SNOW + WRX = ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2000, 03:27 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,
I am in Australia and as winter has just arrived I am heading off to the snow this weekend. I've been up to the snow in my WRX before however the road was well swept and consequently was not able to experience on-snow driving. As this will be my first time driving on a slightly snowy surface, and the first time in a 4wd car, what can I expect? How much higher is the "chains-fitting-treshold" compared to a 2wd car. How good is the grip (on road tires)? I am a intermediate competent driver (6 track days, over 10 cart racing sessions), can I expect controllable powerslides or should I crawl along? How different is the grip from a very wet road?
Lots of questions.....
Thanks for the help, I see myself scandinavian-flicking up the mountain, with a cloud of snow behind.....but I fear reality might be more like a 20km/h crawl with chains (I hate chains).

Wall
Old 30 May 2000, 07:17 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should read your user Manual.. The ones for our cars state DO not use chains.. In fact the Impreza gets exemption at the "fit chains now" signs.

Reason being there isn't clearance with the 16" rim for chains.

As far as handling then a lot will depend on the tyres you have fitted. As winter tyres we either fit Bridgestone Blizzaks or Michelin Alpin.. The Blizzaks are AMAZING on ice and packed snow. It's just as if you're on a dry road.. Really incredible!! Not so good in deep snow then we use the Hakkapelita 10s with studs.

If you are regularly going to the snow then it may be worth looking at a set of the Blizzaks

Cheers

Richard

<edit Damn typos>

[This message has been edited by rsquire (edited 30-05-2000).]
Old 31 May 2000, 12:28 AM
RobJenks
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Wall,
Why ponce about in the snow when you can have a ball in Darwin!!!!!!!!!!
Old 31 May 2000, 07:14 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

richard,

sorry but you are the one who might need to re-read because my Subaru Impreza Manual talks about how to fit chains...how fast to drive with chains....what chains are the right size.... nothing about not fitting chains. And in case you are wondering, I have a MY99 (16" wheels standard) with 17" wheels, but as they are 205/45/17 they are virtually same diameter and width as standard so the chains should fit just the same.

Cheers back,

wall

[This message has been edited by wall (edited 31-05-2000).]
Old 31 May 2000, 07:54 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Hi Wall

be carefuly with Michelin Pilot Alpin(205/50/16R). Great on snow and ice but you become very softy steering on dry tarmac.
Old 31 May 2000, 09:33 AM
JohnS

Traction isn't a problem, even without chains. However, trying to stop or turn corners with wide low profile tyres on snow and ice needs a lot of care! BE very careful when going down hills, a the ABS will kick in, and you will feel as though you are accelerating down the hill with your foot pressed hard on the brakes.

Snow chains can be used, although only on the front wheels (this is where most of steering and braking performance comes from).

Any snow chains should be suitable, as long as they are for 16 inch wheels.
Old 31 May 2000, 09:51 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

G'day(g'night even)
Trust me........on one thing.....
the abs can make stopping distance on snow longer.It's hard to explain but it does.....
Grip will be better than 2wd
The scoob aka Wrex is a good performance car , sure but if you want it to stay that way dont play in the snow unless you've an empty car park the size of Mt kosciusko....Or if you can drive like Richard Burns enjoy....

In reality driving on snow is like normal driving....you just have to get used to it !! Takes time (My father made me learn to drive when we went on holiday...Skiing.....)

tell us how you get on.....

mike

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2000, 07:47 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Wall,

Very interesting because the USA Impreza RS manuals specifically state DO NOT fit chains to the 16" wheels.

Richard
Old 01 June 2000, 08:17 AM
wall
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys, I'll be careful.

RIchard, that is very interesting..... perhaps because the US cars have 205/55/16, whilst the STI / WRX has 205/50/16 ? The diameter would be slightly bigger therefore in the RS, and when you add the thickness of the chains it wouldn't leave enough room between the wheelarch and the tire if you have a fully-loaded car and you are leaning in a turn? The RS suspension is also softer then WRX/STI, so there would be even more leaning under load pusing the chain into the guard?
Seems like the only explanation.... ???

wall
Old 01 June 2000, 08:24 AM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

The thing I found the worst about snow and my scooby was the ABS! it kept coming in no matter how hard (or rather softly) I tried. It seemed far harder to stop than in my old non ABS MR2. I did start a thread on this in December/Jan and the response was mixed as to if the ABS was goood or bad in extreme conditions (I still love it 99% of the time).

I suggest you try to find the ABS limits before they find you!!!!!

Have fun,

Dave.
Old 01 June 2000, 09:30 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Hi GT

Try to use brake hoses. I have Sparco they are great and I have feeling that is no ABS only on extreme cod. helps to stop the car. I dont know why it`s happen may that hoses have bigger diameter and brake fluid can`t pulse normaly.
Old 01 June 2000, 04:41 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wall.... Sir

I think you hit the nail right on the head

Richard