ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Test drove 03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2003, 09:44 AM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deeply impressed.
Currently running MY00 with Full de-cat, eibachs, group N+ brakes, 17" OZ Superlegs.
I find that the MY00 begs to be driven hard and really there is no such thing as a relaxing drive in this car. I have had it from new and even as standard it is rough really.
Had as much of a press-on test drive as I could and found the following.
Very easy to drive slowly. It doesn't beg to be thrashed as it is really enjoyable to poodle around in.
Steering much lighter at lower speeds.
Low down pull better than even my De-catted car. The decatted MY00 makes a lot of noise but actually doesn't pull so effortlessly as the new WRX. At higher revs > 3000 it pulls harder and longer but the noise it makes in doing so is deafening.
M-way at 80 mph just a little engine noise and tyre roar. Much more refined than MY00 with no mods.
Car feels much tighter when attacking a tight bend at speed and the handling is much more balanced. I would say that the handling behaviour is much the same as my MY00 with Eibachs but that the suspension is far more compliant. It feels like it achieves the same level of grip and feedback but with less effort.
Brakes seem much the same.
Driving position is better and the seats have better adjustment IMHO.
Materials used are of a much better standard and the loss of split/fold rear seats has obviously helped the rigidity of the car.
Finish in areas like the boot is far better. No silly Halfords light in there and no wiring just clipped up inside the boot. A proper loom instead.
New wheels look great and Black is very good looking on the saloon.
An absolute steal at £20k.

Old 07 April 2003, 04:19 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Have to agree!

I bought Silver though.
Old 07 April 2003, 04:22 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

wot about the lovely smooth ride but still 'on the rails' handling

much easier riding position, dont feel so low down and no real feeling of straining from the engine as it pulls easily in any gear at any speed.

am yet to t-drive sti 03 but looking forward to it
Old 07 April 2003, 04:26 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Just can't decide to bite the bullet and spend another c£9k to 'upgrade' to MY03.
Seems criminal waste of money when I have had my MY00 from new and only covered 18k.
Going to try a quieter BB and resonated centre before I part with that much cash.
Old 07 April 2003, 05:56 PM
sjtscott
Scooby Newbie

Hi my first post here on Scoobynet...

I test drove a MY03 WRX on Saturday morning, my first drive in a Scooby of any description.
Overall quite impressed with how the car handles and went >3k revs and stopped.

One thing that I wasn't impressed with however the amount of lag... it really does nothing until 3k... is there anything that could be done i.e. tuning wise to sort this?? Would something like an ECU remap (chip) sort it?

e.g. To attempt to put my point in perspective, the engine response on a Leon Cupra 180bhp is pretty instant (around 1.5k revs) so you could stick your foot to the floor in third at these revs and it takes off effortlessly. Am I missing the point expecting this sort of behaviour from a WRX?

Regards

Scotty
Old 07 April 2003, 06:47 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I have just traded in a Seat Leon Cupra for a WRX (with PPP).

The lag is vastly reduced with the PPP fitted - without it, I agree that it feels sluggish compared to the Cupra (it isn't, just feels that way). The Cupra was a really smooth ride.

Also the Cupra loosened up a lot as I drove it - I am assuming the WRX will as well.

Comparing the 2, the Subaru is significantly faster from a standing start, has better breakes and handles a lot better (stereo not as good and I miss the leather) - I liked the Cupra a lot but would not swap back.
Old 07 April 2003, 08:41 PM
Pro Boy
Scooby Regular

Do it

The classic just keeps losing money and get the ppp fitted

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2003, 08:49 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

PPP will lose at least 50% when you come to resell. A new car will depreciate more than a second hand one.
Old 08 April 2003, 01:57 PM
Vate
Scooby Regular

Thanks for stating the bl***ng obv. m8!
From what I have seen/heard PPP is massively quieter than full decat.
I know the 'classic' will only continue to dpreciate but I don't wish to throw £9k into another car that will lose £3-4k at least in a year when the classic will only drop £2k or so. The depreciation curve tends to start to decline after 3yrs.
For the sake of a few hundred quid I can live with the 'classic' almost indefinitly TBH.
I too out a friend's S3 210bhp over the weekend. Oh dear. A golf V5 is a much nicer car indeed.
Old 08 April 2003, 03:04 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The car really is much more composed. Evo summed it up for me - "you never feel that there's more grip than handling". My MY00 was fantastic, loved it, but to me there was more grip than handling.

I was driving at around 7/10ths yesterday (ie with plenty more to give) and the car felt fantastic - much more communicative than the 00.

You will lose more money changing. If you wait a year, the MY04 will be out, MY03s will be less money and it'll cost you less to change because yours'll lose bugger all and the new car will lose lots
Old 04 July 2003, 08:51 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

and if you dont like the noise anymore dont decat or ppp it either

[Edited by chrisp - 4/7/2003 8:51:43 PM]