Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

GENERAL INFO PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2003, 08:03 PM
WELBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a "scooby newbie" i would be very greatful for any tips or general info on the day to day maintenance and running of my new baby(a 51 plate uk 300).
Should this be refered to as above or as an MY01,or MY01 WRX?
Or does it really matter?
Old 10 October 2003, 09:09 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Welcome to scoobynet

Generall info... hmm have your motor serviced on time as with all vehicles... use the best oil when you have your oil changed as low grade oils can't take the heat...

If your car is modified make sure you've the necessary gages etc to keep an eye on things incase some part is misbehaving..

Get a decat done to release more noise and a bit more power
with the decat you gota have a knocklink to let you know if your engines detting...

ALLWAYS allow your car to warm up properly before you give it some stick as the oil needs to be upto temerature to protect the engine...
Buy a disklok and lock your doors when your out and about too many idiots are out there hijacking motors..

anything else you wana know just post up a specific question and lotsa people on here will be happy to help

Edited to say if you drive it hard a lengthy period of time make sure you leave the engine runing at idle for 2minutes or so before you switch off as this allows the oil n turbo to cool down. A turbo timer is good as you dont have to remember everytime you switch off.

[Edited by Franko - 10/10/2003 10:03:38 PM]
Old 10 October 2003, 11:34 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Franko's advice is all good - ignore at your peril!

Only thing to add is...

Should this be refered to as above or as an MY01,or MY01 WRX? Or does it really matter?
It matters as the different model year cars have detail differences that can sometimes be significant, so if you tell everyone what model and model year of car you've got, we all know exactly what we're dealing with.

In your case it's easy as you can simply say you have a UK300, and everyone will know what you're talking about. FWIW though, all UK300's are MY (model year) '01.
Old 10 October 2003, 11:39 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Careful with turbo timers as these CAN invalidate insurance, as the engine is running without an immobiliser key in the ignition.

Use the highest RON fuel you can.

And post some pics im the Members Gallery or email me and ill add it to the gallery at www.scoobynetmembers702.fotopic.net
Old 11 October 2003, 05:10 PM
WELBY
Scooby Regular

Cheers Franko, As far as i know the car is standard. was not informed of any mods when i brought it, then again it was from a dealer so they probably wouldnt know anyway. As for oil, it was serviced by a dealer 2500 miles ago(and will be next time).
Also when i collected the car the salesman told me to use either normal unleaded or the optimax stuff but not to mix it, stick to one of them. he also said he had just filled it up for me with normal unleaded, so thats what ive stuck with....Should i change?
Old 11 October 2003, 05:31 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

You can change but its better to fill up near empty so your tank has main optimax but there should be no problem mixing. IMHO stick to optimax as its a better fuel and cleans as it burns. You may get better mpg and smoother running. I am now running on optimax in my zetec focus and the difference is noticeable, better mpg and it revs cleaner.

Old 11 October 2003, 06:00 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

as chrisp says..
best to be using optimax mate. it helps prevent det due to the fact it has a higher ron rating than normal unleaded... you should notice a smoother runing engine when you switch over.. can't see a problem with mixing the two but to be on the safe side allow the normall unleaded to run low before filling up with optimax..

Franko
Old 11 October 2003, 06:24 PM
WELBY
Scooby Regular

Cheers chaps, will be changing to optimax as soon as this tank runs out... (shouldnt be long the way theese babys drink it!!)
Old 10 November 2003, 06:47 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Also when i collected the car the salesman told me to use either normal unleaded or the optimax stuff but not to mix it, stick to one of them.
Salesman's talking out of anus there. The MY01-> ECU's have very active knock control and adjust very quickly to the grade of petrol in use. There's no reason to go out of your way to avoid mixing fuel grades, the ECU will just adapt as it goes.

he also said he had just filled it up for me with normal unleaded, so thats what ive stuck with....Should i change?
Your car will run noticeably better on a Super Unleaded (Opti,Ultimate etc.) specification fuel than on the "Premium" stuff.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 10/11/2003 6:48:18 PM]