ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Should I wax my brand new scoob?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2003, 01:00 PM
Arthur Fowler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Would you recommend me waxing it the day I get my new scoob (2 weeks and 5 days, but who's counting?!), or is the PDI clean a good one which will make it look its best?

Thanks
Arthur
Old 12 November 2003, 01:07 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Stuff waxing it and get out and drive the damned thing and get it run in as quick as possible... 'ya big posing girls blouse'
Old 12 November 2003, 01:27 PM
iDLe*
Scooby Regular

You been at the Christmas club money again arf? Nice motor!

Old 12 November 2003, 01:39 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Still got white Autoglym type residues down some of my nooks and crannies from the PDI 3 years ago[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Wish they had just given it to me with all the protective gunge they use for the boat still on and let me clean it myself with appropriate products.
Old 12 November 2003, 02:12 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

If you're going to anything to it. Give it a DiamondBrite
Old 12 November 2003, 03:51 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I get mine done once a month by a professional waxing company. I really notice the difference the wax makes to the coat, it really brings out the true blue of my STi. After waxing, the paint will stay in good condition for ages and when it gets dirty all you need to do is wash it with clean water to get your car looking all nice and sparkling again ! Wax will also offer better protection against bird crap, tree sap and etc.
Old 12 November 2003, 03:56 PM
iain ross
Scooby Regular

upon recieving my car 2 weeks ago i applied paint sealent followed by meguiars wax, now when i clean it i just use water and it comes up looking good without any effort. i'll be aplying another coat of wax in 3/4 weeks time.
Old 12 November 2003, 04:20 PM
substandard4
Scooby Newbie

I haven't even got my black 04 yet (mid-dec) but I have bought the Swizöl PPP (pricey polish pack) already.
I too was wondering how long to wait before smearing my black beauty in hot wax.
Old 12 November 2003, 04:29 PM
AK47
Scooby Regular

there's no need to run the paint in.. the sooner you care for your paint the better...it's like conditioner for your hair
Old 12 November 2003, 05:16 PM
Arthur Fowler
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input.

SiPie: Yes I intend to drive it loads, but having bought the car, I haven't got any money left for petrol

substandard4: How do you get an "04" in December 03?

iain ross: What's paint sealant, and who makes it?

iDLe*: Yes, I've been at the Christmas box, why do you think I didn't get one in September?!

Arthur
Old 12 November 2003, 05:22 PM
iain ross
Scooby Regular

paint sealant: basically if you paint anything the finish is coarse with each individual grain of paint. the sealant fills all of the uneven surface and gives you a smooth finish. therefore dirt grim dust etc has no surface on which to stick. makers include swissol,supaguard or care and protect from your subaru dealer. i did the work myself, comes out alot cheaper. hope this helps.
Old 12 November 2003, 05:23 PM
StiShrek
Scooby Regular

agree with sipie

jesus man get some ***** and drive it rather than asking if you should wax it

Old 13 November 2003, 07:18 AM
substandard4
Scooby Newbie

>substandard4: How do you get an "04" in December 03?

That's when the first shipment comes into the country (CH). I ordered it 3 weeks ago, had the option of taking a 03 now, or waiting a bit. Not huge differences, but ahem, fuel consumption has been significantly reduced apparently. Same price too. On same day bloke at garage ordered an 04 sti too, and he gets it same time as me. We don't get the option of the prodrive pack though.
Old 13 November 2003, 07:57 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Substandard4 - don't wait at all, get out and give yourself some grin factor whilst you run the engine in for a week or two, then get to work with the Swissol Car Bath, Paint Cleaner and then the Wax - you won't regret it.

Whereabouts are you? In Suisse-Romande territory? If so, head for La Col de La Faucille or St. Cergues for some huge grin moments
Old 13 November 2003, 08:33 AM
substandard4
Scooby Newbie

hoi sti frenchie -
well the garagiste insisted i wait for the 04, he probably gets a bigger slice on the new'uns, don't know. it is a bit of a pain coz it's getting a bit cold here in zürich on the bike now. I ride alot of the passes down south - mainly the ch-i border (susten, bernina, bernadino, stilfersjoch, ofen, spluga) but keep meaning to get down your end to explore too, have noted your recommendations!

I have the swizöl starter pack with the '2nd' wax (forget the name, not the samurai), with wash, polish and wax, and wheel cleaning kit. I tried it all out on the bike (also black) comes up fantastic! Quite erotic too spreading it on with the hands, can't wait to feel up the new car! Wheel cleaner isn't that great though (minty odour), still takes hours to do my spoked alloys, even with the drill and brushes. But the swizöl metal polish is good quality.

Si tu veux je peut écrire en francais, j'habitais deux années à belfort!

Cheers
Old 13 November 2003, 10:35 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Yup, getting a bit nippy here in Geneva as well these days. Sounds like you are pretty much up to speed on the Swissol stuff...don't you just want to EAT that wax ?

There are a few other members on here from Switzerland and in Zurich as well IIRC...plus a decent number from Germany. You could do worse than check out the french webclub as well as there are Swiss members posting regularly on there so a meet isn't out of the question !