ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Will someone please stop that ...

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2000, 12:42 AM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He He

Had a similar problems years ago with an alarm. Ended up dropping the still screaming alarm in a bucket of water.

Found out later the cause......
my car battery was flat........

NeilR
Old 25 May 2000, 12:46 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Red face

Watch Out....

There have been quite a few cases of alarms going off in the night for no apparent reason, often night after night. Usually after a few nights of upsetting the neighbours, the owner leaves the alarm switched off and funny enough the next morning the car has gone!

If some bugger really wants your car, he'll get it, even if it takes a couple of days.

[This message has been edited by Dark (edited 25-05-2000).]
Old 25 May 2000, 10:07 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

NOISE...Flamin Alarm started going at about 9pm last night (Clifford concept 300). despite presing every button on the remote and in every combination, damned thing would not shut down. Anyone who has one of these will know how LOUD they are, after 10 minutes of wailing every variation of tune (they make several different sounds you know, like police cars, fire engines, ambulances..very entertaining for the neighbours.) Anyway eventually it stopped and made a noise like it had died...thank god for that..10.30..off it went again..oh no..5 mins later stopped again. Put it in valet mode hoping it wouldn't arm itself again. Off to bed...1.15 am... ,outside garage open, spanners out, ear defenders on, took out siren, cut wires, still screaming, desperation...Club Hammer !! I can't, I can, I can't, BANG BANG BANG ....silence...back to bed for 4 hours sleep before getting up for work.

Just got in and had to share this with you all..

PS. 2nd time it's packed up in 6 months, not what you'd expect for a £470 alarm system...Black mark for clifford.. .go buy a sigma..

[This message has been edited by Showtime (edited 25-05-2000).]

Old 25 May 2000, 10:54 AM
richards
Scooby Regular

Yup, I had probs with my Clifford 600 G4 model which either kept giving false alarms (apparently because of a faulty tilt-sensor) or would stop you from using your own car (faulty anti-hijack feature).

From now on, a RELIABLE, SIMPLE and ROBUST alarm is all you need - if the low-life wants your car, they'll get it.

Agree with the Sigma - top product but get an RAC trackstar - said to be the dogs-danglies in the tracking market. (I had a Tracker monitor but they never called me once even though my car has been moved a few times without the key in the ignition...)
Old 25 May 2000, 01:07 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

I'm not totally convinced of the effectiveness of alarms anyway, as how many times do you hear one going in a carpark, and no-one taking a blind bit of notice.

You probably should have one - it is a deterrant, after all - but I don't think I'm going to bother about one of the serious high tec (and expensive) ones. I think I'll get a Sigma/Toad/Cobra type of alarm, and then fit a Barrier Deadlock. That at least should confuse the b*ggers!!
Old 25 May 2000, 02:08 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

One thing you have to remember though, the alarm is only as good as the installer, you could have the very latest system, with 250000 volt seat pads and stuff, but if Johnny installer is an imbecile its not going to work ????
Old 25 May 2000, 02:11 PM
richards
Scooby Regular

Ian, where did you get those seat pads from - I want a set!!!
Old 25 May 2000, 02:16 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Angry

Def not thievin gits, was the 'kin alarm havin a fit, I could open the doors and even start the engine, damn thing still didn't know it was 'daddy' , close inspection of the remaining 'bits' was a very wet circuit board. Rain in off the bonnet vents somehow creeping into the siren and zzzzz. Anyhow, all quiet now that daddy's removed it's lungs.. ..might get some sleep tonite..then again with no alarm to warn me of wrongdoers..Oh no here we go again..

Talking of dissuading people, wasn't there a company a while ago that gave you a kit that wired up the doorhandles to the mains or something...where do I get that..(imagine forgetting to turn it off tho when you're late one day , need a long ext lead to use it at work tho'

Old 25 May 2000, 02:55 PM
swa
Scooby Regular

Smile

Gonae knaw dae tha. Houw? Juss gonnae .... knaw!

he he he
Old 25 May 2000, 02:58 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Er..What ?
Old 25 May 2000, 03:08 PM
swa
Scooby Regular

Talking

he he he , he
Old 25 May 2000, 03:34 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

bottom line is that clifford alarms are a waste of money
Old 25 May 2000, 05:46 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes, I think I realise that now..world beating security..ha ha ha..no match for a good clubhammer
Old 25 May 2000, 07:16 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Personally i love my concept 300 with Intellistart as i get an extra 10 minutes in bed

Cheers
Simon
Old 25 May 2000, 07:34 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Richards : hehehehehehehe, havent got the cushions yet, but they are on my wish list cant think of a better end for the scum
Old 26 May 2000, 01:27 AM
swa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Juss, gonae, knaw ...

he he he he he
Old 26 May 2000, 12:25 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

Is the car battery running low?
I had my microscan go off every hour last year! chaged the car-battery and it has been fine ever since.
Old 26 May 2000, 01:01 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Talking

Salsa..No.it's not the battery, rest of systems fine..just doesn't have a voice any more. (till it gets replaced today).

SWA..You're mad yunnow ..Just gonna know what? that I'm a mad *** alarm killer (perhaps I'll change me name to 'Terminator')

no, possibly not
Old 26 May 2000, 04:34 PM
swa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gonae knaw dae tha ..... ...... in your language = "will someone please stop that...."

he he he .... well I had a laugh out of it anyway ..... he he...he he he he he he
Old 27 May 2000, 02:10 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Guys,

I had a clifford on an old RS and it was nothing but trouble. Clifford only have a name through aggressive marketing and a huge presence in the states. I spoke to the guy who fitted my Toad Ai600 (which is the bolox) and apparently all the manufacturing is subbed out so all the different parts of a Cliff. are made by different firms. What made me chuckle is he said he'd seen a few remotes which were exactly like those from that other reputable alarm manu. yep you guessed it Harry Moss !!!
Old 27 May 2000, 03:54 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have had Clifford on my last four cars. Originally I had a £350 Super Nova Clifford alarm ( a few years ago) and this was fantastic, it never went wrong but it wasn't a cat1 as it didn't have battery backed siren. On my last two Scoobs I went for the Concept 50 and they have been a bit problematic for one reason or another.

Most annoying is the passive arming. My original Clifford would only passive arm the immobiliser and one press on the keyfob would disarm it. But the concept 50 passive arms the immobiliser and the alarm together. (I have the automatic door locking turned off)so if you happen to be sitting in the car with the ignition turned off, the alarm arms itself a few seconds later and then you can't move or get out of the car without setting the alarm off unless you disarm it, which involves pressing the button twice, the first time it locks the doors and the second it disarms it. What a marathon!! then my girlfriend always sets it off in petrol stations, my father hasn't a clue what's going on the times I've lent him the car and absolutely hates the alarm- "Why do you have to have an alarm that's so bloody complicatd??" I heard that the G4 alarms were the nuts but clearly some of you are unhappy with these too...so it looks as though I'll be avoiding Clifford in the future after years of brand loyalty!

I'm not over impressed with Tracker either at the moment. The other day I turned the ignition completely off and rolled down my girlfriend's dads long drive just to see whether I would be notified by Tracker 24hr monitoring. Well I wasn't. So much for all the hype before I had it fitted that in some instances just loading a van up with tools was enough to set it off- Yeah right!! I'm going to try it once more with the key completely removed (have to watch out for steering lock though) and if it still doesn't work I'll demand my money back and fit a Trackstar!

I do have anti smash Pentagon security tints though, probably the most effective security device I have!! The Clifford is useless because all the thief has to do is turn on the valet mode, I bett 99% of customers don't bother changing the preset code!

Nito
Old 27 May 2000, 07:03 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

I've just had a Clifford concept 500 fitted and I'm very pleased with it. It does have the passive alarm arming but you can turn it off permanently via the key fob remote so that just the immobilizer arms.
And yes I have changed the factory set code (twice). It has between one and four digits and if anyone guesses it in three goes I'll send them a fiver!
It also has the Blackjax anti-hijack system which means that even if someone has your keys they only get 60 seconds down the road before the ignition shuts down and the alarm sounds.
Old 27 May 2000, 08:21 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

A fiver eh?

Up,down,up,down??
down,down,down,up??
down,up,down,down??

Am I a winner??

Nito
Old 28 May 2000, 06:28 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nope !!
Old 28 May 2000, 09:57 PM
KenG
Scooby Regular

Nito, my garage triggered my Tracker by moving the car without the key. Very embarrassed they were, especially as they fitted it in the first place.

Ken