ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice please ~ garage trying to shaft me

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2003, 01:07 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I bought a guaranteed re-con engine for my van about a month ago- a big diesel trasit lump.

I got my mechanic to fit the new engine, and only managed about five miles before it let go. This happened at about 50mph, temperature and everything else appearing to be normal.

We rang the engine centre, who agreed to sort it, then took the engine out of the van again (my mechanic marked the head so would could tell if it had been changed or bodged) and took it over to them. It took them a few days to sort it (whatever they did- I'm not particularly technically minded). They brought the engine back over to us, we fitted it again.

Once fitted we took it for a test drive, but within about five miles it let go again. We suspected the same thing had happened. Once again, temp etc were normal.

So, once again, we rang the engine supplier. They came and collected the van this time and took it back to their workshop telling us they were very sorry for the trouble and would have it back to us in full working order.

Imagine my surprise when they demanded another £300 on top of what we'd already paid them, or they wouldn't let me have the van.

They claimed that the reason we were having problems was beacuse the viscous fan wasn't working. We commented that the viscous fan would usually only come in in extreme conditions or when the van was stationary, and both time the engine had let go we were doing approx 50 and the temp guage wasn't even at half way.

they said they'd fitted a new head to it the first time it went back in to them (which we knew was a load of BS as we'd marked it). they then tried to charge me for another head again ~ obviously the one that they've now had to fit as the original one they supplied was sh*te.

it would appear that the problem stems from a crap head that they supplied initially that was running tight on one of the valves. This would appear to be confirmed by them now having put another head on it and it being fine.

any ideas?

Old 21 June 2003, 01:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad had this type of problem when his speed boat and outboard went into a boatyard for a FREE estimate - they gave him some bull about new pistons and a dropped valve and cr4p like that, he said, thanks - I'll just come and pick it up.

The blokey said, you owe me £65 for looking at it if the work isn't left to us - or you don't get your boat back!!

My brothers, dogs and friends went and got the boat back - if you get my drift?! This goon had 2 BIG buggers as his heavies, its amazing how these were scared of the dogs ( Alsations ) but couldn't have given a tit about having a punch-up with the boys!! Consequently, after seeing the dogs they went back into the boatyard - and the boat/engine was ours!!

Go get it back!!

Pete

[Edited by pslewis - 21/06/2003 13:56:56]
Old 21 June 2003, 01:59 PM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Have you tried Which magazine they often appear helpful in motoring matters . Good luck, garages shouldn't be able to get away with this sort of cr4p yet time and time again stories like yours crop up. What was guaranteed about the engine and how long does it last . If the guarantee is still valid and it is clear that the problem occured from the moment you bought the engine then i can see no problem in them being responsible for footing the bill to repair it.
Treacle

[Edited by Treacle - 21/06/2003 14:04:16]
Old 21 June 2003, 05:30 PM
yoza
BANNED

If they have still got your van, Ill go and get it for you, job done!
Old 21 June 2003, 05:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

was considering that yoz, but going to give them a healthy dose of trading standards first.

the guy didn't seem to bothered when i asked him to do the honorable thing or face trading standards ~ so either he feels he's right or it isn't his first time dealing with them.

main problem here is having the van off the road for another week could cost me in excess of what they want me to pay- but i'm sure they know that

thanks for the advice guys.
Old 21 June 2003, 06:06 PM
Andy Gough
Scooby Regular

Which garage in Southport is that then? I live in Southport and it's like living in Tuscon, Arizona - Full of Cowboys!
Old 21 June 2003, 06:23 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

The garage that supplied the engine is in stockport.
Thought I recognised the name andy~ think I met you through JJ?