ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

shater proof windows for my scoob?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2003, 12:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

Anti Glass-break film is alot stronger than normal tint film.

You can get tinted versions. But I think there is a smaller choice of tint levels. The ones I had done were far too dark for my liking (in fact so dark, I could'nt see eff-all out the side/rear windows and had to take it off).

[Edited by ALi-B - 11/4/2003 12:08:25 PM]
Old 04 November 2003, 11:49 AM
Simonz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAS ANYONE BOUGHT ANY OF THAT SHATTER PROOF FILM? i'M THINKING OF GETTIN SOME AND WONDERED IF ANY BODY HAS BOTH TINTED WINDOWS AND THE SHATER PROOF FILM?
Old 04 November 2003, 11:53 AM
longdogs
Scooby Regular

I was told when i had mine done that a decent tint film adds strength to the windows anyway can't remember but i think it was around 30%, problem is though that we don't have the upper bit of the doors so smash it even with film on and peel the whole thing back. it doesn't get stuck in the frame, makes it better but scumbags can still get in.
Old 04 November 2003, 12:05 PM
rjlinney
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Other thing to consider is that this sort of film makes it a lot more difficult for the emergency services to get at you should the worst happen.

I know, we don't want to get out cars nicked, but I'm more bothered that I can be got out should the worst happen to me any my car.

I defintely place my safety and that of my passengers above the security of my (very much loved) Impreza.

... just thought I'd chuck in my 2p's worth...
Old 04 November 2003, 12:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
BTW it's not "Shatter Proof" as you say in the Topic title...the glass will still shatter, but will stay intact in one piece.
Old 04 November 2003, 12:33 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
local company to me do it, and they threw 40 house bricks at it, before a crack appeared

they hit it 4 times with a hammer very hard before it cracked also, i asked about the safety aspect of being able to kick the window out if trapped inside, and was told that this is the only downside to it, and that it is a trade off against being car-jacked/having your windows put through

Old 04 November 2003, 02:46 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

The film goes on the inside and, as stated previously, holds the glass in one piece if it is smashed from the outside, making it difficult to get into the car. However, if you smash the glass and push from the inside (or poke something through the shttered glass, and pull from the outside), it gives way quite easily.

I believe there is a chap called Doctor CLIFFORD who posts on here and fits the stuff. He seems to come highly recommended, and I think charges about £50 per window, which seems quite reasonable. I think he's based in Birmingham (the nice bit!!!). Suggest you do a search if you want to find his details.