Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sti8 +PPP performance ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2003, 08:38 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
had my sti 8 prodrived about a month ago, ive never been too gobsmacked at the results, cant make my mind up wether it feels like it should....... so....... had it on the rolling road, it got flywheel 308bhp, and torque 280lb/ft......
but that hasnt put my mind at rest ?????
any suggestions, if the bhp is right and the torque is as right as a rolling road can give, does that mean everything performance wise is right ????
would a subaru dealer diagnostic give me a better idea ?
paul
Old 13 November 2003, 07:25 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation

Paul,
Don't worry about it my STi7 PPP RR figures varied between 281-289 Bhp and 247-260lbs Torque so it has never been close to 300bhp and 300lbs. But my car does it on the road

PPP made bigger differences to the MY02STi7 than the MY03sti because the std'02' was bad compared to the std MY03.

Careful of induction mods, One MY03 i went in, had inducion kit fitted. it was struggling to keep up with a M8's std P1(my PPP'd 7 is quicker) His car was over boosting and ECU cut the power. Removed Kit and put back to Std, hey Presto no problem. If get a mapper to program a Induction kit in, all well and good but it's not accounted for with PPP.

As for rolling roads they are an excellent aid for car tuners and modder's. But they don't truely replicate road loading/drag on quick setup Rolling road days

Better(closer) performance fiqures are achieved with the likes of Delta-dash. I think the AP performance meter is a cheaper version but fairly accurate.

IMHO AFAIRC etc etc. and flame suit ready

Tony

Old 13 November 2003, 08:50 AM
AndyBrew
Scooby Regular

I think the biggest problem with the car is its smoothness, you just simply don't realise the speeds your doing. Get yourself on a B road and just tootle along, without trying you'll be hitting 80, 90 without even noticing, then when your doing 80 you plant your foot and you don't get the instant shove you get in 1, 2, 3 etc. but then you won't cos your in 5th

I think its about perception, we don't think we are travelling fast unless we are constantly about to **** ourselves, this simply doesn't happen in the 8 its tooooo bloody good

I had exactly the same concerns as yourself, however I am now learning to enjoy the car. My favourite deserted back road, lower the rear windows yeeeehaaaaaaaaa!

My advice find yourself a road where you use mainly 2nd, 3rd and 4th and then see how fast you think it is its worked for me
Old 13 November 2003, 10:37 AM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

guess youve both got valid points and thoughts that ive had too, i did the back road thing, there is a lovely double laned road nr me, rarely used, did a launch with the missus on stop watch [i know its not ideal and i know a little sad too !! lol] from standstill, i got 5 seconds dead to 60, which although not the quoted figure of 4.6 isnt bad for a home grown boy + wife !!! lol
i have actually ordered an induction kit [which ive been informed off supplier is fine for sti8+ppp ????] its one of those blits induction cover kits [fits directly over the standerd air box, but the lid is replaced with a mesh].. ill give it a go, but ill bear in mind overboost and ecu cutting in.........
funny really, sometimes im driving and i think the car is really fast and i love it, other times i dont ?!?!?!?!?
thanks for the comments
paul
Old 13 November 2003, 11:06 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Paul,
Agreed as Andy(above) said, a lot has to do with perception. Mostly I'm to busy holding on to look at speedo I used to have the same on my STi 7PPP, one day did it the next day not .

Most peeps put it down to heat soak in the IC, The TMIC is very efficient but If you slow below below 20mph, stop/starting etc. intake temps rise and ECU gives low boost a few minutes after 30+mph and charge Temps should fall to acceptable levels This is the only time I manually use IC spay

During warm weather take off the platic Driptray underneath engine, this will increase the air movement, hence reducing engine bay Temps.

IMHO IIRC

Tony
Old 13 November 2003, 12:04 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Paul

From what you have said, the induction kit you have ordered sounds like it going to be drawing warm air from the engine bay. I can guarantee that your car will be slower more of the time and is definately NOT compatible with a PPP.

Regards

Mike
Old 13 November 2003, 12:08 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

The story goes:

If your PPP'd car doesnt meet the advertised figures... ITS HEAT SOAK!!!!

Trending Topics

Old 13 November 2003, 08:40 PM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

so what the hell are these people doing [revolution] saying that the blitz induction cover will work perfectly with a sti8 + ppp ???? if what you say is true mike [and you should know], pity someone hadnt given me this advice before i ordered it !!!!!!!! then i guess ill have to get my money back ?!?!
paul
Old 13 November 2003, 10:54 PM
AndyBrew
Scooby Regular

I bought a dump valve and an induction kit from Goode's, they took the air filter back before I fitted it and the dump valve is in my garage still

I think its got something to do with they make money from it
Old 13 November 2003, 11:04 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

I think AndyBrew is spot on.

for what it's worth after 20k in my sti8.
Old 14 November 2003, 07:09 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

For those peeps who owned a Classic fitted "Goodies" like Induction kits, Xhorst's and improved performance by 20% without a remap : sorry it's not as easy as THAT on the Newage

The performance so much more controlled(restricted boost) by ECU than restrictive Xhorsts and Induction in classic's. You are more likely to lose Performance by these little add ons as the ECU will cut boost if reads toooooooooo much boost

The "ECU" is now in total control, if your really lucky, adding a one or the other MAY add 5% to performance and not cut Boost. As said they are selling you these bits not guarantying Performance Sounds better, going faster, probablly not.

I service mine every 5Kmiles but I have really given it some welly since it passed the 1K miles now done 16k on it has really loosened up which has done more for perfromance than Mods

IMHO AFAIR etc flame suit awaiting

Tony

Ps Mods are a big risk to the all important Warranty so my advice is cane it but don't abuse it

[Edited by T5NYW - 11/14/2003 7:48:59 AM]
Old 15 November 2003, 07:01 AM
nicebloke36
Scooby Regular

im gonna take a trip up to revolution this morning and get me money back........ :0(
paul
Old 16 November 2003, 04:59 PM
macka
Scooby Regular

I think you get used to the power as well and then the car doesn't feel as quick as it did. Just drive around in a slow car for a while every now and again. Brings the initial grin factor back - for a while anyway.

Enjoy
Old 17 November 2003, 04:29 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Agree with T5NYW.....very noticeable improvement when "loosened up" - around 10K miles in my "7", but less in my previous classics!

Phil