Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Best way to get compensation for poor work dun on air con breaking other parts?

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2003, 08:00 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right now earlier in the week i had the bearings changed in my air con unit as it had started making a noise after having all belts etc changed at the last service. Initially all well & good but then it started making a different noise which when shown to the knowledgable types at a scooby meet today it emerged the timing belt was so tight the bearing or sumin in the tensioner was totally feked & in addition to this the pulley on the tensioner starting to rub into the plastic cover at the front of engine as well as the pulley on the air con being sumwot bent where they forced it back on & the 2 month old timing belt is also sumwot worse for wear![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Now by my reckoning (since i had only bort the tensioner & belt 2 months earlier so no how much those bits cost!) that's gota be at least £300 or so that has been mullered On that note wood them being new be any excuse for the shockingly quick way these muppets managed to break em?
So in addition to wanting the £84 they initially charged me for the work back what is my standing with getting further money back for all this damage & wot is the best way to go about getting it?
Si
Old 08 June 2003, 08:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Si-

Take it back to where it was done and show them exactly what other people have pointed out to you.

If you approach them in the correct manner them I'm sure they will amend everything because it is clearly their workmanship that is at fault.

If they are reluctant then plan B is required, knock him out!

Old 08 June 2003, 08:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Act fast, give them 7 days to come up with a suitable agreeable solution, they may, if they don't take out a summons on them in the Small Claims Court - for whatever it has cost you to put it right.

They will pay up as its cheaper that way - just do NOT flinch and be a right 4rse about getting it put right!

Pete
Old 08 June 2003, 09:13 PM
ianmiller999
Scooby Regular

Make sure you give them a time limit to deal with it within.
Old 08 June 2003, 09:19 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

hard to show em how tight the belty was as mechanic at meet took it off b4 sumin even more severe happened but i will see what the muppets in question have to say but i aint wanting them to touch car again but i will try my luck for money & will take past invoice to show costs & see if they try & fob me off.....
Si (b4stard hat to be fitted but i'm usually such a nice boy)
Old 09 June 2003, 11:30 AM
simo
Scooby Regular

Si

bummer m8 hope u get it sorted out quickly)

can we ask where it was done?

simon
Old 09 June 2003, 12:27 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

sum relatively back street air con place
Just off to Roger Clarkes to get a nice quote & then pop in unexpected to 4mention air con place & c wot they say!
Si
Old 09 June 2003, 12:52 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it to at least two reliable scoob repair places, get their viewpoints. You can then go in with "Other experts tell me", rather than what they will interpret as "A bunch of guys in shell suits tell me". No offence, but that is how scooby meets have been treated in the past by garages. If you get other garages, you have an independent expert to rely on, it makes your case stronger. And if the garages charge you for an estimate, make sure you charge it back to your first place.

Good luck.
Old 09 June 2003, 01:41 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

Si reading through your threads im abit onfused as to what the problem is ??
You say youve had some work done on the aircon, all was good but a noise came back which you say that the..
timing belt was so tight the bearing or sumin in the tensioner was totally feked
What has the timing belt got to do with the aircon?
You also say that someone removed the belt at the meet before something else happened, so im guessing your talking about the aircon belt not the timing belt ? as you wouldnt get far without a timeing belt
So that now brunge me to the question of the tensioner,the tensioner for nthe aircon is a slotted piece of flat steel with a pulley, nut, threaded bar and a plastic piece that the bar goes through.
I bought these bits from Subaru for something like £20 and the belts are about £20 each so either im talking about a totaly different part or you have been well and truly ripped off ??
If youve got any questions give me a ring on my mobile.

Andy
Old 09 June 2003, 03:32 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Let us know the outcome of this as people often forget to post what happens next.

Cheers

Chris

Old 09 June 2003, 03:47 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

my memory is perfect i will never forget
Bob (er i mean Si )
Old 09 June 2003, 05:04 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

i wish i'd gone to these
Si
Old 02 July 2003, 08:16 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

OK just to update you all
Finally got it sorted as of last weekend. The problem was the tensioner pulley had been put on the wrong way round & whether this was directly a cause or whether he hadnt tightened it enough the bolt holding that pulley in place had fallen out & the pulley then fell against the belt cover etc etc. Anyway i now have a new tensioner thingamy & belt which he had fitted the previous week although it was still making an unhealthy noise which was allegedly caused by the butched air con pulley which was a tad bent from where they'd whacked it to get it off Anyway i didnt initially think it was this as it sounded more metallic to my ignorant ear Anyway one new air con pulley later & it is all running scweeet so it was that & i do now have functionning air con & while i didnt get anything to compensate for the light scratching to the cover i'm still quite happy to have air con back after sweating my *** off the last few weeks (did get sum good MPG driving to the big one etc thou )
So basically the company did rectify there mistakes at their expense with no arguements etc whatsoever so i'm quite happy with that but undecided if i'd use them again
Si
Old 02 July 2003, 08:46 AM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Glad to see you got it sorted and nice to see the post updated with success. I think you have given the garage the benefit of the doubt and now maybe you should look else were.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 06 September 2003, 12:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[Edited by Brendan Hughes - 6/9/2003 12:53:33 PM]
Old 06 September 2003, 03:23 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

hey i told u i was a technical retard i got my technical terms & thus costing a bit mixed up it's more like a tun for the bits which have gone awry + wotever a pulley bit for the air con will cost if i can get 1......
Bloke was very apologetic & wants to have a look at the tensioner on saturday to see what went wrong but i think the clue is in the fact he said oh i replaced the bearings in that as they looked very worn. Well they sure r worn now whether it b c/o overtightened belt or wotever. I'm guna take it back so he can have a look but i did say to be honest & maybe paranoid i'd rather get those bit replaced by subaru expertese
So in summary no deal dun but he did seem very willing to make up for faulty work which maynot prove as fiscally rewarding & may yet prove to be harder work but hey thats just my paranoia striking up again at least i shudnt be vastly out of pocket
Si (mechanical mongol extraordinair)

edited 4 typo so as not to have too many confusing threads

[Edited by scooby_si - 6/9/2003 3:25:10 PM]