Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Does sumin change with importing regualtion/requirements from Japan October time?

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2003, 12:00 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Talking with sumone earlier they were on about things changing to make it harder to import certain aged cars from October on So does anyone have any details as i'm hoping to import sumin fruity from Japan October time & hope this is BS?
Ta
Si
Old 21 June 2003, 11:04 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Old 21 June 2003, 11:13 AM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

not heard anything about it, try contacting an importer, see if they know anything
Old 21 June 2003, 11:42 AM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

Ive heard about something kicking off to, cant remember what though! but it wasnt good.
Old 21 June 2003, 11:49 AM
Jimmy Dell
Scooby Regular

[Edited by Jimmy Dell - 1/27/2004 11:58:51 PM]
Old 21 June 2003, 12:02 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Yep just read it. Seems to be a problem when importing 1997 or newer as you need model reports which are apparently hard for supras, skylines etc.

I thought there were model reports for scoobys so you should be a problem.

Its in general section, Import news page 3 at the mo:

Copied from the board

Importing a late model car Jan 97 onwards!

With the current ESVA rules changed since November 2001 that all cars first registerded in country of origin after January 1997 have to officailly have a Government test centre approved model report, or you cannot get the ESVA certification needed to register your car in the UK.

Those of us importing late model cars have got around this rule since this date by getting the cars tested as disabled vehicles, as model reports aren't available for most Skylines/Supras.
This loophole was due to be closed tight as from July 1st 2003, meaning no more late model Skylines or any other late model cars being imported by anyone at all after this date.
This has now been put back until October 1st 2003, so if any of you guys are thinking of updating to a late R33 or R34/Supra/Evo, do it before this date because after this date: NO MORE LATE MODEL CARS!

I have spent a lot of time and money trying to get a model report done for R34's so we can continue to bring them in, but un fortunately even though they will pass a standard MOT emmisions test, the cars wont under any circumstance pass Euro 2 and Euro 3 test status even trying simple mods like adding an extra cat, etc to try to get around the problem. its no go!

What this basically means long term is that Skylines in the UK especially R34 cars will become very rare with no more new cars coming in after Oct 1st 2003 or in fact any late 97/98 last model R33's, so if you are thinking of updating, do it well before this date, because the door will be firmly shut. You will still be able to buy one, but unable to regsiter the car in the UK or Europe.

This has already happened in Australia since March 31st this year and totally buggered the Skyline market over there which was really big business down under.

The good news is that long term, Skyline prices will go up instead of down, as supply will be very very limited.
The new ruling has been written so well that there will be no way around this and doing the Disabled thing like we do now.

I hope this helps anyone thinking of a new car in the future

The above was quoted from another forum, not my words.

However I am fairly confident this will happen, the motor industry has long being putting pressure on the government to close the loophole. Its a real shame.

We do believe that they will extend the date but they cant do this forever, as this will put hundreds of companies out of business, unless BITMA makes all the importers club together and pay for the model reports.

There are already over 60 model reports already available... including the R34 GTS (tiptronic) and i believe the manual is under positive development.... The GTR should follow suit should enough investment go into a model report (which between all the importers should be possible)... although one or two models are struggling like VVTi supra, RX7 and some others i believe...

So, anyone wanting a late model car is advised to order as soon as possible as we dont know for sure when the law will change. It will also be an excellent investment oppo for anyone buying a R34 GTR as they will likely increase in value after the door is shut, especially if you buy one from us.

Anyway, just thought you all should know.

Gaz.