Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How long........

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2003, 02:34 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does it take to fit a down pipe on a bugeye, assuming the bolts aren't corroded up (its only 1 year old so it can't be that bad!)
Old 04 December 2003, 02:41 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Depends how much of a hurry you're in. If the exhaust and turbo isn't too hot to touch, and everything comes off straight away, should be less than an hour.
Old 04 December 2003, 02:47 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

was going to put centre decat pipe on, but if it isn't a massive job then i'm better off (BHP increase wise) going for the down pipe, right??
Old 04 December 2003, 03:21 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Yes, decatting the centre while leaving the one on the downpipe in place would make precious little difference.
Old 04 December 2003, 05:27 PM
John P
Scooby Regular

Just asked a garage how long and they said 2-3 hours?, so privately i would guess half that time. Please reply if you DIY and then I will watch garage like a hawk and time them
cheers
Old 04 December 2003, 06:03 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

My "hour" estimate was based on DIY experience John, working on my own without the benefit of a pit or hoist to speed access to the underside of the car.

If you had a team of mechanics intent on doing the job quickly, it could probably be done in less than ten minutes. If they reckon it'd take two-three hours, they must be spending the bulk of the time reading the paper.
Old 05 December 2003, 07:51 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Right then, thats the next purchase Any recomendations?? I can get a new magnex one for £150 (25% discount through someone at work), so thinking about getting this one, but after helping a mate fit a system to a Clio i wasn't too impressed with the fit or the quality.

If it is obviusly such a quick job, there is no need to strip anything off to get to it then. I just heard people saying to take the intercooler off (classic shape) blah, blah, blah. Obviously if every thing is corroded up it will take a lot longer i suppose

[Edited by austen_wrx - 12/5/2003 7:53:40 AM]

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2003, 02:55 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

You do have to take the I/C off. It might theoretically be possible to do the job with it in situ, but you'd need rubber arms and hands to reach a couple of the bolts so removal is the quicker option.

AFAIR job is basically remove I/C, remove lambda sensor and turbo heatshield, remove centre section joint bolts, remove downpipe-turbo mounting nuts/upper bolts and heatshield frame, remove bolts from gearbox and bodyshell, unhook the DP from the bodyshell mount and drop it down and back.

Refit is above in reverse. Only thing that might catch you out is the risk of rust on the centre section and turbo/downpipe nuts. If these are really bad there's a risk of shearing the studs out of the turbo, which could really ruin your day.