Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Car damaged in street, What should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 09:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats the answer,since damage was caused it is classed as a hit and run incident. I believe that a digital photo is not acceptable evidence in case thats what you took of the damage.

Les

[Edited by Leslie - 9/1/2003 9:42:03 AM]
Old 09 January 2003, 09:45 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Yes it should be his insurance that pays, but because i am fully comp, my insurance pays then claims it back from his insurance and i have to pay the excess until the claim is resolved. If the claim isn't resolved i loosed my excess and NCD, so don't want to risk that.

Luckily I used a normal camera, not digital

[Edited by austen_wrx - 9/1/2003 9:46:10 AM]
Old 09 January 2003, 10:34 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I was waiting for that one!, I do admit its tempting, but i'd rather see the contents of his wallet spent on my car than his!!

[Edited by austen_wrx - 9/1/2003 10:35:50 AM]
Old 01 September 2003, 08:11 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Question

On saturday my car was parked outside the B&B i was staying in and a mate of mine witnessed the car parked behind hitting and damaging my rear bumper. He got the number plate but didn't manage to get to the car before it drove off. On sunday we saw the car parked in the same street again (obviously lives there) so had a look at his bumper, which was cracked and scratched. i took a photo of the damage and then left a note on his windscreen describing what they had done and my contact details.

I have not heard from the owner yet, and i'm not really expecting them to come forward as they would have left a note on my car after they had done it if they were that sort of person. I spoke to my insurance company (direct line) but not registered it as a claim as my x's will be more than the cost of the repair, and also my renewal is due in a couple of weeks and any unresloved claims will affect my premium.

The cost of the repair will probably be around £300 (bumper repair and respray), but its not the money its the principle of the thing that winding me up. It wasn't even like the car parking space was tight, there was loads of room! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Anyone got any ideas on how i should proceed?
Old 01 September 2003, 08:36 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Go tell Plod. What he's done is effectively criminal damage. You have a witness and photographic evidence, give it a try. Just be ready for the spiteful repercusions after.
Old 01 September 2003, 09:36 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If it was parked on a public road then he has "left the scene of an accident" which is an offence in itself. Get yourself over to five0 and ask there.

Dave.
Old 01 September 2003, 09:42 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

whats the five 0 web address?

cheers for the help
Old 01 September 2003, 09:42 AM
typer320
Scooby Regular

plus its not your fault so its not a claim against your insurance as its his insurance that has to pay not yours.
Old 01 September 2003, 09:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just go to the police station and give a statement.
Old 01 September 2003, 10:14 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

First thing is to establish whether he has insurance. You can report the thing to the police, get lots of forms to fill in, wait for weeks for them to chase it up if you. Or ring your insurance company, give the registration of the other car and they can tell you if a policy exists covering that car as all the insurance companies share information these days through a central computer system.

If he does have insurance then get your insurance to contact his insurance, pass on all the photos and witness statement you have. Should be straight forward to get them to cough up. This way you get straight to his insurers and it doesn't matter if he is an **** hole and refuses to speak to you or denies everything.
Old 01 September 2003, 10:18 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Thats how i want to do it, but if the accident is registerd with my insurance company they will up my premium (which id due in 2 or 3 weekks) until it is all sorted! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I'm going to get the registered keepers address from the DVLA forst to see if i can sort it out. If not i will have to do it through the insurance after my premium is paid.
Old 01 September 2003, 10:19 AM
clintyboy12
Scooby Regular

Les mentioned:
"I believe that a digital photo is not acceptable evidence in case thats what you took of the damage."

Why is that? Is it because digital photos can be easily manipulated (photoshop etc)? If that's the case it's also possible to do the same with regular 35mm pitcures, although not as easy... Just curious!

Chris
Old 01 September 2003, 10:20 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Just read the post before - I was in virtually the same situation with Liverpool Victoria as my insurers. They said if I wanted payment immediately they would do as described ie pay out immediately and put it down as a claim until they got the money back. But they also offered to do it the other way which I accepted ie try to gey the money back and only pay me if it was successful and if not no claim if made.
Old 01 September 2003, 10:21 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

cheers boost, Did you have extra legal cover with your insurance to do this??
Old 01 September 2003, 10:24 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Don't think so, just a normal sort of fully comp thing.
Old 01 September 2003, 10:32 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

smash his car up
Old 01 September 2003, 11:04 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Angry

you've no chance, i'm afraid.

I had this a couple of years ago where my car had a big scratch and dent on the back wing - at the same height and angle as a transit parked next to it with a road worker - and my paint smeared down the side where he'd obviously messed up his reverse park.

course the driver has seen nothing

I went to the plod station round the corner where, after some persuading, got the fat desk sarge to get off his **** and come to see the problem. he agreed it looked like a leaving the scene of an accident job as the guy was denying it and took paint samples.

I heard nothing so chased the plod 6 weeks later. on holiday.

chased every week thereafter, leaving messages, eventually got him in the 10th week - he got very stroppy with me and said his super had decided not to take it any further as they didn't have the budget to test the samples. oh, and it's not really a crime anyway, is it? ****** - good job it was a company car - yet another example of our wonderful boys in blue...

so, in summary, pay for a new bumper (won't be much more than the excess) if it's your own car and move on.

Gordo
Old 01 September 2003, 11:24 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

The difference in this case is an independent witness who saw the accident - this is vital in these cases.
Old 01 September 2003, 11:28 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Thats what i'm hanging my hopes on!
Old 01 September 2003, 12:19 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Even if you report him to his insurance, they won't do anything till they register an accident. If they don't you will have to take him to small claims court. I had the same thing I never saw the money but I wish I took him to court, I was young though.
Old 01 September 2003, 12:42 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Try the honourable route (i.e. Insurance, Police, etc).

I think that the guy will try to deny it was him driving if you push it, unless your mate is 100% positive in any statements that are made.

You hear of people getting their own back by pulling out tyre valves or spraying rancid milk into cars but I wouldn't condone such behaviour....

Vindaloo.
Old 01 September 2003, 01:55 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

If you know roughly where he lives, stake him out.
Approach him and say you have a witness who has seen him hit your car, if he gets funny about it leave it for 6 months or so and wait for him one late night and give him a good going over.
Old 01 September 2003, 02:19 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
Angry

When you gave him your contact details, i hope you didnt give him your home address or telephone number.
He sounds like the sort that if pushed would pop round to your house one night and introduce a can of paint stipper to your car[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Check out mr plod to see if they can help.
As for the insurance, this to$$er will deny it all the way

Good luck

Greg
Old 01 September 2003, 02:31 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Only gave him my mobile and home phone number, we do live 120miles apart though! ANyway, It may be a 90 year old granny, their driving ability points to this conclusion anyway!!!
Old 01 September 2003, 02:33 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

If anyone lives in Ilkley and spots an X reg dark blue VW Polo (especially parked on Tivoli Place), with damage to the front nearside bumper, do not park anywhere near the fool!