Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MOT concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2003, 09:10 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My car is due its MOT soon and I believe there is an issue with the brake test procedure at the testing station. Am I right in thinking that an AWD vehicle needs to be tested differently than a 2WD car and that incorrect testing could cause damage?
If so can anyone recommend a testing station in/near any of these locations Wells, Sevenoaks, Brighton, Preston, Barrow in Furnace. I don't live in the UK anymore and will be visiting all these locations so anywhere near will do just fine.
Old 04 August 2003, 11:29 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Yes, But you should make sure that the MOT tester is aware that the car is full-time 4WD and damage will be done if the brakes are tested on a 2-wheel Roller brake tester!

Most testing stations have an aditional device called a tappling meter (basically a decelaro-meter) to measure the effciency by taking the car for a test drive and carrying out several emergency stops at 30mph. So most testing stations can carry out an MOT on a scooby.
Old 04 August 2003, 01:30 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thanks a lot for that, just as I thought. Does anyone know any decent stations nr the areas I mentioned?
Old 04 August 2003, 03:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nacro

All MOT test stations should have a taplometer specifically for testing awd and 4 wd cars. Whatever they say to you,don't let them put it on the brake rollers.

Sorry don't know any testers in those areas.

Les
Old 04 August 2003, 03:28 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Thumbs up

Again thanks- I'll make sure they test it using the "taplometer", just nice to know what to tell them to use if I need to.

A
Old 04 August 2003, 03:31 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Just out of curiosity, what are the consequences if its tested on the brake rollers? Mines been MOT'd lately and i had no idea about this? I hope THEY did!!!
Old 04 August 2003, 04:30 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

what are the consequences if its tested on the brake rollers?
You will not notice anything for a few months, then all of a sudden the car will lose power and run like a pig resulting in a engine rebuild, 4 new tyres, new electrics and a new exhaust. The bill will run into many thousands of pounds.
You should be very worried

Old 04 August 2003, 05:16 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Sorry but thats bollix !!!
1. They would not of been able to roller test it because as soon as the rollers were powered up the resistance due to the centre diff would of stalled the rollers.
2.You would of noticed drive problems IF they had managed to roller test it when you drove away.Did you notice the smell of burning transmission oil/clutch plate??
3.All MOT testing stations must have the ability to test permanent four wheel drive vehicle's....this can be either 4 wheel rollers,plate brake tester or the Tapley meter as mentioned above.

If in doubt always ASK FIRST...they are liable if they damage your car in anyway.

steve (Authorised examiner/Mot tester)
Old 04 August 2003, 05:17 PM
f1
Scooby Regular

Location: yeah like ~I'm gonna put it on here and tell you !!!!
just curious to the above, (maybe stupid) but what damage does it do

ooops posted above tooo late. Just ignore this then !!!

[Edited by f1 - 04/08/2003 17:20:33]
Old 04 August 2003, 05:23 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

So, basically, my MOT was done in April this year, so by now i would have noticed any problems associated, yes?
Old 04 August 2003, 05:36 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Thumbs up

This is why I love scoobynet, I asked my question and couldn't have asked for a better response-I'm now armed with the info I need, thanks guys.
Old 04 August 2003, 06:53 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

all of that is bollocks in 7 yrs of testing subarus on the rollers i've never had a problem with them mainly because they are on there for such a short time there will be no damage done.
as for stalling the rollers on powering them up would they not just skip over them like when the brakes lock the wheels that doesn't stall the rollers.
i know im going to get flamed for saying it but it wont hurt them really think of all the cornering you do what do you think the diff is doing then.
but then again after working on them for 7 yrs m.o.ting them for 7 yrs and being senior tech and quality control i dont spose i know a lot about them really do i
Old 04 August 2003, 07:34 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I watched 4 Impreza's being mot'd last week on the rollers.
Old 04 August 2003, 07:47 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Angry

So you have been mot'ing for 7 years and have been roller testing four wheel drives !!! IF you read the TESTERS manual,it clearly states that four wheel drive vehicles and cars fitted with Limited Slip Diff's must NOT be brake roller tested under any circumstances.
If you have not had any damaged vehicles as yet then you have been very lucky.
I would not test mine in the rollers and i treat customers cars with the same respect.
Don't forget you/your garage is liable for ANY damage caused.
Old 04 August 2003, 10:03 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

I was being sarcastic guys