Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

dangerous rural roads

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2003, 02:36 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 of the nicest roads in the our area are in this report! the a54 from congleton to buxton, which is fantastic whichever way you drive it, and the a537, otherwise known as the "cat & fiddle"
the cat has already been reduced to a 50 limit for most of its length now, and I am sure the a54 will follow soon, which is a real shame, as it is a really challenging road.
It would be interesting to see the what was the cause of the accidents on these roads, was it motorcars or bikes, deaths or injuries, speed or poor driving related??
bbc news
chris
Old 18 September 2003, 02:41 PM
pugoetru
Scooby Regular

I vote for poor driving standards/lack of abillity you see it everyday

the government will say speed speed speed

WINKERS
Old 18 September 2003, 02:44 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

I used to drive along the A61 from Barnsely to Wakefield on a daily basis, and I only think I ever saw one accident, in the 12 months I did it?

They actually tested the glow on their own cats eyes along a section of this road. They were great, all you had to do was turn onto side lights only and it was like going down a runway, just with some really sharp curves. It is amazing how much fasteer it feels when you are driving with no lights on. [flame suit on]
Old 18 September 2003, 03:15 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Talking

Try driving blindfold for the ultimate rush-20mph feels like 200.
Old 18 September 2003, 03:22 PM
Aintbroke dontfix
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I used to drive the cat and fiddle a lot when I lived up there. Its a great road apart from the idiot no brain 2 wheeled fraternity. They overtake on crests, blind bends and have a habit of decapitating sheep which as the Mac lads say, "The little wooley ******* are all over the place". I bet bikers are the only ones who do not stick to the 50 limit, but never get caught unless they become part of a dry stone wall. I hope the back road from Whalley Bridge to Buxton isnt't now 50 as I'll be up there in a couple of weeks.
Old 18 September 2003, 03:28 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Roads like the Cat and fiddle are special cases as they are used by bikers as race tracks, the acident rates are going to be higher, it has nothing at all to do with road design other than the fact its a challenging, sweeping road so popular to push the limits on. It also has a social gathering point at the cat and fiddle pub where bikers meet.

The only way to stop the cat and fiddle being a death trap is to bulldoze through the derbyshire dales a straight road to replace it. Then the problem would just move somewhere else.

Statistics and reports like this dont give a good picture of what is going on.
Old 18 September 2003, 04:12 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

As a semi-regular visitor to the C&F on my bike I know what you mean, I consider myself a "sensible" biker (i.e. **** slow) and some of the antics you see are mind boggling. My own mates who I consider to be excellent riders have even managed to do stupid stuff up there and the surface in a lot of places leaves a lot to be desired (polished tarmac from heavy braking into corners).

One of my other favourite roads was mentioned in the top 5, the A524, never been on my bike, but the Scooby loved although it's easy to make a mistake (I went through one set of S-bends with the car feeling very "floaty" and again, I consider myself "sensible")

Look at it this way: somewhere has to be the most dangerous road
Old 18 September 2003, 04:22 PM
Charlie WRXSTI
Scooby Regular

My favourite bit of road although quite short is the Mickleham bends at Box Hill, Surrey. Long straights witha couple of corners that although look short seem to go on for ever. Can't wait for my STi's 1st service so I can go and try it out.

This is also a big bike meeting point especially on a Sunday, although it is now regularly policed now which has calmed things down a bit. Before they used to police it I have seen at least 4 fatalities there. This was mainly down to showboating bikers but also careless and unaware "sunday" drivers.
Old 18 September 2003, 07:30 PM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

Aintbroke dontfix are you stopping around there in a couple of weeks? Give us a mail if you are.
The Buxton To Whaley Bridge road is national speed still, although there have been a alot of small black square boxes nailed to the road recently. Dont know what they are guessing they are assessing the speed along there. The road is known localy as long hill I have the pleasure of driving this road every day to work.
As for the Cat and Fiddle it is one of the best drivers roads ever even driving at 50mph (even around bends) is challanging so you don't need to speed to have fun. I in the paper today they were on about speed cameras not on the C&F they don't need them they patrol it by aircraft and helicopter also by laser guns by police cars hidden. All the accidents seem to happen on bends so what speed camera's would do is nothing. The major accidents seem to involve Bikes so may be a no bike zone like they have no lorry zones would be more appropriate. (Duck from the cross fire of the bikers).
The road from Congleton to Buxton needs resurfacing and is all national speed I don't personally like that road but it is very challanging. The bikers are more and more using this road as a replacement to the C&F and or to get to the C&F. I feel to a biker the road surface must be awful to ride on, hence the increasing accident rate. I can see this going the same way as the C&F to a 50 Limit. There are also lots of hidden junctions on this road which adds to the danger.
All I can add is please dont spoil our local roads with silly speed limits as the only catch car drivers and not the bikers generally.

Old 18 September 2003, 07:37 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

In my opinion, there are no dangerous roads, only dangerous people....., and I am a Belgian who has never been in the UK but very frequently in Germany (there are also fine driving roads, like the ones from the highway to the Ring), also Luxemburg and France

Creepy
Old 18 September 2003, 07:49 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

I went for a drive wife and kids in tow sunday A6 to Buxton A515 the down through via gellia some of the antics of some of the less responsible bikers left me stunned:shocked:.Matlock has always been a magnet for bikers the majority are safe and a good time had by all but me being forced onto verges and almost having a head on with one all overtaking on blind bends is not funny.There will always be the minority who spoil it for the majority.