MY02 STi 3rd Gear Acceleration Testing

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2003, 01:25 PM
fatcatwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

MY02 STi 3rd Gear Acceleration Testing

A few of us were able to conduct some acceleration tests today between cars of various stages of tune. The cars were basically moved off the mark in first gear to approx 15km/h before being shifted to 3rd and WOT applied (long before any usable boost is available). As the car passes 40km/h the AP22 starts logging and the following results were achieved. (I wouldn't read into the kW, it's not accurate as the car details were not entered into the AP22)

Graph:

Data:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~gerro...d_gear_acc.txt

Interestingly enough I would've thought that the S15 would've jumped ahead a little at the start, without the whole STi "lag" issues everyone complains about so often. This isn't the case and it seems as though the stock intake/exhaust are just too restrictive for this to occur.

Car 1 with it's basic breathing mods seems to be quite far ahead early on with it's ability to make usable power whilst car 2 & 3 track a similar line up until ~70km/h. It would seem as though this is where the larger turbo on car 3 starts it's ability to wind up the boost. From here on, even though car 3 is running .15 bar less boost, it still has the ability to start reeling in car 1. Unfortunately because of the boost limit on car 3 we were not able to find out if the top end of car 3 would've been great enough to pull in car 1 before redline.

We'll hopefully have some more testing results available soon when car 3 is running at full boost. We've also got another S15 or two with differing levels of tuning to compare against the stock car. Unfortunately we didn't have access to a stock STi to use as a "control" car on the day... they're just getting harder and harder to find these days. ;-)

Regards,

Gerrod

(Little disclaimer: These tests were conducted in controlled conditions on closed roads)

[Edited by fatcatwrx - 4/27/2003 1:31:44 PM]
Old 27 April 2003, 01:29 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great! Plse do keep us posted!