Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

My car STOLEN today.....and recovered (Read on)

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 09:33 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Everyones nightmare...
Around a friends house today sorting out her computer.Scoob parked up outside.see this dodgy looking black geezer loitering around back of flats.
20 mins later hear a noise in flat and investigate.She didnt realise that she had left the window open.guy had climbed in and took my laptop bag and scoob keys and legged it. I ran outside to check on the car and it was gone!!!
Phoned police and they were around in a flash.NAVTRAK on car so they had in tracked in 15 mins. then the chase started with all the coppers in the Wood Green area of North London in pursuit. Tracked him in a traffic jam, raced up alongside him and boxed him in. F****r wouldnt get out the car, so they batonned the glass in and hauled him out.
The detectives then drove the car back to me where i checked her over.Not too much damage apart from all the glass and a few dents in drivers door(hopefully where they rammed his head as they dragged him out!)
bag with all my laptop/mobile/cards etc still not found as he must have stashed it somewhere but they are in the middle of "asking"him now.
Windsceen people dont have the glass in stock(whats new) so have to sit watching the car outside house until 2 a.m tomorrow when they will come to fix it.
friend in tears because she now fears for her safety as he knows where she lives
Wife (and new baby) upset and worried
Me-spitting mad, pissed off and up for some revenge.have to do an identity parade later on so hopefully get to see the toe-rag again.

Not good but lets give thanks for some things:
NAVTRAK-get it if you dont have it.its the best money i ever spent. car taken 2 p.m car recovered 2:50 p.m
Police-on the ball and very helpful.I can claim from them the damage incured
London traffic-any quieter roads and the detective said that in the scoob they would have had no chance of catching him

Will update you guys when i get more news from the coppers.

Old 11 June 2003, 09:46 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Unhappy

So sorry to hear that. Keep your eyes peeled.
Best wishes
Steve
Old 11 June 2003, 09:49 PM
brandy76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Glad to hear you got the car back and nobody was hurt mate.
Jokers like that should be made an example of and sent to prison for a couple of years.(or have their hands chopped off)
Not right that the police should pay for the damage to your car though. It should be payed by the joker who stole it.
I would like to think my taxes are being spent on worth while causes and not patching up damaged cars.

Old 11 June 2003, 09:53 PM
rb5037
Scooby Regular

Sorry to here this mate. You were very lucky and also unlucky.
At least you got your baby back.

Tell your worried friend not to worry. Most people that do this do it for their habbits and are on drugs at the time so would not remember where they were. They will have no need to come back anyway. It's not as if you or your friend had anything to do with the arrest of him. That was the police 20 miles away. I dought he even lives in your area.
Don't worry and keep the house sucure (sp?)

Ps Good luck on the all nighter. If your to worried disconect the HT leads to prevent it starting. Don't forget where they all come from.

Bast of luck
Adam
Old 11 June 2003, 09:54 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

Bad luck mate, makes me think I should buy a tracker instead of some new wheels...
Old 11 June 2003, 10:16 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm glad you've got your motor back but sorry you (& your family/friends) have had to go through the ordeal.

Question. Were the police helpful because when I lost a Navtrak'd vehicle, I had to go in person to report it at a station BEFORE they'd even contact Navtrak to do something - or was it Navtrak had to call them with a CRN...

We once had to tell plod a chase was in progress (one of ours following the stolen vehicle) before they did anything

Problem was (Navtrak agreed) in London & Somerset/Avon

Nice to know they've changed their tune
Old 11 June 2003, 10:21 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Thx for all the replies guys
Its nice to know that you lot out there have pretty much the same sentiments as me.
Adam.have just popped out now to do the HT leads
john coffey-buy the tracker mate instead of the wheels.The tracker gives you that added bit of piece of mind and look how much it helped me today.
then save for the wheels like mad afterwards.Not much joy in having nice new rims when they are off down the road and you have no idea when they went or where they are...
P.S get the standard NAVTRAK as it does the job but the only difference is you have to notice the car gone rather them calling you.

Updates soon when my friendly PC calls me

Trending Topics

Old 11 June 2003, 10:25 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

good news, more details on navtrack would be nice.
if at all possible, please mail them.

Andy@cbr600.org.uk
Old 11 June 2003, 11:35 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

PUFF-police(Wood Green) were very hepful and when i first said that i had a tracker fitted, they immediately ativated all their tracker systems that they had in the cars.But i think it may differ from the actual NAVTRAK system, so one call later to NAVTRAK control, a couple of security questions and they were on the case right away. 15 mins later they called back with a progress report detailing roughly where the car was.She did not want to give exact location as she probably thought i would start the chase myself (with what car???). She passed on the details via the police to me, who then informed all their vehicles. They also had CCTV around the area that the poilce had access to and spotted him nearby.then NAVTRAK homed them in and rest was history.
I know that some people have had bad or lackless respones from our local plod, me included in the past, but today i couldnt fault them.

Peanuts.mail is on the way
Old 11 June 2003, 11:58 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Tony , is your car on a driveway and does your wife have a car?

i used to live in a dodgy area but i had a nice company car, i used to box it in with my brothers car, if so, use your wifes car to box it in and disconnect the leads

glad you got it back
Old 12 June 2003, 07:43 AM
bigJoe
Scooby Regular

Hey ST

Glad you got your car back, at least he thrash it to much either (london traffic is good for something I guess)

Just a thought, can’t the police use the tracker info to see if he stopped to deposit your computer etc?

It just goes to show you’ve gotta be so careful

At least they got him though, but he’ll probably be “sentenced” with a holiday somewhere sunny
Old 12 June 2003, 07:52 AM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear that, but glad you got it back and no one was hurt (physically).

Peter
Old 12 June 2003, 08:52 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

glad you got your car back mate, sorry to hear about what happened.

that b@stard should have both his hands cut off.

Old 12 June 2003, 09:36 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Very glad that you got it back and that no real damage was done. Don't worry about ****** coming back, it sounds very opportunistic and he probably couldn't believe his luck. Or at least that's what I'd tell myself.

Glad I got the new WRX tracked too...

Navtrak do two systems now, the proactive and the Navtrack ADR.

Proactive is excellent, ADR is the dog's conkers. Neither solution is cheap though

Old 12 June 2003, 09:45 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

take a tazer to the ID parade.

that'll teach him!
Old 12 June 2003, 10:09 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Latest news
Police have questioned the toe-rag and he still being vague about the bag
ID parade is happening this week which should be fun..
he had my credit cards etc on him but he is being very cagey about any other stuff. NAVTRAK tracked him as being stopped for 10 mins. so we guess thats when he stashed the bag.

thx for all the messages.

Glass replaced 2 a.m this morning.
Now i have the fun and games with the insurance ppl
Old 12 June 2003, 10:10 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

You are lucky to have got it back so quickly. I just can't believe some people would do that sort of thing [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I hope he gets done for this and doesn't do a runner when on bail or something daft.

Paul
Old 12 June 2003, 10:13 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Question

Can't NAVTRAK tell where he stopped?
Old 12 June 2003, 10:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about all that,but glad you got the car back before it was trashed. Just as well the police got to him before you, or me if it was my car!

Hope it all sorts out alright.

Les
Old 12 June 2003, 11:36 AM
met
Scooby Regular

good to hear you got your car back mate, tell your mate not to worry though as it totally sounds like an opportunistic crack head, & was probably thinking wtf do i do with this car now ive nicked it, was prob after the laptop bag etc & poss any stuff he could rob from the car, cd's etc & then dump the car. good luck though & obviously tell your mate not to worry although a bit of vigilance wont go amiss.
Old 12 June 2003, 12:26 PM
terzo42
Scooby Regular

good to hear they caught the git,i presume that this means your motor will go down as stolen recovered in which case losing a lot of value when resold, surely the **** that took it can be sued for the value lost and also the mental stresses endured,try speaking to a solicitor tony mate you never know

dave
Old 12 June 2003, 01:12 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You think he'll have money sitting in a bank account that he can be tapped for??????

It's great to read of a success story - should ask navtrack if they want to use it for advertising in return for them making your car absolutely mint
Old 12 June 2003, 01:40 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Glad you got it back. Mine was nicked from N London about 5 weeks ago and should be getting it back today. Not a nice thing ot go through at all.

AllanB
Old 12 June 2003, 01:50 PM
Andy555
Scooby Regular

Bit close to home , Do not know what I would do if I found somone damaging or taking something that I owned. Murder would be too kind
Old 12 June 2003, 01:50 PM
Wilster
Scooby Regular

Question

Do you think you're gonna be able to ID him then? What if you can't - can they only charge him with possession, rather than theft aswell??

Paul.
Old 12 June 2003, 02:05 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Where was it taken from if they caught up with him in Wood Green?
Old 12 June 2003, 02:07 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

You know, having your car stolen sounds a lot like making love to a beautiful woman.

Old 12 June 2003, 02:17 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Cool

unlucky but lucky, glad to see for once the coppers actually being pro atcive and not just the same old routine where they give you a crime number and visit you 10 hrs after the theft.
Echo the points above, the b**tard won't probably remember which house he got the keys from anyway so hopefully ur freind need not worry to much.
NAVTRAK= where can i get details of this and is it the same sort of thing as tracker ?
Old 12 June 2003, 02:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Wink

clicky
Old 12 June 2003, 03:07 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Smile

hey, my bro works in the wood green branch

hope all goes well and they put the toe-rag away.

Quick Reply: My car STOLEN today.....and recovered (Read on)