Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Exporting a car abroad without an MOT

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2003, 04:53 PM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just managed to flog my wifes old spitfire on Ebay, unfortunately the winning bidder is from Germany!
Does anyone know if once the car is sold and V5 signed and dated is the car no longer our responsibilty?
Personally and legally I dont think the car should be driven without an MOT, especially all the way to Germany although it would give it a good run!
I mean what if the guy kills himself or someone else because the brakes dont work effectively?
He said something about some sort 5 day cover insurance, I dont know if that is like a temporary trade plate which entitles him to drive said car for up to 5 days before getting it registered in DE, but if the car is unroadworthy I would have thought it wouldn't count.
Anyone got any experience in this?

Cheers,

John.
Old 24 April 2003, 05:14 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Sicey

An MOT is not worth the paper it is written on in Germany so don't worry about it. The person buying the car will have to get it TÜVd in order to get German plates on the car and believe me the MOT is a walk in the park in comparison.
Also as the car is imported it will need to be tested from scratch from the ground upwards the best person to talk to about this would be Re-Bitten Hero as he had to do it with his scooby.

Regards

Steve

[Edited by Wurzel - 4/24/2003 5:16:22 PM]
Old 24 April 2003, 05:16 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

The car still needs to be road legal in the country of origin for it to be driven on the road. With out an MOT he will be commiting an offence certainly in the UK, and I don't doubt it will be illegal in Germany too.
Old 25 April 2003, 09:50 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Not if the guy takes German red delivery plates with him and uses them instead of the original British plates, but then he has 2-5 days to get the car off the road. He will be able to get a set of these plates from a dealer in Germany.
Old 25 April 2003, 07:47 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Like the guys say above about number plates etc...

Better make sure the car is in 100% original, good condition to get it TÜV'd here in Germany, and the process is a bit of a nightmare. However, it is possible to do, they just need to be patient - and if they're German then they'll be well used to the TÜV. And I've seen the odd TR2 and the like here, so it must be possible.

Not sure about legal liability - best bet would be to contact the AA or RAC and ask them. That way you know it's right, rather than just "I guess..." stuff from us.

Good luck to you all!

Cheers
Richard

[Edited by Re-Bitten Hero - 4/25/2003 7:48:16 PM]
Old 26 April 2003, 07:02 AM
Sicey
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies guy!
I even looked on the DVLA website about MOT's and selling abroad but the website is crap, will be phoning them on Monday!

John.