ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

PPP on MY03

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2003, 08:11 PM
( R6 CDW )
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps i can shed an ickle light.

My isurance was increased by around £80 when the ppp was installed.

If you plan to keep thr wrx then yes go for the ppp, it's great, more torque and the turbo spools up at lower rev's.
The extra bhp combined with the torque make the wrx the car it should have been, out the box.

More drivable, less gear changes round town so makes it effortless to go from a-to-b.

I found my o3 was getting quicker and quicker the more miles it clocked up, after about 10,000 the wrx was running fantastic. very quick very smooth.
Having said all that, i did find it bland, well quick, but bland, so i'v gone for the sti-ppp, he he.

Differant car, differant leauge, so my final point, if you plan to keep it, then go for the ppp, if you feel even a slight hankering for the sti, save your dosh and wait till the funds allow a swap to the "DADDY".

All in my honest oppinion.

chris

[Edited by ( R6 CDW ) - 9/7/2003 8:12:27 PM]
Old 07 September 2003, 05:41 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Just had my new WRX a week now and it's great.

Thinking about getting a PPP fitted on it (as keeping warranty is important).

Has anyone out there put a PPP on a MY03? If so...

1) What did it do to your insurance? (I pay £570 Fully comp with missus as a named driver at the moment).

2) What did it do to fuel consumption, when 'gentle motorway driving' at 2.5K - 3.5K rpm?

3) Are you happy (or disapointed) with the end result in terms of power increase and noise?

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 07 September 2003, 05:52 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

I'd like to second that question!
Old 07 September 2003, 08:25 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Thanx for the feedback Chris, With a few factors (Wife...) considered, keeping the WRX but adding a PPP will probably be the way to go 4 me. I can certainly live with £80 or so more a year on the insurance.

You say the turbo comes in earlier, what did this do to fuel consumption when just taking it easy? The reason I ask, is that the car will get used a fiar amount for business/motorway use, so although I accept it will guzzle fuel when thrashed i'd be keen to preserve a reasonable mpg when being gentle with the right foot.

Ta,

Chris.
Old 08 September 2003, 10:03 AM
Silverback
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've found that in 'normal' driving for me (mostly motorways for work) has pushed my mileage range from around the 220 mark to about the 270-280 mark.

Obviously if you have a 'spirited' tank run (like on a track) this will drop to about 70-80 miles!!!

Definately noticed an improvement and reckon with the price of fuel atm, PPP will pay for itself in 3 years from fuel saved (at least that's how I 'sold' the idea to the wife
Old 08 September 2003, 10:42 AM
GreenMachine
Scooby Regular

R6 makes some good points

I had my PPP fitted to my 03 wrx last Thursday

It has transformed the car, probably into what it should have been, as was said earlier.

It now makes the right noise and looks good (chunky Prodrive back box) and can be driven more smoothly (don't need to thrash it so hard for a similar result ) I have also fitted some 18" wheels, recommended to get the best out of the upgrade.

I insured, via Schofield, with NU I think, and there is no extra premium for the PPP

I can't speak to fuel consumption yet, but I'm told it actually improves rather than gets worse.

I would have had an STI but the suspension is too harsh to make progress down the sort of back roads I play on without having your head banging on the roof! The wrx seats aren't as good though.

Do it - and have fun!

Old 08 September 2003, 10:53 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

MY03 is six weeks old and had the PPP fitted after 3wks. The difference in performance is staggering. Well worth every penny! I only use Shell Optimax and though the price is high for the fuel you can see the difference in acceleration. Like mentioned earlier on a track day I did a whole tank in under 90miles!! I'm glad I had the PPP just for the grin factor alone. Of all the cars I've had this is just a hoot to drive and at the same time so easy to live with day to day.
DONT DELAY order your PPP immediately you won't regret it

Trending Topics

Old 08 September 2003, 10:57 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention Tesco Insurance is bl**dy cheap. With my other half as named driver £552 fully comp. My 5yr old BMW was dearer than that
Old 08 September 2003, 11:18 AM
DBY
Scooby Regular

I have had PPP on from day one and the car has now covered 9000 miles and as previous posts the car is a hoot to drive. However the problem with having the PPP fitted is you will now catch the modifing bug! Next came Prodrive 18 inch alloys followed by Quickshift gear change upgrade and full colour coding of side sills and front grill. The car now looks very nice but has problems from stopping from high speeds so Godspeed big brake kit fiied to the front along with braided brake lines problem now sorted. Next standard stero is crap so out goes head unit in comes very nice Alpine head unit and component speakers,you can now turn volume up and actualy hear music!
Then you need all the little nick nacks Prodrive gearshift surround, prodrive gear ****,stainless steel kick plates front and rear see its all good fun. The only thing missing now is Prodrive spring kit,Prodrive driving lamp set and Godspeed big rear brake kit, WRC front and rear mudflap set so you have been warned!!

Regards

John
Old 08 September 2003, 01:53 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks again for the feedback. Sounds good...

Phoned Norwich Union Direct today and they want £110 increase on the annual premium, not too bad.

Think I'm going to go ahead and do it !!

Question is to tell the missus or not? Will she notice the exhaust??

Cheers,

Chris.
Old 08 September 2003, 02:13 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

The wife and neighbours will notice the exhaust, there is no chance you will get away her not noticing a change, I didn't!!!

My MPG went up, 30-32 on the motorway and around 20-22 elsewhere.

Dan
Old 08 September 2003, 02:15 PM
Pockman
Scooby Regular

Damn, Damn, Damn

It'll have to be 'Honest approach No 4b' ref Missus then.

Ta,

Chris.
Old 08 September 2003, 02:46 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Mention the improved ecconomy and driveability and I'm sure she'll understand that you need the upgrade.

Problem is the 03MY as standard is so quiet, so the increase in noise with the larger exhaust is more noticeable and lots more fun!

Dan
Old 08 September 2003, 02:52 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

WRX Wagon - had PPP fitted at 1st service
Superb - thoroughly recommend.

Insure with Norwich Direct and NO increase (got them to verify that before I believed them) - £755 in expensive Kent.

And wife DIDN'T notice change in exhaust note/ number/ diameter
phew!

Far easier to drive with lowdown grunt ( as above) but gives immensly satisfying noise @ 4,500 onwards. Best way to get more oomph from already well sorted WRX whilst plaiying safe with your warranty - and still looks fairly innocuous unlike the Sti! (all IMHO of course)

Silver Stealth Wagon
Old 08 September 2003, 03:41 PM
jhrfc1
Scooby Regular

Had my PPP fitted to 03 WRX 3 days ago at 10k service.
It is amazing! great sound, amazing increase in performance particularly lower down the revs.
As said above, no need to drop gears and rev it to get where you want to go.
I'm with Liverpool & Victoria so no increase in premiums for me.
Great to here it actually improves fuel consumption, must be getting rid of the centre cat.
All in all, I would recommend the PPP heartily.
Old 12 December 2003, 10:54 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

The name "Pockman" suggests you live in the same town as myself!!!

Otis
Red MY03 WRX PPP
Old 12 December 2003, 11:12 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Sell the missus to pay for the PPP. That'll cure two problems in one go
Old 13 December 2003, 04:03 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Pockman - did you go for the PPP (if you're still reading this thread) - I have an 03 WRX PPP, get upto 300 miles out of a tank when doing motorway runs and 200 - 250 when doing combined.

Much better car with PPP - like another coment makes it the car it should be out of the box
Old 13 December 2003, 04:04 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

BTT
Old 14 December 2003, 09:40 PM
Voo
Scooby Newbie

Hey Pock.where doo ya go too get insurance like that??
Old 14 December 2003, 09:51 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

why on earth couldn't Subaru have got the WRX "more" right out of the box? I find the lack of torque in my MY03 shocking (when you pick even slightly the wrong gear.- if you know what I mean!) In fact it's slightly embarrasing - my mate has a Leon Cupra R which seems to pull like a train (albeit slower one ) in any gear/rev combination...

My wife's 2L Mondeo zetec has much more pull lower down the revs even when in too high a gear.

Isn't the PPP an engine remap and different back box? Why couldn't subaru just have put those 2 parts in on the production line? Answers on a postcard.....