03 WRX (PPP) Have you done it ?????

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2003, 12:56 PM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi all,
Need some hard facts about adding the ppp to my 03 wrx.
Can any of you peeps who have upgraded already, Please give me the full sp on the upgrade.
Please feel free to add as much detail as you can.

Many thanks.

Chris.
Old 01 May 2003, 01:27 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Talking

Excellent - Just do it !!
Only minor 'downside' I feel is that the max boost seems to come in at 3400rpm, rather than 3000 on the classic scoob I had last.

Sorry about the lack of detail
Old 01 May 2003, 05:00 PM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

Chris

Blip posted recently on this issue. He found a hesitation or flat spot on the accelleration and attributed it to the PPP, which seemed to be confirmed by several replies reporting the same problem. No-one with PPP came forward to refute it. I was close to ordering Prodrive for my 03, but it runs without any such problem right now and I don't feel too keen to pay £1600 to lose the sharpest part of the car's performance. It would be good to hear this topic ressurrected as it does seem odd that the magazine articles (eg. this month's EVO) failed to report any such anxiety, and I really would like to upgrade if it gets the all-clear.

Dave
Old 01 May 2003, 05:03 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I was one that mentioned the hesitation problem - I would say though that its only slight and the performance with the PPP is much better than without it.

Old 01 May 2003, 06:46 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Yep - as CupraT says it is only slight, although some days I notice it more than others. Today it felt really bad.

I spent some time on www.clubwrx.net American Impreza forums and found that absolutely loads of guys over there are talking about the exact same hesitation in the power delivery on standard and modified WRX's. They don't have PPP over there (as far as I can tell) but many fit a Unichip which is probably similar to the ECU fitted by Prodrive (which I have been told is only a Superchip anyway). I found numerous posts talking about a grounding mod which supposedly smooths out the hesitation and flat spots. Lots of guys swear by it, lots say it is complete bull. It's to do with earthing the engine properly so that current fluctuations near the sensors don't give the ECU false readings, and cause bad fuelling (in a nutshell).

Either way it sounds as if hesitation in the WRX is not uncommon (certainly in the states). Makes me feel a bit better, at least I know I'm not imagining it, and it may just be that the PPP makes it more noticable. Also your driving style will have an awful lot to do with whether you can feel it or not. Keep the revs high, accelerate hard and you might not feel it. Drop the revs and use the low down torque to pull through the powerband and that's when I feel it.

CupraT is right though, the car is very quick with the Prodrive Pack, but I personally expect things to be right when I hand over a wad of my hard earned cash for something, and to me this car doesn't feel right.

I get hesitation and flat spots from just under 3000rpm up to about 4500rpm, whether gradually building revs or foot hard down. There is definite fluffiness and stuttering. I also find I can feel flat spots or surging if I try and hold certain revs, and equally when decelerating or lifting slightly during hard acceleration can get very abrupt surging.

Don't really know where the problem is although I may try the grounding mod thing, as it is cheap and easy to do. Nothing to lose really.

Either way I would have expected that both Subaru and Prodrive have been at this game for long enough to eliminate issues like this. I do feel disappointed as this is my first Impreza and I waited so long to get one.

So to sum up - PPP does make the car faster, and may have nothing to do with this hesitation at all. If I get to the bottom of it I'll let you know.
Old 01 May 2003, 06:49 PM
Jimmy wrx
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Anyone else got any feedback on this ,cos I am well interested on having it done !!!

Just the pennies holding me back .....any plus info
Old 01 May 2003, 07:01 PM
Jimmy wrx
Scooby Regular

Blip .....Have you had a word with pro-drive about this ?
Old 01 May 2003, 07:07 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

No I haven't yet although I do intend to.

I get the impression Prodrive don't like to deal with 'customers' directly, they would rather it was done through the Subaru dealer.

However, having been back to my dealer and them basically saying there is nothing wrong with my car I think I need to speak to Prodrive.

What I would really like to do is take my car up to Banbury, let Prodrive drive it and see what they say. I don't care if I have to pay someone for their time, I'd just like a definitive expert opinion.
Old 01 May 2003, 07:12 PM
Jimmy wrx
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think they would be more than happy help you !

Give them a mail .If there is a problem ,best to sort it ,than loose a huge amount of money on bad press.
Old 01 May 2003, 07:23 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I test drove an MY03 with PPP and it felt superb and really responsive. I only drove it to test the PPP. I decided there and then to have it fitted to my car (MY02) and I must say I feel it is the best £1600 I have spent. It certainly transforms the MY02, massive torque (261lb/ft) gives effortless grunt, no need to rev the nuts off to make her go It feels nowhere near as eager as that MY03 did though I suppose thats down to the improvements to the throttle response on the standard MY03 over the MY02.
I recommend anybody who has a MY03 (or 01/2 for that matter) get it fitted as and when funds allow.

Yorkie
Old 01 May 2003, 08:19 PM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to answer.

Can i just say, If you take your car to a scooby dealer to have the ppp fitted then it does not work as claimed, I would "under the sale of goods act" take the car back to be tested.

I know you can get fobbed off, But HOLY COW £1600, I want her to be as smooth as silk. If it dosent do what i says on the tin, PLEASE PLEASE take it back.

I feel i can't now stump up £1600, And just hope is not going to happen to me.

PLease keep us posted of any further developments.

cheers chris
Old 01 May 2003, 09:00 PM
Jimmy wrx
Scooby Regular

well said chris
Old 01 May 2003, 09:58 PM
Davestamf
Scooby Regular

This is such a peculiar thread. There is quite clearly a problem that seems associated with the Prodrive package. For the umpteenth time; my 03 WRX is smooth - no hesitation - no flat spot - no problem. Could someone please explain why I should risk losing this condition? As Blip says, when you pay that kind of money, you expect it to be right. How come there are no posts contradicting this problem? The best we have so far is "It's not that bad", which is hardly a convincing argument in favour.

Dave
Old 01 May 2003, 11:30 PM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

I have to agree dave.

Lets hope lots of other owners prove us wronge.

"WHERE ARE YOU ALL!!!!!!!"

CHRIS.
Old 01 May 2003, 11:34 PM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

As an after thought, All drivers with the glitch, Have a mass drive to prodrive. We wil be heard!!! LOL.
Old 02 May 2003, 07:24 AM
davek
Scooby Regular

I've got to say im really surprised at this thread.
My wrx with ppp has been run in for a couple of months now and i have had plenty of occasions to really put it through its paces.
And i've got to say it hasn't dissapointed or let me down once ( as an audi tt driver found a couple of weeks ago ).
It pulls hard to at least 6k and on some occasions it has almost caught me out by hitting the red line so quick.
I can honestly say i've found no hesitation or flat spots which is more than i can say for my previous de-catted my00. And myself and everyone who as been in my 03 have have said it is noticebly quicker than my 00.
As for blip there must be a fault or maybe incorrect fitting cos its hard to believe its the same car that im having so much fun in.
Personally i would advise anyone who can to do it, the sound is sweet, the extra torque is a big bonus, and it pulls IMO very well.

dave.
Old 02 May 2003, 09:07 AM
ipb32
Scooby Regular

Had PPP fitted from new to my MY03 WRX- no probs at all. I used to have an STi 7 and got rid of it for various reasons. The WRX with PPP is much more driveable than the STi without PPP.

Ian
Old 02 May 2003, 10:56 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Sometimes i get like a 'double hit' rather that a flat spot, 2nd 'go' comes at about 4500 sometimes, most of the time its like an electric motor (2500 - 6000) nice smooth delivery. just dont lift at all if on full boost, it just seems to dump the lot!

Simon
Old 04 May 2003, 10:04 AM
spanner75
Scooby Regular

cutlers of streetly have a o3 wrx demo with the ppp in world rally blue which is up for sale drove this for a 2 days when they worked on my bug eye i think it is v quick reported figs of 0-60 4.8 and tops out at 155mph (never got it that high)t is loads better than my bug eye , even in standard form . did,nt find a flat spot but like i said only drove it for two days
Old 06 May 2003, 03:41 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'm busy researching for my 1st Scoob purchase and upto now have been certain that I will import my own from EU, or buy from an importer. A scoobynet regular (stand up T5NYW) informed me on 5th Gears forum that he thinks the PPP can only be booked in for fitting at the dealer you originally purchased from. As I don't want to become a regular on North Sea Ferries, is this correct ? Or can I book it at my local, or arrange it through Prodrive personally ?
Old 06 May 2003, 04:05 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I may be wrong but I dont think you can PPP an EU one, sort of for the reason you said, I think.

I'm not sure, and I'm certain that someone that does know will chime in at some point, but I think thats the case I'm afraid.

Old 06 May 2003, 10:25 AM
integrale
Scooby Regular

yep it's true...as it stands you have to get a dealer from the country the car originally came from to fit the PPP (so make sure you get your car from either holland or belgium !). theres more info on a newer thread on this forum, have a look.
By the way, are there any owners of EU WRX's on here that are looking to get there cars PPP's ? if so get in contact with me. it'd be really usefull to share some info on this convoluted shi##tty red tape issue.
Old 06 May 2003, 05:02 PM
spanner75
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

ppp is an after market fit to get round the eu emissions rules any dealer can fit it at anytime.( just phoned mine to ask)

gareth