Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Are Subaru Dealer Prices Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2003, 07:11 PM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking out for a decent UK turbo 5 door for a while now and the difference in prices is incredible! I really do not want to spend more than 9K so that will really put an MY99 car from a dealer just out of reach unless it is a high miler, which I don't really want. Anyway a local dealer (Stan Palmers) which have a decent name have a nice 98 "S" reg Wagon in a really good colour (mid metallic blue, is it reddish blue?) but they want £8995 for it, has done 61K with FSSH. This seems a little pricey to me as I have seen a couple with slightly lower mileages at independant dealers on Autotader for 8K. Maybe they will give a good price on my trade-in as sometimes places that sell expensive cars do (wouldn't hold my breath!). I believe they have great aftersales service and decent warranties so is it really worth the extra cash? I have seen these cars for that price privately (similar age) too which is a bit of a joke. There is even an "M" reg wagon some stupid dealer is wanting 9K for! So to cut a long story short is it worth the extra cost?
Old 24 August 2003, 11:41 PM
midlife-crisis-scooby
Scooby Regular

Hi Mad Malc

Like everything in life you get what you pay for....this is true for cars as well. Stan Palmers have a reputation second to none for looking after customers; just do a search on Scoobynet.

Scoobs are pretty tough if looked after (walk away from anything without FSSH)so the miles should not be a problem.

Ask for ian Armstrong on 01228 525051...with the New Reg coming they will be busy (I think they sold more Scoobs in 2002 than any other dealer) so don't worry about the number of rings...

Where are you mate??

Midlife...

Old 25 August 2003, 12:15 AM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Wink

I am in Whitehaven, West Cumbria, thanks for the advice m8
Old 25 August 2003, 09:47 AM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

mad malc,

stan palmers are pretty good, I've used them once or twice myself. I used to live just down the coast from yourself and I remember what a nightmare it was looking for a decent example.

I would stay away from the other main dealer in the cumbria area (not naming names) as they are completely pants, and their prices are still based on 1999 figures.

In the end I bit the bullet and went for a private sale, a bit riskier, but if you do your research you can't go far wrong.