Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2003, 10:23 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Facts and figures here
http://www.prodrive.com/uploads/03MY%20STi%20PPP.pdf

Depreciation is probably around the 45-48% mark. As for doing the right thing then that's really down to you to decide. Test drive one and go from there..

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 10/1/2003 10:24:47 AM]
Old 10 January 2003, 12:47 PM
T.J
Scooby Regular

Some mags report that a UK WRX with PPP is the better buy + its about 50KG lighter. Probably best to go for the STI if you are think of post warranty modifications though

+ STI'is in blue are very common. Go for a spec 'c' or evo 8 for rarity. I've yet to see either on the road and only see the latter on my drive

[Edited by T.J - 10/1/2003 12:50:30 PM]
Old 01 October 2003, 10:18 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi

Does anyone know what kind of power, speed and acceleration the PP package ads to the new WRX sti? Does it do much to the 0-60mph and top speed.

anyone know?

Also I'm thinking of buying one and getting rid of my TT - just too common these days - am I doing the right thing? What is the depreciation like on the Subaru. What percentage of it's cost will it be on 3 years do you think given normal use?

cheers for any info

mark
Old 01 October 2003, 10:26 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

You are doing absolutely the wrong thing if you are changing from a TT to an STI because the TT is too common, the STI is hardly exclusive and the cabin quality will come as quite a shock after the Audi.
Depreciation is pretty standard, probably worth around 50% of what you paid in 3 years.
If you want something rare get a Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX8 or beetle cabrio.
Chuck
Old 01 October 2003, 10:42 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

RX8 and 350Z I'll go with, but a Beetle???????
JohnD
Old 01 October 2003, 11:09 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL...well it's hard to figure what kinda car would appeal to a TT driver
Chuckster
Old 01 October 2003, 11:10 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

not a nissan or a beetle thats for sure

Trending Topics

Old 01 October 2003, 11:31 AM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

no apparently the nissan is a big dissapointment, apparently it has a very badly put together interior, and a the engine is a real let down,

TT hmm i'd say S2000 sir
Old 01 October 2003, 12:46 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Wink

M8, forget about the cabin quality true the TT beats it...
But the Sti's not about that, after all spend 30k on a cateram and you don't get a cabin! Don't get me wrong its not that bad.
If your after performance and good overall use; then your looking at the right car... I use nine every day ALOT... It's a good compremise between the 4500 mile services on a EVO, and just as quick and Its almost as smooth as my old BMW-330 on the M-way.

As for performance I had a do with a TT driver, up the dual carrigeway, coming out of the roundabout he booted it, I booted it and I nearly nailed the thing up the ****! After 4th gear he was gone! for good. After yr TT it will be shocking... I did a 13.04 quarter and have had the rev counter almost to 7k on an aifield- that's way of the clock-160 and @ 25mph per thou is nudging 170 I've had the bike to that speed and it felt just as quick!
Its not just that though, I loved my BM a truly lovely car but the first testdrive i had in the STI did it, down some back roads the thing just goes turn and stops better than anything I've driven barr a 911 turbo...
+ one other thing I now get let out of junctions, people wave at me I don't know, my daughter always asks me if I know the people who give me the thumbs up when we drive around! And driving down the motorway watching people twisting thier heads to see as they go past I still find really funny! COOL!
Anyhow that my impression of owning a STI...PPP
Dazza
Old 01 October 2003, 01:00 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

i've had mine 7 months and done 17k miles. every day is fun.

mail me if you want detail.
Old 01 October 2003, 04:09 PM
marky1
Scooby Regular

thanks guys - I'm really not buying one for the cabin comforts -I have that on the TT and it's really not so important - want something now with a bit of zip to it! out of interest what is a spec C - can they be bought new?

The EVO VIII is great but not very practical - servicing every 4500miles seems too much and will be expensive - also I don't think it is a great looking car.
Old 01 October 2003, 04:29 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Spec C can be bought new, but not as an official import.
Have a read through this months Evo magazine for a glowing review.
I was only kidding about the beetle But you shouldn't dismiss Nissan...I don't see how Subau is any better as a 'brand'..in fact the Micra kills the Justy at base level, and the Skyline kills the Subaru at Halo level, so Nissan rules.
Chuck
Old 01 October 2003, 05:04 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Not really fair to compare the Skyline with a "generic" Impreza as the Skyline is a bigger, more expensive car. In any case I daresay the latest Spec C's would give the last of the standard Skylines a damn good run for their money somewhere like the Ring.

In a confined space the Impreza is also considerably handier than a Skyline. Nothing like a big, relatively unwieldy car to slow you down...
Old 01 October 2003, 08:37 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Wink

If you test drive an STi8 you WILL buy one - I guarantee it

If you don't - buy some more hair clippers
Old 02 October 2003, 07:17 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Greasemonkey I was talking about the brand not the individual car as it was the brand that Marky1 dissmissed. I agree with you which is why I have now owned 7 Subaru's including a 22BUK ie cost wasn't a consideration. However the Skyline is the holygrail of Japanese AWD for most Impreza owners...personally I think the R34 is too ugly but a nice R33 is pretty sexy.
Rds
Chuck
Old 02 October 2003, 07:37 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

or maybe some new clippers!

Mark
Old 02 October 2003, 08:09 AM
Charlie WRXSTI
Scooby Regular

I got my STi 4 weeks ago and have done just over 1800 miles. I only get to drive it in the evenings and weekends as I commute to London in the week. I have never owned a car which I get in and drive for the sake of it.

Love every minute I am in it
Old 02 October 2003, 08:58 AM
Sti_Lad
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ive had my Sti8 for 3 months now, OK it has its quirks, but its a great Car.
I drive it into central London every day and I get so Many looks, thumbs up and people letting me out its great! This is my first Scooby and hopefully will be the first of many!
The infamous Scooby wave, when I first got the car I thought something was wrong! People were flashing and waving! heheh now I remember to flash back!
Anyway, Sti8.... Love it. I have had the PPP ( got it after first 1500 miles) and its well worth the money, OK its not as effective as some aftermarket kits but keep the warranty intact.
I have a few friends whom after being taken out for a Blat are already saving up the pennies for one! ( maybe I should be commision based)