Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Question on Lambda & knocklink, done search but cant find solution

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2003, 10:42 AM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Installed my Lambda link and Knock link this weekend and when I went on a run to test/calibrate and I have been left pretty confused. MY95 The power and ground for both is off the stereo.

Knock Link:
Sensor Is positioned on the right hand side back top of the block under the TMIC by the engine number.
I am under the impression that there should be no lights on the display when 1st turned on.
When on it displays one single green Led at the bottom and this doesn't change, When I tap the block (with a big Spanner) the lights will only flicker at two green and only then when its as close to the sensor as I can get. It seems to make no difference where the sensitivity is set. At one point last night there were no lights whatsoever, but the single one at the bottom was back this morning.

The Lambda link:
I have taken the Signal from the lambda link off the plug under the radiator filler on the left side of the block and earthed it on a nearby point on the engine.
I'm not too sure exactly what this should Display for normal operation but with mine,
If sitting at idle they seem to run up the scale every four seconds some times all lights some times just red to yellow
Under 2000 rpm the lights illuminate through red and yellow and when lifting of they go off for a few seconds.
Over 2000 rpm when the car is accelerating it with show the top green al the time accelerating, lift off and it all goes off then flickers over red and yellow every few seconds.
As much as Ive been able to see when driving.

Any advice welcome.

[Edited by Krade - 12/1/2003 10:45:20 AM]
Old 01 December 2003, 11:06 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
Scooby Regular

all I can tell ya is that the dim green light on the Knocklink is on all the time when it's live.
Old 01 December 2003, 12:04 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Knocklink.

First green is the power indication, it should always be on at half ilumination. Hitting the sensor should light all the LED's up, if it doesnt then you have a problem. Turn the sensitivity to max and leave it there. It's a common fault on knocklinks to have a faulty Big Red LED as they break away from the circuit board, so you must check that all the lights come on when you hit the sensor with a spanner (hit the bolt). If you dont do this test you wont know if the display is functioning properly. Also, when you first start the car, always look at the knocklink and check a couple of LEDS flash, it should pick up the starter motor hitting the flywheel and display that.

Lambda link.

When the car is idling, the lambda link should display it going up and down the scale as the closed loop fuelling control is switching the engine fuelling to keep emisions correct. Under full load boost you should have the mixture in the top green, if its not then you could have a lean running engine. The display off full load will vary depending on how loaded up the engine is, the display gives you guidance showing you where it would be expected under diferent load conditions. It's normal to have no lights on if you are cruising at a steady speed with no boost.
Old 01 December 2003, 01:39 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Cheers John,
So the Lambda is working ok but the knock link mught be faulty, I will check the lights tonight,was a bit worried about giving the sensor, or the bolt a smack in case it damaged the sensor.

Must say the instructions really go a long way to explain in laymens terms what they do and why
Old 01 December 2003, 01:49 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
dont hit the sensor, hit the top of the bolt. It shouldnt take a big smack to light up all the LED's, just a firm tap.
Old 01 December 2003, 02:15 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I've just fitted mine at it took quite a hard whack on the bolt to light the red up. Drove up the road hit red and blew the engine to bits Saw red but it was too late as a single massive det blew the piston.