Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Life expectancy of a Scoob

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2003, 07:07 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive noticed the 120k service thread, Does anyone know of other scoobs getting high mileage and going on forever?!. I oticed a 99 T when i was looking and that had 100k.
Old 25 August 2003, 07:50 PM
john coffey
Scooby Regular

depends on the engine mods I guess
Old 25 August 2003, 08:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Ask Jolly Green Monster.

Les
Old 25 August 2003, 08:14 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo?!!
Old 25 August 2003, 08:41 PM
dead_neurons
Scooby Regular

i've seen someone asking questions with 180K mentioned in the thred.
also i've seen threads on another subaru forum where foresters are going on at 340K and on, with no major troubles! - one guy was saying he only ever changed the oil every 3K miles, and has done NOTHING to his high miler for over a year!
On the other hand i've seen lots of threads about the impreza's fragile big end/crank/piston no 3........
frightening when im about to become an owner myself.. although i think worth the risk for the grin factor!

/2ob
Old 25 August 2003, 09:51 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

Talking

got 3 legacy turbos
all 150k miles plus
all fine in the engine dept
still on original turbo etc
use of good oil with regular changes is the key
richie
Old 25 August 2003, 10:10 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

On the other hand i've seen lots of threads about the impreza's fragile big end/crank/piston no 3........
frightening when im about to become an owner myself..
I wouldn't allow yourself to get unduly frightened by these if I were you. You're talking about a relatively small number of failures, in what is a pretty large (and largely happy) user base.

The big ends on these cars are not "fragile". If they were, you would find thousands, not tens of the bl**dy things going bang.

The fact that folk can run EJ20 engines at well above standard power on standard internals with complete reliability points to the fact that the basic design is actually sound.

It doesn't help that there are a lot of people running the cars outside their design parameters - for example filling Japanese imports with too low an octane rating of fuel, or by incorrect/poor/insufficient maintenance. It also doesn't help that most of the cars that seem to be going bang will have had multiple owners, and thus it's impossible to identify whether something earlier in the car's life was the ultimate cause of the failure.

Given this plus the fact that these engines are asked to produce much higher specific power outputs than your average daily driver, there will always be the odd problem. However, if you like what the Impreza has to offer, and are aware that running one will require a little more TLC (and investment) from you, there's no reason why you shouldn't buy one.

The important thing is to choose wisely, with a level head and advice from us Scoobynetters if necessary. The worst thing you can do is what one buyer on here recently did, and fall in love with his proposed purchase before parting with the cash.

Try and get as much small print about this car as you can, and if something doesn't add up (no matter how insignificant it seems), walk away. There'll always be another one...

[Edited by greasemonkey - 8/25/2003 10:23:50 PM]