Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WRX v's STi - Newbie Help...

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2003, 08:30 PM
Alex Creasey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see how you would know wether a fresh import has been thrashed or not???? Just because it's just been shipped over from Japan doesn't mean it's been driven at 30mph all it's life.....
I'm sure there are alot of owners in the UK who don't drive like they've just nicked their car...

[Edited by Alex Creasey - 12/1/2003 8:34:02 PM]
Old 01 December 2003, 12:23 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hello, 1st post...

Non 'scooby owner' testing the water.

Budget for a car 6k-7k - from what I have seen on the web / autotrader so far I can get a WRX with no problems but the STi models appear at a premium.

Given the possible blueprinted engine, suspension, strut brace, inlet / exhaust manifold changes I have read about so far - do they perform better than the WRX?

I'm looking for a Jap import I think but not sure to hold out for the STi...

Are there any good links to the specs of the models - seats, rims etc out there? To allow me to compare the cars.

Also I would like to know the dates the models became available to tie this up when looking for a reg & spec of car.. I have seen many differences in the interior - I wish to get hte most supportive seats - Recaros? - when did these become - What models and Reg's have which combinations ?

Finally

Do any of you have any good 'direct' jap links to Jap dealers / exporters to get a feel for the prices over in Japan - I just get the feeling for the 'importers' sites I have seen they may be taking a huge premium. Then again I appreciate they are doing a lot of the hard work

So.... Looking for a nice scooby - WRX v STi ? - Where can I get one? - Specs ?- WWW links to Jap exporters / importers?

Finally 0.1...

Is it a good idea to buy a 'modded' one - seems like a plan as you seem to get all the toys - turbo timer, hks system, gauges.. etc?

Thanks for any assistance - let you know my progress.

Old 01 December 2003, 07:59 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

the sti will mostly perform better then the wrx

later classic wrx`s had a bigger power output of 276bhp (saloons), not sure if u will find a decent one for your price range, i checked in the autotradr last week and the price of a equivelent model to mine seamed a rather high 10k

earlier sti`s might be a better option for you, as for performance, thats hard to say, i am a firm beliver that good 1/4 mile times are down to the lauch and how hard you want to abuse your car

i have won a good few races with my car againts sti`s and layed down sum impresive times, considering i havnet actualy done much to it (engine wise )and it still has its main cat in the downpipe

maybe i just got a "brisk" one
who knows
Old 01 December 2003, 08:50 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Thanks, You mentioned 'classic' wrx is is this a model ? which dates are the best bang for buck years?

Cheers
Old 01 December 2003, 11:05 AM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Scoobydoo the classics are the pre 2000 models with the more traditional look (prior to the bug style headlamps). You will only get one of these with your budget but they are great cars, as for WRX/STi, moded or unmodded, given that you'll be buying one that's a few years old the main thing is the condition and how it's been looked after. I'd sooner have a totally standard car that's been lovingly maintained than one that's basically on it's last legs with ots of goodies.

only my opinion but good luck finding one m8 - there are alot of dogs about.
Old 01 December 2003, 11:32 AM
christian clark
Scooby Regular

Scoobydoo - I am an STI version 4 owner (classic shape) on a 1998 r reg. I have had a brand new uk sti with prodrive pack giving 305 bhp, car was jan this year until stolen whn 2 weeks old. I also had Rb5 wr and uk300 - all very good fun............ F**k all comes close to the sheer power delivery of an STI jap import .
Give me a bell on 07710 629700 if u want more info - I hate typing!!!!!! good luck fella,
christian.
Old 01 December 2003, 05:15 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the responses.

Good point on the modded or not - possibly better to look for a good clean example with history... history is there such a thing with jap imnports? - They could just say any mileage?

Cheers guys

Trending Topics

Old 01 December 2003, 05:20 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

well u can get history with them but its normaly in funny writing

i went for a unmolsted standerd car rather then a modded one, never liked modifyed cars when buying but @ the same time i never have any problems selling them

if u buy a fresh import you wil know that it hasnt had its arsed ragged about on the wrong petrol and stuff
Old 01 December 2003, 06:02 PM
christian clark
Scooby Regular

scoobydoo - if you look at the for sale thread - scroll through the pages till u find "subaru impreza sti version 4" see what u think mate. How old r u ? insurance is a **** for these things.........!!!!!!!!!
Old 01 December 2003, 08:41 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Wink

The prospect of getting a few toys like an apex boost controller, injectors, funky ecu & a big ol' wuffa chuffa of an exhuast system all float my boat oh yea and a ruddy great 'ptswoosh - ptsh' noise would be nice. I've done both in the past with other cars - when I 've bought standard I 've spent the same again on modding... strange world.

Now I need a scooby. Any www links to jap sites / auctions to get a taste for whats out there as opposed to the listings on importers sites?
Old 01 December 2003, 09:35 PM
The Terminator wrx
Scooby Regular

dunno if this helps but herwe is a spec list of the differences on the sti 4
http://www.iwoc.co.uk/jpsti.html
good luck
p.s. i have an sti 4 also, rapid car !!!!!!
Old 01 December 2003, 09:55 PM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

Where in scotland are you? try powervehicles.com they come highly recommended on here and are based at edinburgh. I may be selling my sti2 but i havn't decided yet. If i am i'll let you know. I'd defo wait till you can get an sti they are awsome.
Old 01 December 2003, 10:02 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Great link - cheers - two days using the forum & I am much better informed - great place.

WRX or STi - depends on the cash really - would love a 97> car but probably not enough budget - WRX looks on the cards...
Cheers
Old 01 December 2003, 10:03 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Great link - cheers - two days using the forum & I am much better informed - great place.

WRX or STi - depends on the cash really - would love a 97> car but probably not enough budget - WRX looks on the cards...
Cheers
Old 01 December 2003, 10:21 PM
The Terminator wrx
Scooby Regular

welcome m8 ;-)
Old 01 December 2003, 10:31 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I don't see how you would know wether a fresh import has been thrashed or not????
i said thrashed about on the wrong petrol
Old 02 December 2003, 12:14 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Advanced engine management systems / boost controlers seem to come on many of the import cars I've seen. Point taken that they might have been owned by an 'spirited driver' before me but as they come already fitted - what kind of ps / bhp can you expect from one of these devices over standard management?
Bigger boost & bigger injectors go with this package?
Cheers

Old 02 December 2003, 10:18 AM
JohnnyR6
Scooby Regular

Watch what performance goodies are on the car as they are not set up to run on our crappy fuel. Make sure if it's modded you use an octane booster and fit a knocklink and if poss get it on the rollers to check the fueling etc.
Old 02 December 2003, 10:50 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Advanced engine management systems / boost controlers seem to come on many of the import cars I've seen. Point taken that they might have been owned by an 'spirited driver' before me
That's not the main point. As the others have said, the point is that an import that's been modified in Japan with their 100 RON fuel in mind will need remapping again (and/or prodigious amounts of octane booster) to run on our fuel without self-destructing. There's no point paying a premium for a car with a Japanese chip when you've got to throw it away immediately, or risk it grenading the engine. Main exceptions to this rule would be the truly programmable ECU's, Air-fuel computers and so-on, provided there's someone over here who can work with them.

but as they come already fitted - what kind of ps / bhp can you expect from one of these devices over standard management?
Piece of string question. Some of the Jap chips get silly power but at the expense of driveability, and as mentioned earlier, they'll be set up for Japanese petrol, not ours, and thus won't give the same power or reliability here anyway.

Bigger boost & bigger injectors go with this package
Bigger boost is normally taken for granted. As for bigger injectors, again it would depend on the specific car you're looking at.
Old 02 December 2003, 05:49 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Thanks Greasemonkey - never mind the optimax I going to order some of that 125Ron Hks fuel.... well better get a car first i suppose..

Budget increased to £7,500... sti money maybe...

Cheers guys
Old 02 December 2003, 05:59 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

OMG

how much are u ordering?
do u relise how much fuel they use!
Old 03 December 2003, 08:12 PM
Alex Creasey
Scooby Regular

So what did the "and Stuff" bit mean?
I'm not purposefully trying to pick holes in what you said but those two words make your statement read very differently!.... To little old me anyway.....

Oh, and edited to say good luck with whatever you end up getting Scooby Doo, a shame your not just a little bit closer to London as I'd take 7-7.5k for my STI....

[Edited by Alex Creasey - 12/3/2003 8:14:34 PM]
Old 03 December 2003, 08:45 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

This petrol thing is a big issue then!!

Can I get a custom ecu that will let me run on say 97 Ron or Optimax without having to add octane boost?

Or is the custom fuel management / boost management system a better option on a jap import.

Tell me more.

Cheers
Old 03 December 2003, 09:14 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It is possible to get the standard ECU's chipped/remapped to run safely on UK fuel, but how it's done and exactly how much it costs depends on what age of car you get.

'96 and earlier you can use a ScoobyECU. '99 and onward you can get it EcuTeKed. '97-8 are a bit of a grey area - not sure there's anyone who can remap them, but there's a vague memory in my head about Power Engineering.

£7500 would only get you into STi territory if you're talking about an old/well-used one. Maybe a tired version III. If you want something decent for that, it'd be more like a 96-97 WRX, or 97-98 UK Turbo, which of course would run safely on our fuel by default.
Old 03 December 2003, 09:20 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Cheers, I'm hearing ya on the STi score.
Tidy 96-97 Jap WRX then - who's selling?

Old 03 December 2003, 09:28 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

not me
Old 03 December 2003, 09:31 PM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bugger... have to keep walking to work making 'ptshwoosh - ptsh' noises then!

lol