Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What's a classic turbo like for motorway cruising vs S3?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2003, 06:48 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

My S3 is well suited to the m`way cruise. Stick it in 6th, turn up the Bose, set the climate and get comfy in the Recaros!

At a steady 85 ish it`ll do 30+ mpg and although it`ll get murdered by most Scoobs that are trying it`ll easily see off most motorway warriors.

I tried a WRX and found it huge fun but the interior and running costs put me off.

Try both, either are fantastic cars, they`re just different.

PS, Scoobydick, if characterless means well built with no rattles then you`re right;-)

[Edited by Simon S3 - 7/4/2003 6:50:33 PM]
Old 07 April 2003, 10:38 PM
DuncS3
Scooby Newbie

Cactus Jim,

You are having a laugh right? So now the Sabaru is so all conquering even the S3 is now a Grans car?

For what its worth I imported my S3 from Germany and drove it back from there, took me 12 hours, with no backache, so it is great for long distance driving. If it comes down to price I guess it has to be the Scoob

Dunc

[Edited by DuncS3 - 7/4/2003 10:42:05 PM]
Old 04 July 2003, 06:34 PM
comdw
Scooby Newbie

Question

Considering buying one of these two used. Money is a big factor hence liking the standard Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 over the S3 at the moment.

However I do alot of motorway driving and want something comfy for cruising. Anyone care to comment or convince me that a 1996/97/98 scooby will cruise just fine.

Also is air conditioning standard in these models?
Old 04 July 2003, 06:37 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Wink

beter going for a my99 onwards of the classic. the car doesn't wallow as much when going fast over long motorway bends. never driven an s3 mind you so i don't know what they're like. best bet is to test drive them both out!
Old 04 July 2003, 06:45 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Scoob is pretty boring on the motorway - so surefooted that 90mph feels more like 60 mph would in a normal car. Also the seats are not mega comfortable, depends on the individual as to how comfy you can get. Best thing is cruising at 80-90mph and knowing there is still a little kick in the back waiting if you feel like pressing accelerator. No cruise control in the scoob. Air con was a non factory fit optional extra. Related to the above comments - easy to lose license not knowing how fast you were going. Scoob is not happiest in traffic jams either if it will be "that sort" of motorway cruising.

Not driven the S3 but it will be bland and characterless to sit in like all Audi's
Old 04 July 2003, 10:05 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Talking

I've got an Audi A4 and a Scooby MY99 , I know the A4 isn't exactly an S3 but when we go on long journeys we take the Audi I'm sad to say ,It just doesn't tire you out as much , or use as much gas, but not as much fun !At the end of the day ,as already said try and get a long test drive in both as it comes down to personal taste.
Dave
(remember though the Scooby is big fun !)
Old 04 July 2003, 10:32 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

Cool

without wanting to sound awkward, but its either a drivers car or a shopping car with or without the s.

the subaru is a rally car.

the audi is my grans car with four wheel drive.

one is fun to drive

the other has leather seats and nice dashboard

one will earn you respect for driving and putting up with the interior

the other one looks nice and you could always pretend your girlfriend lent it to you.

easy toss up in my opinion, however its up to you what you want.

Old 04 July 2003, 10:50 PM
cactus jim
Scooby Regular

sorry i am having a laugh, the s3 is a great car, sadly though it is a half hearted attempt at a fast car. it is superb inside i think, we did the alps in 12 hours once from london and no aches or pains.

i feel cars like the s3 are a good compromise, fast enough but with comfort more in mind. just the way my gran likes it!!

Old 04 July 2003, 11:00 PM
DuncS3
Scooby Newbie

Cactus,

You are right in respect - the S3 is a very good car, fast , top notch interior but the brakes for one are crap - it is not a complete driving machine (I dont know if the Scoob is either) but I like it - I have upgraded the brakes on mine and they transform the car on the track, but in all honesty I shouldnt have to upgrade the car in the first place I guess.

My gran would prefer a Polo mate, not a S3

Dunc