ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Autolocking doors - how much???

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 05:14 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ive read about a lot of almost carjackings and a carjacking on these forums. (******* thieves!)

I was wondering, how much would it cost for my local scooby dealer to make my bugeye's alarm lock my doors like 30secs after take off?

cheers
Old 09 July 2003, 05:15 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know
it should be in the manual
Old 09 July 2003, 05:27 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

ill take a look
Old 09 July 2003, 05:28 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

It's a feature of the Sigma alarms in Classic scoobs to autolock the doors. It's disbled by default. It's worth checking whether the alarm in your car has this feature - you may have the ability to do this already!
Old 09 July 2003, 05:30 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Standard Sigma alarm should do this. Have a search in the Security forum.
Old 09 July 2003, 05:34 PM
spanner75
Scooby Regular

nothing , the alarm does it if you program it using the keypad .
as soon as you turn the ignition on the doors lock when you turn it off the doors open .
had mine done before i left the showroom.
Old 09 July 2003, 05:48 PM
Mr doo
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I think if you turn on your ignition and give the remote key a quick press, and type 4 on the keypad and then turn ignition off. The safety function should now be on. That's what the handbook says, but i think this might set the alarm off, give it a go.
Old 09 July 2003, 05:50 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Take it to your dealer, it takes 2 minutes and they should do it for free (provided it is a UK car).

Kev
Old 09 July 2003, 05:51 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

found this.
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...D=77650&Page=1
cheers fellas and lasses
Old 09 July 2003, 06:09 PM
revitt
Scooby Regular

The problem is that the doors lock when you turn the ignition on not when you start moving. (STI 8)

If you have a door open when you turn the ignition on the doors wont lock. Also if you stop and get out, say to post a letter, then they also wont lock unless you turn the ignition off and then on again which is not all that desirable.

The last car that I hired locked the doors as soon as you started moving which was a great idea and is more in line with what I want. I don't supose anyone knows how to do this.

Old 09 July 2003, 06:23 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, you've got me thinking!

If you've a small amount of electrical/electronic knowledge, it would be possible to make the doors lock as soon as the car starts moving, courtesy of a cheap vibration switch and a simple circuit to interface with the CDL controller, total cost of the bits probably being less than a fiver.

I'll breadboard something up when I get a minute, but that might not be too soon as I'm currently in the middle of mapping the MY99/00 ECU diagnostic codes. One thing at a time
Old 09 July 2003, 06:25 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

40p

goto shop, buy a mars bar, eat it for unrivaled door locking power, get in car and lock the doors

sorted
Old 09 July 2003, 07:00 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

all done

ign on - press remote button - press 4 - ign off.
Old 09 July 2003, 07:56 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Revit and greasemonkey, if the system that you descibe locks the doors when you move off and unlocks them when you pull up, wouldn't they unlock at traffic lights etc? The exact time that you want them locked!
Old 09 July 2003, 08:22 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

talizman

not if you set the vibration threshold so low that it's still locked on tickover (one reason you got a scoob for the offbeat rumble )

or...

get Blackjax from Clifford - have a look in security threads

or...

get a clifford alarm that locks doors on one of a couple of options - as soon as ignition key turned on or at a certain speed / rpm

best of both worlds, get clifford alarm with blackjax as part of the package - there's a decent bloke in Leeds for these (plug for Max - any commission yet? - no connections apart from being one of his customers etc...)

Apple
Old 07 September 2003, 10:33 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Revit and greasemonkey, if the system that you descibe locks the doors when you move off and unlocks them when you pull up, wouldn't they unlock at traffic lights etc? The exact time that you want them locked!
Don't worry, the idea I've been thinking about wouldn't suffer that little achilles heel! I'm sure the car Revit was referring to wouldn't have done either. Jaguars have had this system for some time, and they only unlock either when you either manually unlock the doors, or when you turn the ignition off.

The circuit I've been working out in my head over the past couple of hours would

1) Automatically lock the doors as soon as the car pulled away
2) Automatically unlock the doors when turning the key to "off"
3) Retain the ability for the door levers to manually override either of the above at any time

3 might change. One of the things that's been coursing through my mind with the good weather over the last few weeks, is the danger of someone reaching quickly through an open driver's window, and unlocking the entire car, allowing miscreants to enter through all four doors.

My immediate answer to that was to make it so that when the engine is running, the driver's door lever only unlocks the driver's door, instead of operating the central locking; meaning you'd only have to deal with people trying to get in the one door, instead of all four. A button on the centre console (or handbrake surround) could then lock/unlock the entire car as necessary.

No matter which way it's done, the circuit involved is pretty elementary. The main issue will be finding a vibration switch that's both cheap, and does the job. You don't want it so sensitive that sneezing will lock the car, and you also don't want it too far the other way either, although again extra circuitry could be used to tune it.

If the vibration switch option doesn't do the job, an even better way may be to tap the speedometer feed, but that's a much more complex proposition again.

Watch this space!

[Edited by greasemonkey - 7/9/2003 10:41:31 PM]