Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

creosote in the tank

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2003, 01:42 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the replies as pete sais it can only be guessed at that it was creosote whatever it was it wasn`t nice

i had the injectors, fuel rails, tank, pump fuel senders, fuel filter, and flushed the fuel lines with degreaser and after doing this the car ran well i have a air fuel ratio meter and that showed it was fine for a week before it let go

maybe the damage was allready done and it was only a matter of time before it let go

i will have to get colin to take a pic or two of the shattered engine it will make your eyes water

as far as getting to the tank i can only asume that the car was left unlocked (i have 2 kids who are allways going back and forth to the car) and someone opened the fuel cover from the inside

but i know that just sounds crazy i still cant get my head around it surely it would of been easier to spray it with brake fluid

and pete i hope i dont find the person responsible as i think my car wont be the only thing damaged and there will be serious consequances

thanks for your efforts pete

[Edited by X SOOOBY - 7/2/2003 1:47:35 PM]
Old 02 July 2003, 08:55 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

well after 2 1/2 months off the road xsoooby is back on the road

first of all after what appeared to be creosote that had been put into my tank that ruined injectors, pump fuel, fuel level senders, tank, etc.etc. loads of agro and messing about the car got back on the road

then 1 week later cruising at 75 on m25 bang big time like a dustbin full of nails rattling about the engine goes big style take engine out and take it to rally colin (fantastic guy) he strips it down and it is one of the worst he has seen one of the rods has snapped gone through the casing in several places the loose piston has ended wedged in one of the heads tottalled only one head saved

so now i am going off scoob ownership anyway it has to be fixed so i source a rebuilt engine rally colin fits it and now back on the road keeping to 4000rpm and slowly getting back to enjoying scoob ownership

i cant see any link to the creosote causing the engine to fail but it just seems to be too much of a coincidence so the moral to this is fit a locking fuel cap
Old 02 July 2003, 11:25 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

i am surprised i have had no replies to this post as most of you have nervous breakdowns over supermarket car park dinks

something as serious as what has happened to my scoob is obviously not as important
Old 02 July 2003, 11:29 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

sounds nasty. So had you left the flap unlatched or did they overcome this? Just i never even though of needing a locking cap with the flap only opening from insdie
Si
Old 02 July 2003, 11:31 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am amazed at why someone would do it.

I can see how the engine might fail though. If the creosote made the engine run lean, leading to detonation which hammers the bearings. After you replace the injectors, bearing picks up, seizes and then bends the rod etc.

Exactly how did the creosote get in the tank?

paul
Old 02 July 2003, 11:33 AM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Doesn't sound good at all mate.

Cant beleive somebody would do that..***** !
Old 02 July 2003, 11:34 AM
Andrewj
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I like an antique oak finish, myself...makes the fence look "oldie-worldie"
Old 02 July 2003, 12:22 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
was it confirmed that creosote had been put in the tank or was that a guess? After that was the car driven?

Paul
Old 02 July 2003, 12:28 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
It could have been sugared!

F
Old 02 July 2003, 01:12 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

We stripped the car and discovered what we think was creosote. It was a thick oily substance that had contaminated the injectors, pump, fuel rails, fuel lines, fuel filter and fuel tank. It smelt like creosote and had coated every surface it had contacted. There was plenty of it still mixed in with the fuel in the tank.

The engine failure doesn't surprise me unless every single part of the fuel supply system was replaced as it would be very easy for an injector to partially clog. If an injector had clogged, the lean running and consequential det would have destroyed the engine.

We were stunned that someone would vandalise a car in such a way. I hope you find the person responsible Mark.
Old 02 July 2003, 01:29 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

what a shocking way to vandalise a car that must be one of the worst ways possible then

Paul
Old 02 July 2003, 01:38 PM
Nick_TypeUK
Scooby Regular

after reading on this forum how sensative scoobys are to not having high enough octaine it may well have been a factor, the engines also seam to need to be "primed" properly after an oil change, i wonder if this applies to standing around for a long time as well.
Old 02 July 2003, 01:49 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suspect the damage to the engine was largely already done when the injectors were initially clogged. Then it's just a matter of time.

How many times do you hear stories about blown engines that just go in light use, or just after a long slog.

paul