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clio is not that much faster than the 172 because of the weight it carries. They do look awsome but we're talking about two completely different cars which are not IMO in the same league.
Old 06 April 2003, 02:55 PM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Red face

I heard the build quality on the Clio was a bit dodgy...only in that they rattle a wee bit. Maybe not up to P1 standards anyway. Makes a bloody good noise though. Not half as many around anyway.
Old 06 April 2003, 02:57 PM
===WRX===
Scooby Regular

errrr the clioV6......just a crappy body kit bonded to a 16v shell..

my old R5gtt used to eat them alive.......cut off the roof plant a nice pear tree or maybe a rasberry bush in there....all its good for.
Like a Nova with a bigboar peco........=all show and no go=

all the best

jay
Old 06 April 2003, 03:23 PM
j_p_h
Scooby Regular

They do look awesome but saying that a P1 looks awesome.. But no match in power terms there all ahow no go.
Old 06 April 2003, 03:32 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I would have a 172 over a V6 clio and a P1 over both of them put together .

Trending Topics

Old 06 April 2003, 03:57 PM
ben j
Scooby Regular

V6 looks nicer and is sooo less common!
Old 06 April 2003, 03:58 PM
ben j
Scooby Regular

oh and can be supercharged for more power!

think about.. every man and his dog's got a scooby, not many have a V6 clio - so what would get the more looks?
Old 06 April 2003, 04:00 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The V6 is a stunning car to look at, and a work of art. I haven't driven one, but given that most people manage to be quicker by some margin in a 172, it'll be a grin but ultimately not that fast.

Totally different beasts, really.
Old 06 April 2003, 04:27 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL a V6 Clio might not be as fast as a Scooby but has a hundred times more style. If you're spending decent money do you really want to have a nice practical four door that's common as a Nova or Saxo? I am serious, I see more Scoobies every day than Novas and about the same number as done-up Saxos. I think they're great cars, Scoobies, but you'll never be able to say that the V6 Clio isn't the hardcore choice...giving up any semblance of boot space, engine in the back, take up two parking spaces, and you certainly won't go unnoticed. Whoever said it's a 16v Clio with a bodykit, you must be some kind of ignoramus, there hasn't been a 16v Clio since 1996 and it was the original shape. All the ones that actually have the smaller 16v engines nowadays aren't really known as 16v. If you had any brain you would work out that it has to have the bodykit because of the much wider track and the engine in the back needs an air feed from the side pod...Wake up!
Old 06 April 2003, 04:40 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I guess from your answer and by looking at your profile you drive a clio Nick . Do you know how many clios, focus, 206s, fiesta, vectras, mondeos, saxos, corsas etc etc I see everyday , anyway what has number of cars on the road got to do with how good a car is .

Cant say I have seen a single V6 clio on the road but I see plenty of 172s. Doesnt make it better because there are less about. Just people prefered to buy something else with their money.
Old 06 April 2003, 05:42 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Also, on a practical point, you can pick up one of the old shape V6 clios for silly money at dealers. I have heard of very silly deals being done...

Do you need practicality and something that you can enjoy in the wet, or individuality? For my money, I'd go for the P1 as they are stunning cars, but parts of me would want the Clio...
Old 06 April 2003, 06:01 PM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

Hello mate,

I have just part ex'd my 172 in for a new STI8. The build quality on the renault was pretty good but I have looked at a couple of V6's and the bodykit really is a crap fit. I think it is very overrated also. My 172 had a janspeed system and that made it pretty close to the V6 on the road. Not sure i would bother if i was you. Good to look at from a distance but up close the build quality is appaling.

Oh and by the way having sold one of me 172's i still have another one to fall back on coz the missis drives one...lol
Old 06 April 2003, 06:12 PM
uksti
Scooby Regular

I saw a V6 on the M4 today - briefly in the RVM - do I win ?

Baz MY02 STi P/Drive + PPP + depreciation..
Old 06 April 2003, 06:22 PM
P1DEN
Scooby Regular

P1 is an evolution of rallying for the road. It is evolved, tested,complete etc.
Clio V6 is an afterthought, classless, without breeding and basically a sales gimmick.

End of debate. Although I'm slightly biased.
Old 06 April 2003, 08:51 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

LOL some good replies...And I stand corrected on the 4 door thing, my mistake so I am an ignoramus too.

But in response to the last post, that's just crazy talk and totally **** backwards...AFAIK the P1 (the UK one, but I'm no expert on them) was a Prodrive special designed for drivers who wanted a bit more car than a standard Scooby - IMHO a 'sales gimmick' and nothing more. I don't recall a P1 race series over here, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Then you claim that the V6 is a gimmick, an afterthought...err no it's not just a 2 door with a different bumper and tuned engine and suspension like a P1...it's as different from the normal Clio as any other mid/rear engine conversion used for racing purposes - which BTW is exactly what the Clio V6 is used for, having its own race series contested by genuine race teams.

Anyway, just to finish up, yes I am biased because I am a Clio owner and always have been, but then so are you lot cos you're Scooby owners. My opinion on the original question is that for the money, Clio or not, I'd want something a bit more individual and special and although I think the P1 is a great car, it just doesn't seem to me to be that different to a normal Scooby. I always liked RB5's though, I keep looking around for them...
Old 06 April 2003, 09:33 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and personally I think the V6 looks miles better. Fare enough the P1 is faster, handles better, has better build quality, has better dealers, but which one do you think will turn most heads. To the untrained eye the P1 is just another Subaru but the V6 sticks out a mile you absolutely cannot miss it, proper in your face styling huge rear tyres, massive flared arches, twin centre exit exhausts, and a mid mounted engine. The V6 isn’t just a Clio expression with a big engine this car was designed and built by TWR (Tom Walkinshaw Racing who design and build cars for Orange Arrows, Benetton, ligier, Holden, Aston, Porsche they even built the Jag XJ220) this car is not built by Renault. So think again when you dismiss it as a “sales gimmick” this isn’t a Clio with a few bolt on goodies this car has its own race series.

Tim.

P.S if you want in your face styling and a Subaru get a 22B.
Old 06 April 2003, 10:15 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh
wee papa id av a P1
but may wee nicol i would to
(in a frenchie acent of course)
Old 06 April 2003, 10:22 PM
===WRX===
Scooby Regular

nice come back Nick.....i like a guy with a sence on humour...
but...yes you are correct too.........***** to it all....were all correct.....MMuuuwwaahhhhhaaaaaaaaa...lol

anyways, what you gonna decide on matey....P1 or a V6 powered frog transporter....lol

all the best

jay
Old 06 April 2003, 11:17 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Well I'm glad that's all settled. V6 Clio or Scooby P1, who knows? It's all up to the individual I suppose. Personally I'll stick to my Clio turbo - and once the clutch and lump are properly run in (only 700 miles to go!), who's up for a race around Essex?
Old 07 April 2003, 12:28 AM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Without doubt I'd go for the V6, as Nick says it's all personal preference!

As far as the body kit fit goes, I think this varies! Nick correct me if I'm wrong but the V6 production was moved from TWR in Sweden to RenaultSport in Frnace due to build quality issues!

Old 07 April 2003, 08:39 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I heard they never got the weight balance right on the Clio V6 - i.e. it likes to kiss it 4rse goodbye.

A French shopping car with flared wheel arches or a rally thoroughbred. Hmm, let me come back to you on that one......

G
Old 07 April 2003, 09:15 AM
Speedy Chap
Scooby Regular

Clio V6 for me

Although I could be tempted by a 22B if anyone is offering
Old 07 April 2003, 10:17 AM
Jonny Knoxville
Scooby Newbie

I drove a V6 Clio a while and having owned a 16v and a Williams, I knew I would love it. They are awesome cars and if you can afford one then I would buy one.

Chiark - where are these deals please as all this talk makes me think I need one to go with the Sccoby!

Cheers,

Dan
Old 07 April 2003, 10:55 AM
taron
Scooby Regular

at least with a p1 you can have more than 1 person with you in it
and you dont have a pompous v6 behind you head!
Old 07 April 2003, 11:09 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Bluenose.....they have moved the construction from TWR to RS, but I think that was only for about the last 10 of the old model and now for the New model.

Being an ex 16v (Phase II) and then 172 owner I am fond of the clio - but I did get fed up with the squeaks and rattles (Not so much the 172).

I have to say (IMO) the V6 is an awesome variant of the clio and I love the looks but performance and driveability I think the P1 would be a better car.

Tony Bailey (I think) of EVO fame gave the V6 a good "End of Term" report mentioning that owning one was like having a mini supercar - all be it for the poor excuse of a stainless steel rear slincer that he replaced.

Andy

MY02 WRX + a few goodies........but maybe a new V6 in a year's time!?!?!?!?
Old 07 April 2003, 01:22 PM
StevieG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Both are great cars, but very hard to compare together. There's a Clio V6 near my home & having looked at it closely, it looks the business IMHO. A very rare care compared to any Scooby, but obviously not as fast. Having said that, my old Clio Williams (Mk1) attracted far more attention than either of my Scoobies ever did, luckily all the attention was positive, even got pulled over by the Police; they just wanted to look at the car.....!
Sometimes its nice to have a car that attracts positive attention, not just one that is blindingly fast.......
Old 07 April 2003, 01:49 PM
JPR
Scooby Regular

A scooby forum is probably not the best place to come on and ask for opinions on a P1 vs a Clio V6, most of us are always going to be biased towards the scoob - Thats why we bought one!

At the end of the day it depends what you want and what your requirements are, only you will know that.

For a not so biased view, your best off going on another motorist forum and asking the folks on there (who don't have a scooby or clio) what they think.

Old 07 April 2003, 02:35 PM
crowt123
Scooby Regular

clio v6..for the looks....if it wasn't bloody french!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: P1 or Clio V6 ?