ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Thats never happenend before!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2003, 09:21 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

tonight, i felt my scoob hesitating/pulling back at 2000 rpm, with my foot off the gas, and also happened with foot on gas at 20mph in traffic. the car was at normal temperature and the only engine type mod is a back box. its a WRX my01, and has been fine since i got it 7 months ago. the pulling back was major, very noticeable to passengers also. can anyone help? all appears to be in place visually.
Old 17 September 2003, 09:37 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were low on fuel them it could be starvation. Scoobs can be a little temperamental if on below 1/4 tank.

If that doesn't solve it then check that your handbrake is off!

LOL

Korky
Old 17 September 2003, 09:44 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Wink

cheers Korky, 3/4 full of petrol and yes, checked handbrake was off . anymore ideas from anyone? im travelling oop north this weekend, so im worried about the car not making it.
Old 17 September 2003, 10:48 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Look on the bright side. If it doesn't go to "The North", at least there's less chance of it being stolen!
Old 17 September 2003, 11:18 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Or it could be the first sign of the exhaust gas temp sensor on the way out. It is not an uncommon problem - it has happened to a number of MY01 WRX owners (including me). Have you had the CEL come on at all?

The symptons do sound very similar - hestitation, on and off the throttle, no accleration etc.

Might be worth a check with your dealer, once it goes, that's it - dealer job to replace (should be under warranty), but when mine went, it took two weeks to get a replacement!

Chris
Old 18 September 2003, 07:30 AM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Im not sure what CEL is, but imagine you mean a warning LED on the dash. if thats the case, then no. just taken the car out this morning for a run, no sign of the problem.
If its gonna go, then i just want it to go now, might get out of going to York for family wedding, which would be a BONUS.
just one other worry though, i have a s/steel magnex back box and my 30k service is overdue by 1.5k miles, is my warranty knackered?
Old 18 September 2003, 08:03 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Smile

CEL - Check Engine Light
Old 18 September 2003, 08:10 AM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

Get it in for a service sharpish, keep quiet about the 1.5k over and complain bitterly about the misfire. Mine was 3k over and the synchro had gone. I was lucky, they never said a word and fixed the gearbox under warranty.

[Edited by Soapy Sam - 9/18/2003 8:11:15 AM]
Old 18 September 2003, 08:54 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Get it in quick! If it is the EGT sensor, then you won't get a lot of warning and you will be stranded. I would get it checked ASAP.

Chris
Old 18 September 2003, 01:42 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

cheers for the advise, i will call them later today to book it in for a service and a check.

cliff
Old 18 September 2003, 02:40 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

On a less "Panicky" note (Jeeezuz you lot know how to worry each other )
On my MY00, if i hold the car on part throttle whilst in 2nd gear for a significant amount of time(More than 10 seconds or so) when I go to full throttle, the car behaves like a pillock with no additional power. More noise but no more boost. This manifests itself as the feeling of "Holding back" because you tense your body in anticipation of being pushed back and it doesn't happen.
I thought that my car was knackered, however it turns out that in order to pass emmission regs, the ECU is programmed to "Cheat" so when certain revs are held for a certain time, the ECU goes into a type of limp mode.
Easily overcome, foot off gas completely and then reapply or change gear.
Not sure if this is the case for new age scoobs, but if it is, then there's ya problem. Bet ya
When you take your car in, the dealer will find nothing wrong with the car, cos it ain't broke
This phenomenon normally occours when following someone slower round a large roundabout and then booting it off down your exit when the road is clear or preparing to overtake, sitting waiting for your moment, in 2nd waiting, waiting, there's the gap and Doh!!! hardly any extra power
Hope this helps

Mikey

ps if it does turn out to be summat peculiar to MY01 and above, by all means let us know

Mikey
Old 18 September 2003, 06:34 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cheers Mikey, im not sure this is the same. when it was happening, i could keep the car in 2nd gear at 2000 rpm, just touching the gas to keep a constant speed, and after 5-6 secs it would just die/pull back/hesitiate, even though ive not done anything different with my foot. when blasting the car around its fine, no trace of a fault.
the wifes taken it to work today, i`ll see wot shes got to say when she comes back later tonight.
Subaru are not very helpfull, they dont have any spare slots for ages, and when they do.......im working!!
I`ll just have to use my Subaru assist if it goes completely.
Anyone used them yet?
Old 18 September 2003, 08:03 PM
wrxmark
Scooby Regular

Lambda sensor oh yes another one me thinks