ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Which Downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2000, 08:28 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Downpipes seem to vary in cost from just over £100 to almost £400. What is the benefit of one over the other? and which is the best option all told?

Scorpion s/steel - c£150
Scoobysport or GGR - just over £200
Power engineering - c£350
BPM - c£mortgage?

Are the SS or GGR options 50% better than Scorpion or simply 50% more expensive?

Being added to...MY99, Prodrive Performance pack, scorpion mid-section, PX induction kit.

Thanks
Old 12 May 2000, 08:31 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Apologies - thought I was in 'Drivetrain'
Old 12 May 2000, 08:57 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

I can not comment on anything other than Scorpian. It has made a real improvement to pick up in the low and mid range. MY99. It cost £178 fitted. It is Stainless, so I find it hard to see how some people can justify the prices they charge.
Old 12 May 2000, 10:34 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Where bought/fitted?
Old 12 May 2000, 10:45 AM
jase cooper
Scooby Regular

Gary

Try Dave Wood 01332 372555 (Derby)
£154ish fitted (for Scorpion d/p)

jase
Old 12 May 2000, 11:52 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi GaryC

Look SS downpipe is maded from real inox like Zepter or Sollingen kitchen tools. Therefore it stays forever - 25 years guarantee is more like car stay up. It was the best reason to buy one for me.
I thing that all singlepipe are the same only quality can be diferent or between dualpipe.
Old 12 May 2000, 07:54 PM
dmel
Scooby Regular

Question

Mr Leigh,
does the Scorpion DP also have a catalyst? If yes, does it retain the original one or does it have a racing cat?
If no, have you retained the catalyst in the mid-section or have you removed that too?
Old 12 May 2000, 08:29 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

The middle cat was taken out when I fitted the 2 piece exhaust. The Scorpian D/P is straight through. I have kept all parts incase the next owner should want them. Tyres Northampton fitted it, and did a good job.
Old 12 May 2000, 08:37 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I would also be interested to see how this thread turns out. According to the search facility (used it!!), a new downpipe is the best and simplest way to reduce turbo lag. As it's my first turbo, that's something I'd like to do.

But my questions, apart from which one, are:
1) Does it void the warranty?
2) Will it increase the insurance?
3) How much is it to fit, on top of purchase price?
4) Does it fail UK emissions testing?

Just cautious!!

BJH
Terzo 301
Old 13 May 2000, 08:21 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Yes, it invalidates your warranty.

Soon after having a new downpipe fitted, my wastegate solenoid went on the fritz, so I booked it into be fixed under warranty. Afterwards, they said that my downpipe had invalidated my warranty and technically they shouldn't have fixed it for me. Phew !

Always tell your insurance company about mods you do, you don't want to wreck your £20K car and not be covered cos you didn't pay the extra £50 increase on your insurance. My insurance company (Privilege) increased my insurance in relation to the increase in performance. e.g 20% increase in power = 20% increase in premium.

If you go to Scooby or PE, you should get it fitted for £60-£70. I had it done locally and it cost me £100 (ouch)

Dunno about emissions etc. have heard it can fail you though
Old 13 May 2000, 11:20 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

So shafted all three ways, then?
Old 13 May 2000, 03:18 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

There are a variety of different downpipes from what I gather. Some have 'sports' cats, and some are straight through pipes.

The main difference seems to be how they deal with the exhaust gas from the turbo, and the gas from the wastegate. Some downpipes have seperate tubes for each, which join further down the pipe. Whereas other have one big port into which both exit.

I believe that there are slightly bigger improvements to be had with these twin pipe systems. I think the Scoobymania & BPM downpipes fall into this category.

I want one, but don't think I can justify the increased noise, expense, illegality and environmental impact! Would love the flames though!

A friend of mine has a d/pipe from Falkland Performance Centre which he rates!

Andrew

Hang on ... the sun is shining ... I've got a freshly polished Scoob on the drive ... what am I doing inside?!?

[This message has been edited by Andrew Dixon (edited 13-05-2000).]
Old 13 May 2000, 06:36 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Can anyone at ScoobySport (the gods of Scooby exhausts) offer any comments on the above.

Is there any evidence that twin port downpipes offer an advantage over single port versions ?

The scooby version is single port, right ?

I'm completely untechnical so I'm most likely to be talking out my botty, but don't single port versions run the risk of causing increased back pressures to the port that puts out the least pressure.
Old 13 May 2000, 07:54 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Pete's in Holland, the Scoobysport downpipe is single opening, but is much bigger opening than the standard ones, ie it clears the wastegate, to appreciate what the problem is with the standard one you need to see a turbo and both downpipes in the flesh, its quite hard to explain, the standard downpipe actually blocks the wastegate when it opens, so the air has to pass across and then into the flow of the exhaust, this causes turbulence and all sorts of other problems. The Scoobysport one, and also the twin pipe ones, get rid of this problem by having an aperture big enough, or an extra one, that allows the gas to flow straight out of the wastegate, and not interfere with the flow through the turbo.

This is a very simplified explanation as i dont really understand scavenging and all the other techy terms that get mentioned LOL
Old 13 May 2000, 08:09 PM
Les
Scooby Regular

Question

I to am contemplating a downpipe as the next mod (probably Scoobysport, what I need to know (if anyone can tell me) is does it increase the exhaust noise?
Old 13 May 2000, 08:48 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Les, simple answer yes it does.

Best idea if you are really interested in one, is to attend a track day or meet, and arrange a passenger ride and drive by, by an owner that has one fitted.
Old 14 May 2000, 01:23 AM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'll be at Santa Pod on the 21/5 & Powerstation on 27/5 if anyone wants to hear a Scoobysport Downpipe, Backbox, Magnex De-Cat Centre and K&N Induction in anger! .

Silver UK MY97, Anthracite 17" Prodrive PD7's.

ChRiS
Old 14 May 2000, 01:37 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Akira ... just how much louder did your system get when you fitted the downpipe? I have a Scoobysport rear section and Magnex unsilenced centre section with a standard downpipe. Was there an appreciable performance improvement? (Oh, and do you get big pops, bangs and flames?!?)

Just curious ...

A.
Old 14 May 2000, 08:21 AM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Talking

A.

Yes you get loud pops and bangs , and yes it can 'flame out' altough this tends to be a small blue flame pop, and not the full on afterburner effect of an EVO...

Darren Soothill was turning up at my place one morning in his Sti V with full Scoobysport exhaust, and I could hear his car from a good mile away !!! Running his car next to mine (UK 98 with Milltek box and centre section you couldn't heart my exhaust
Old 16 May 2000, 06:57 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Anyone know the difference between the ScoobySport d/p and the 'Falkland' d/p? Both single pipes, both Stainless Steel, both with larger appature at 'turbo-end'.