ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Buying private - no warrnaty left?

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2003, 11:21 AM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm off to look at a MY00 UK Turbo with 25,000 on the clock tonight. It pretty much fits my criteria (although I'm still undecided on colour) but I think its out of warranty. Subaru tell me you can only buy extensions if it is supplied by them so my question is? In your humble opinions - do I a) pass it up and wait for another which has warranty left, b) Just do it (if it checks out) or c) Just do it and buy a 3rd party warranty cover (any experiences would be helpful).

Thanks,

Tony
Old 24 April 2003, 11:36 AM
Blobster
Scooby Regular

Talking

An MY00 may just have a bit of warranty left, but if not, IMO I can't see a main dealer passing up the opportunity to sell you an extended warranty for 3-4 hundred notes.
Like you say there's always the 3rd party warranty route.

You also need to consider mods to the car. If you plan on doing any you may well invalidate any warranty anyway. Plus the car may already have had mods done.

You could always just save your planned warranty money and use for repairs should anything go wrong.

Good luck
Old 24 April 2003, 11:44 AM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Good point. I've just asked the guy and it turns out that the original manufacturers warranty runs out on May 7th! Do I need to get him to buy the extended one or can I buy it off him and then get the extension myself?

Cheers,

Tony
Old 24 April 2003, 11:51 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

providing it does not run out you can extend it for a further 2 years
Old 24 April 2003, 12:02 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Dillinga, You can just turn up at any Subaru dealers yourself before the existing warranty runs out and pay the £404 for the 2 years extended warranty (with Subaru Assistance breakdown cover included).
They have conditions though : that the car must be UK dealer supplied (I assume yours is since the warranty runs out this year) and it must be fully serviced to the schedule.
Also as Blobster has said, any non Subaru approved modification will invalidate any warranty – your choice !!
Old 24 April 2003, 12:20 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Dillinga,
Any chance you could mail me offline??
Old 24 April 2003, 12:38 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Do you also have to pay £40 to transfer the original warranty to your name?
Old 24 April 2003, 01:05 PM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Fish - you have mail.

Can anyone else confirm a fee to warranty transfer? I thought it was related to the car not the person?

Cheers.
Old 24 April 2003, 03:16 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

No fee to transfer. just fill in a form in the log book and it's done
Old 24 April 2003, 03:36 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Subaru UK told me that I could take out a warranty through a Dealer if the original warranty had expired.

I'm not sure if it's the same as the extended one or a cut-down version. Basically the Dealer checks the car and evaluates whether it's OK to warranty.

Best option is just to extend it if it's still under the original 3yr warranty. Phone Subaru UK (IM) and give them the reg#. They'll tell you straight off if it is or not. They'll also give you advice on what to do if it isn't.

Stefan
Old 24 April 2003, 03:55 PM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Ozzy cheers for the info.

I'm intending to extend it before expiry but it would be nice to check for definite if if is still in warranty or not (providing i buy it!!!). Can you let me know the number to call?

Cheers.
Old 24 April 2003, 04:15 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Sorry m8, I don't have a note of it.

Try a search for International Motors or Subaru UK. I know it starts with 0121, but the rest is a blank.

Stefan
Old 24 April 2003, 04:17 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Try this one - 0121 522 2000. Ask for Subaru Warranty.

Stefan
Old 24 April 2003, 04:38 PM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Hmmm, interesting. I've just phoned Subaru UK and they rekon that the Warranty ran out on 01/03/03 (i.e registered 01/03/03). The guy I'm seeing tonight rekons that his warranty runs out 07/05/03 - anyone think of how this could be?

Cheers...
Old 24 April 2003, 04:56 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

pre registered by the garage he bought the car from?
Old 24 April 2003, 05:13 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

yep, I reckon that's the case. I know mine ran out 3yrs after the date of registration and not the date I bought the car (was only a couple of days anyway).

You could always argue your case with Subaru UK if you can show that the car was actually bought 2 months later. Either argue that it's still under warranty or argue that they should show you some leeway and still allow you to extend the warranty whether it's expired or not.

Stefan
Old 24 April 2003, 05:19 PM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

In my opinion I wouldnt bother, Id take the risk personally, but there again as long as you choose the right car to me it wouldnt be that much of a risk. As a last resort Id prefer to spend 100 notes an inspection of some kind.

Someone pointed out that Subaru will take a look and decide if its worth a warranty, basically is this going to cause us problems and money or is it an easy £400. I reckon 96% its easy money.

Scoobies are meant to be as reliable arent they as long as theyve been looked after.

Ive got a European sourced MY00 which I imported from Holland, 17k on the clock, no problems to report and I only had a one year warranty, didnt bother me one little bit cos I knew I would look after it as if its a child.

Chris
Old 24 April 2003, 05:34 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

There's also the otherside of the coin with another fellow Scoobynetter from Edinburgh who's slightly out of pocket due to an expensive engine rebuild after it blew up. There was nothing untoward with his motor and it ran faltlessly for 60K miles.

It's just like an insurance policy. If you don't claim you've just spent £400 on nothing, but when something major goes you'll be thankful you have it. Sods Law says you'll pass and it'll blow sky high - you just don't know. Chances are slim, but ask yourself if it's really worth the risk.

Stefan
Old 24 April 2003, 05:41 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
ive got a 3 year old scoob with 24k on the clock and ive let my warranty slide, one of the main reasons for the cars having trouble will be mods and the warranty will not cover your *** on mods, plus dealer services are a joke price you have to be one unlucky man for something drastic to happen
Old 25 April 2003, 08:29 AM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

Ozzy,

I genuinely see your point and understand this is the reason why many people do insist on a warranty but as you say the chance is slim. In fact the chance is extremely remote, think of all those people whove paid there £400 and I reckon 1 out of 100 might need to claim and of all the claims very few would be engine rebuilds.

The difference with insurance is you have to have that, to be honest if you didnt I reckon I would even possibly risk not taking any out. Im 29, Ive always had hot hatch cars before my Subaru and so my premiums havent been cheap, maybe on average £700 a year, thats £9100 over 12 years. I havent made one claim. In truth I would take insurance if its optionally but these costs put it in to perspective especially that the majority of people go through life claim free.

The gentleman above said the MY00 had 25k on it, thats a long way of the 60k mark and on this mileage I wouldnt bother.

I hope Im not tempting fate saying all this and my engine falls out of my car next week!!! DOH!
Old 25 April 2003, 10:09 AM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Oh well, cheers for the help guys. Alas the seller couldn't extend the warranty and someone else offered him far above what I had so she's gone. Think I'm gonna have to compromise between a low private price and lack of warranty... Until the next one!

Cheers,

Tony
Old 25 April 2003, 10:12 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

ah well, that's the way things go I'm afraid. Better luck next time. There's loads of Scoobs for sale, so you've got plenty to choose from.

I know of a lad up here in Scotland who has a 99 Impreza with just 6K miles. Trouble is every mile of that is weekend cross-country 110% blasts. It's been well looked after, regularly serviced, warmed-up and all that, but don't assume a low milage one is any more reliable than a 50-60K one. In fact you could argue that a 60K car has been very reliable.

Good luck,

Stefan
Old 25 April 2003, 10:18 AM
Dillinga
Scooby Newbie

Yeah - thats true Ozzy. I just have this thing when buying cars that I must get as low milage as possible so that if I have it for 2-3+ yrs its still not got too much on the clock. Typically if I pushed my boundary up to the 30k+ limit then my choice might be easier...

Old 25 April 2003, 10:18 AM
The Maive
Scooby Regular

Ozzy,

Youre not half a pessimist arent you!!! Majority of cars can be easily identified as being knackered, yes odd ones could spring a suprise but as you say that is a very small risk that personally I would be willing to take. It sounds like you wouldnt and you would pay your extra £400 on each car, thats fair enough, its your money.

Maive
Old 25 April 2003, 10:37 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Talking

pessimist - who me?

Nah, just been unlucky in the past and got stung for repairs. Nothing that would bankrupt you, but enough to rethink just how reliable cars are and how previous owners report on maintaining them. Once bitten and all that.

Just want to point out the negative. The only positive aspect is you'll save yerself £400. Use that for a holiday and forget the car if it does go a bit Pete Tong

Stefan