Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What BHP 1992/1993 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 08:33 PM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just had a test drive in a K reg WRX saloon today at an importers near Manchester. It is a little older than what I am really looking for but just wanted to drive a few cars before I take the plunge. The guy at the garage said it was 260 BHP, I take it this is crap? As it did not feel that fast. I thought they were 220 BHP, for that year although I am no expert. The first thing that I noticed is how flimsy the build quality feels, the brakes were pretty crap too. The car was actually quite good to drive had 68,000 miles (god knows if genuine!)it was a lot better than the only other scooby I have driven which was a really overpriced 1995 UK Turbo Estate 67 K miles FSSH from a dealer in Rochdale. This car looked bad on its tiny wheels and the suspension was complete and utter crap! It bounced everywhere and I thought it was gonna bottom out on this bumpy country road we were on. The WRX's suspension was great not knocking your fillings out but very flat cornering and it felt really chuckable. This leads me to another question, do the later UK cars, say a 1997 for example have better suspension than the earlier cars? Or is it just the estate that is poor? The setup on this WRX was perfect really, do not think I would like firmer (like an STI), just wanted to know as I have to travel a fair way to test drive these cars. Thanks.
Old 09 July 2003, 08:37 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

they dont necesarily feel that fast till you look how small the TT is in the mirror
Old 09 July 2003, 08:45 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

the 92/93 cars had 240 bhp standard with japanese fuel but will have around the 220 bhp mark with our crappy fuel.If 220 bhp did not seem fast then it needs a tune or something as these cars are **** hot in standard form and it should do 0-60 in under six seconds easy.Fast enough?
Old 09 July 2003, 09:05 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

As said, 240ps on 100ron fuel.

JDM's as far as suspension goes everytime.

Uk wagons, no idea.

JDM wagons rule, so it's not a wagon thing, it's a UK suspension thing.
Old 09 July 2003, 09:13 PM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think I posted that wrong, yes it was fairly fast just not what I expected. But I think it was probably going a lot faster than I thought. The low end torque was really, really good. Totally different to other cars I have recently driven, Nissan 200 SX S14, Accord Type R (VTEC obviously not really torquey). And I think it did need a tune as it appeared to have a little hesitation at times. Not gonna buy it anyway wanna better one
Old 10 July 2003, 12:32 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

how much was it, after all, if it needed a bit of work I'd be happy to pay 2k (maybe 2.5k)
Old 10 July 2003, 09:10 AM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Think you are way off there, the least they would take was £5500, I thought a little pricey too, however it was in quite good condition and apart from the brakes seemed ok. However the interior was not great, had a panel missing near where the stereo should be, had no stereo either and a few unsightly holes drilled in the dash for something. Just seemed cheap to me as I have also looked at the Pulsar GTI-R and they want this price for them at an even older age. I still do not think it was worth it. Does anyone know a good import dealer in the Lancashire area?
Old 10 July 2003, 09:59 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Malc..... hae you looked at mine:

Nice black one

Think i've already spoken to a Malc... may nave been you. I spoke to so may people over the last few days and my memory is ****e .

Tony.