Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STi8 + wandering flock of pheasants = ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2003, 11:23 PM
MrShades
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving briskly along a dual-carriageway this evening, just pulled out to overtake a car in-front and realised, too late, that there was what I can only describe as a small flock (probably 10 or so) of small pheasants wandering aimlessly across the outside lane.

Well - they were meandering aimlessly until the front of my car, and probably a good few bits of bodywork and certainly both wheels contacted with a good number of them.

All seemed OK until temperature started creeping upwards - as reported by SECS. At 105 degrees I pulled over, to find one of the little bleeders trying to get a lift into Oxford nestled against my aircon radiator.

Nestled so closely that he had died on impact, and killed both the aircon radiator and water coolant radiator in the process - water and steam dribbling from the front of the car.

A W reg classic wagon, DBM, was following a little way behind - I wasn't hanging around - though he passed me, as I was sat in the lay-bay steaming - in every meaning of the word.

Anyway - said STi8 is now sat in the PowerStation - BIG BIG thanks to Iain Lit and Curt for opening up tonight so that I could get my car in - what other dealer or tuner would do that??? Open the yard at 9pm on a Saturday night so that your poorly car can be stored securely and fixed ASAP - not many I know, and it's very appreciated guys.

Hopefully will be back on the road soon - and not be tooooo costly, though methinks this could have been an expensive afternoon.

Every one of my previous three 'incidents' (both of the others were in Citroen diesels) have involved pheasants - fecking things should be shot

Not my happiest evening ever - but hopefully by P&J will be home soon.

Steer clear of them thar pheasants - they might look small, but they're vicious little buggers.... especially with a Scoobs vulnerable radiators.

Shades

[Edited by MrShades - 8/24/2003 9:44:58 AM]
Old 23 August 2003, 11:33 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Crazy little critters huh!

Just the other day I was driving the infamous 'Fuel Surge' road and was enjoying the usual brisk progress. I was getting close to the end of my journey so I backed off and cruised at 80 to get good airflow and let the brakes, etc cool. Just then the biggest pheasant I have ever seen ran out in front of me! It was MASSIVE!!! I had just stabbed the brake when he took flight At one point I was doing about 70mph looking directly at a big heavy bird that was only 1/2 a metre in front of me on the other side of the glass.

I had actually accepted that I was going to hospital that day when somehow the little bugger dropped his shoulder and stepped up the pace. The A-pillar probably missed him my about a centimetre I was laughing at how close it was for a good 5mins afterwards - I really did think there was no way it wouldn't hit and I knew if it did he'd go right through the glass and into my face

I really shouldn't drive that road
Old 24 August 2003, 12:19 AM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

I hit one that only stopped its passage through my engine bay when it reached the strapped in battery....

I was doing 90 downhill in a Maestro diesel van at them time, and it went straight through the headlight! Cost me £90, the bast! And I had to lever it out with a very big screwdriver - I couldn't even eat it, it was full of headlight glass

damn things...
Old 24 August 2003, 12:59 AM
LitchfieldImports
Former Sponsor

Cool

No problem, got me out of a very boring B'que

Speak to you Tuesday

Iain

www.litchfieldimports.co.uk
Old 24 August 2003, 02:27 AM
Chris DG
Scooby Newbie

Sorry to hear that m8

Where in Glos are u and do u goto any meets etc ...

i dont really know where to go around here ??
Old 24 August 2003, 04:33 AM
rickydiver
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pesky burds yeah your right they should be shot, anyone?
Saxoboy what road are you referring too ??
Old 24 August 2003, 11:22 AM
Spooks
Scooby Regular

"Fuel surge Road" (LOL) peaked my curiosity too.
Spooks
Old 24 August 2003, 11:36 AM
Little Miss WRX

Wink

It is a road and experience he will never forget.....or in fact, that he will ever be allowed to forget either.
Old 24 August 2003, 09:21 PM
mrtrowel
Scooby Newbie

i had same thing happen to me in my evo 6.. stupid bird ran out from some bushes into the road , i hit it at 4 times the speed you'd do thru your high street, broke peice off front bumper, shredded the plastic wheel arch insert, all that was left of him was a cloud of feathers, and some bits of meat stuck in the intercooler..
Old 24 August 2003, 09:30 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

If it makes anyone feel any better I had pheasant for my dinner last night. Don't get mad, get even and eat them, that's what I always say.
When you say they were small are you sure they were pheasant though? It may be that we are going to have to spend a lot of time eating a wide range of game just to be sure we are getting the offenders. I'm right out of partridge too, though still have some more pheasant and wood pigeon in the freezer :-) They didn't look like deer by any chance? Have a bit of venison in there as well.
Perhaps someone could organise a meet where we all get together and eat poor innocent animals that might hit our cars? Yummy.