Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Perfect Scoob Launch

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2000, 12:15 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I was unable to better James' time in his car on the same day, for example.

Stef.
Old 22 May 2000, 12:59 AM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 22 May 2000, 10:37 AM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Question

What is the best technique for the perfect launch? My Scoob is the only AWD car I have driven/owned and have it in my head that because the transmission is so complicated driving all four wheels, reving the engine and dumping the clutch will cause extreme strain. My reasoning for this is that on, for example, a front wheel drive car, excess power delivery will simply cause the wheels to spin as traction cannot be maintained. However, as the Impreza can achieve traction, the transmission will "snap" as it sudenly unleashes 230BHP Is there any truth to this, or am I worrying about nothing? So far I have not reved the engined from a standstill before engaging gear. How are 0-60 times of 5.5 secs (as quoted by EVO for standard turbo's) achieved as this must have been with the optimum launch method? I ask this as in the future I would like to attend a track day and participate in the standing quarter mile.

Any comments appreciated
Old 22 May 2000, 10:54 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Ernie.
The 'perfect launch' will vary from car to car, depending on the power, type of clutch, tyres, etc.
In my opinion, a perfect launch is whatever YOU feel most comfortable with in YOUR car.
I too have read the articles that state "hold the revs at 6,000 and dump the clutch" yet despite what people may think, I personally would feel uncomfortable doing this to my car.
As a reference though, I generally rev the engine between 5000 and 5500 revs, and when I want to go, release the clutch 'swiftly' whilst at the same time depressing the throttle at the same rate, if that makes sense? I'm sure there are specific words to describe these actions, but god knows what they are!
I guess it sounds pretty obvious when you read it like that, but that's how it is.
Too much power application and you'll either spin the wheels or 'hurt' the transmission, too little and you'll bog down and get a poo time!
You could always fit launch control if you're that bothered, I believe Harj is considering it!
I have found that every car is different though. In the different cars I have tried, the launch I use in my car was not as effective in these others. You need to learn the best style for your particular set-up.
The best way to do this is to practice.
Simple realy.

Stef.
Old 22 May 2000, 10:55 AM
JamesH
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ask Stef!

My "Technique" is to 5500 revs and side slip the clutch - not dump it

5.8s 2up Full tank of unleaded (not super)
Old 22 May 2000, 05:04 PM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Wink

I did try the rev it up and dump the clutch technique......It made an awful clonk noise as the drivetrain suddenly engaged and then we shot off like the proverbial rat up a drainpipe. However, I am not convinced the Clonking noise from under my seat can have been all that good for me, my wallet or the car...so no more...

I now do as Stef suggested...it is quite difficult to describe, it is more like easing the clutch out smoothly and quickly rather than a quick dump (sic)!!

I did hear on the grapevine that it isn't necessarily a goiod thing to do to often...something about 10 clutch dumps and your clutch then smokes itself into an early grave...I don't suppose new clutches are that cheap either......

Jamie
Old 22 May 2000, 09:45 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Perfect lauch method?

Purchase an old aircraft carrier, and use the steam catpult

Ive heard a rumour its Mike Rs secret 2000 mod

robski
Old 24 May 2000, 02:51 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Arm Launch control, bring revs up to launch limit, feed rally clutch in smoothly but swiftly, get ready to change to second...
Old 24 May 2000, 03:05 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Moray.

Stef.
Old 25 May 2000, 12:51 AM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

I have to say that my perfect getaway sounds very similar to Stef's , it's far more sympathetic to the transmission and you still almost pass out with the G being pulled.

I seldom do it now though as i have 70,000 miles on my clutch.

NeilR
Old 25 May 2000, 02:46 AM
swa
Scooby Regular

How does the launch control work - is it working similar to F1 pit lane limiters or the startline bits that they just banned or .... what ???

Anyway Moray - sounds like cheating to me??
Old 25 May 2000, 04:50 PM
S55 DVM
Scooby Regular

Talking

I agree a bit of "slipping" seems to give a smooth, very quick start, but I once sidestepped the clutch at approx. 6500 rpm, which caused the passenger floormat to land up on the passenger seat. An impressive jumping feam I thought, plus I think I bruised my brain in the process, but that's nothing new!

Later.
Old 25 May 2000, 10:49 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Set the revs at 4000 rpm. Feed in the clutch slowly to biting point and as the revs drop adjust the throttle to keep revs around 4000. Once clutch starts to bite hard then floor accelerator.

I think this the best way to take off quickly but is in practice difficult to do. Most often the revs die just as you take off resulting in severe turbo lag.

D.
Old 26 May 2000, 04:55 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Stef,

I can do it "manually" too!

I got my 3.9sec with muppet on board whilst handicapped by lack of electrickery!

Moray
Old 26 May 2000, 06:57 PM
KevinW
Scooby Regular

Question

Ok experts,

Can anyone tell me this. With the standard clutch in MY94 WRX I could consitently launch the car incredibly quickly.

However, since the fitment of a group N clutch I have only once got what I consider to be the perfect launch (and what a beaut it was - must have been knocking on the sub 5 sec door on a damp / wet road). It either stutters slightly whilst still being very quick (but not looking pretty) or I don't get the revs up high enough and the car takes an age to get going (Skoda felica driver waving back at me).

Tell me why (please)?

Kevin

[This message has been edited by KevinW (edited 26-05-2000).]
Old 27 May 2000, 11:32 AM
ernie
Scooby Regular

Old 28 May 2000, 02:21 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Kevin,

You need to adjust the technique for your new clutch. Practice.

Moray
Old 28 May 2000, 06:49 PM
KevinW
Scooby Regular

Moray,

Thanks for the reply, I intend to get lots of practice cos I fancy a go at the 0-60 sprint at TRAX 2000. Its just amazing how almost completely different the car behaves with this clutch!

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 28 May 2000, 10:59 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Sounds like I need a new clutch!

If I get the Turbo spinning before the clutch bites then it just slips like **** and acts like a, very rapid, automatic!

I find that If I get it to about 3000 revs and let it bite a bit you can then bury the accelerator and get read for the next gearchange in about... 0.2 seconds ?

I'll get me coat!