Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Protocol

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2000, 12:00 AM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It should also be remembered that waving at Scoobs whilst in another car causes embarresment and confusion and should be avoided at all costs. There are a couple of exceptions, notably Delfinos and westfields with ludricous amounts of power
Old 30 May 2000, 12:02 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

On my trip to-and-from Minehead this weekend I must have waved to at least 10 scoobies, and not one of them reciprocated. Miserable goits.

I must admit, to my shame, that I don't wave to Sport owners. I look for the scoop, and then wave. Elitist ? Snobbish ? Childish ? Guilty on all 3 accounts m'lud.

(I don't think I'm the only one that differentiates either !)

(In my defence there are bucket loads of Sports around my area it seems.. so they're not a novelty !)
Old 30 May 2000, 12:21 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

I gave up waving to Sports as they never wave back and always look bemused.

Also given up waving to the miserable b*stard I see most mornings in a green 4 door turbo coming out of Yeovil as he has never acknowledged me

Still wave at the EVO 6 on the same road
Old 30 May 2000, 12:36 AM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

WAVE, FLASH! how about talk, I did this rally course saturday,I was supposed to be set free in a group N impreza but due to gear box problems it was RS action only, still very enjoyable though.

Out of 8 people taking part there were 2 other scooby drivers (we had all parked next to each other in the car park) present and whilst i exchanged stories of AP brakes and down pipes with the rally instructors over lunch.I didn't manage to get a peep out of these other guys and their girl friends.I was made to feel like Max power man.

They are probally not Scooby Net regulars.

...IS
Old 30 May 2000, 12:44 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Waving sees to be the thing. My suggestion for night time waving is as follows.
1 Pop down to B&Q, pick up some luminous paint
2 Paint your hands (stop at wrists) and wait for it to dry (probably best if you do this during the day so it is dry for those night time excursions, wouldn't want your handies to silp off the wheel when you are not waving).
3 Wave as required

Plan 'B'
(night time only)
1 Do not buy paint
2 Flash your lights (i think this is acceptable in low light situations.

I promise i will wave (or flash my lights) if you do!

Old 30 May 2000, 12:46 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Paul Habgood:
<B>Waving sees to be the thing. My suggestion for night time waving is as follows:
1 Pop down to B&Q, pick up some luminous paint
2 Paint your hands (stop at wrists) and wait for it to dry (probably best if you do this during the day so it is dry for those night time excursions, wouldn't want your handies to silp off the wheel when you are not waving).
3 Wave as required

Plan 'B'
(night time only)
1 Do not buy paint
2 Flash your lights - i think this is acceptable in low light situations.

I promise i will wave (or flash my lights) if you do!

[/quote]

Old 30 May 2000, 12:49 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

At night/dusk. Rather than flashing the oncomer (and blinding them) how about switching to sidelights for a half-second and then back on normal (dipped) beam ?

Safer IMO
Old 30 May 2000, 11:20 AM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Question

I've not been driving a scooby for long, and whilst out at the weekend, I saw another driving towards me. I flashed my lights at him but he waved back.

Is it agreed that we wave rather than flash? If so what do we do at night?

(A sensible answer amongst the chain of innuendoes would be nice.)
Old 30 May 2000, 11:29 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dont think it matters. Its the acknowledgement that counts
Stu
Old 30 May 2000, 11:38 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Dippy.

I do hope you're joking....

Stef.
Old 30 May 2000, 11:52 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Wink

The rules are quite complicated. You should take the time to learn them now so as to promote harmonious road use and avoid accidents.

During Summer months, Monday (except bank holidays - see below), Wednesday and Friday, we wave. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, we flash. Sundays and bank holidays we flash <I>and</I> wave. This is all reversed in Winter, so take care.

Drivers are permitted to lift one finger from the steering wheel instead of waving.

A thumbs-up from an open window is always acceptable, regardless of the day of the week.

Passengers always wave. However, mooning is permitted <I>from passengers only</I> instead of waving.

Why is this not in the FAQ?

I was out and about over the weekend (reddish-blue MY98 between London and Horsham way) and got quite a few waves/flashes, which was nice.
Old 30 May 2000, 01:25 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

In answer to all your questions why not pop down to WH Smith and pick a copy of Scoob-shui, the art of owning a sexy Impreza.

In there you will find a chapter titled
The Recognised Gesticulation Etiquette to Fellow Owners. Sport owners should get a half Nelson wave, followed by a two pronged attack for no response.

I won't delve further, however signed copies are available from Davies, Davies and Son publications priced £19.99 Hardback or £12.00 softback, limited edition scratch and sniff editions are available for £31.99. Call 0891 767689.

Old 30 May 2000, 01:55 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

I think the plot has been lost !!!

Why not just acknowledge how ever you think is best.

Do you own the Green 4 door with gold wheels. driving Sundridge Park to Grove park each morning and in other direction at evening ???

Well smile !!!! I may be walking but I'm still a scooby owner
Old 30 May 2000, 02:02 PM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If you want a wave back, don't drive between reading and Guildford via Bracknell. On one trip I passed no less than seven Scooby’s UK’s, wagons, and japs, and I got one very sad wave back near Guildford. I do this trip once or twice a week and usually see 1 or 2 scoobs but no waves ???

Phill, silver 98 sti
Old 30 May 2000, 02:10 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I usually wave to anything with an impreza badge on it, which might account for the very odd looks I've had from other scooby drivers. I don't flash, mainly as I end up washing the windscreen

If any of you see me and wave and I don't wave back then it might be as I'm shouting at the kids/girlfriend/dog/old duffer in front (delete as applicable)
Old 30 May 2000, 02:13 PM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Buy the book, buy the book.

The good old Jedi Mind Trick
Old 30 May 2000, 03:15 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

I got bored waving at Imprezas and getting blank looks back - I drive a Legacy RS . I know it shouldn't bother me any more , but if all this waving is now "Elitist ? Snobbish ? Childish ?" , I think I'll give up altogether . Yah boo sucks.

Brian
Old 30 May 2000, 04:33 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

Doc,

I must apologise for not waving at you but I have no arms my car is equipped for me to drive this way but I cannot wave , sorry.
Old 30 May 2000, 05:07 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Re not waving from other vehicles, I have waved/flashed scoobies from an FTO with favorable results...

I have also been on the receiving end of a passenger mooning from a supra (don't ask, b1oody rugby player!)... urghhh! I knew supras were rear wheel drive, but this gives new meaning to hanging the ar$e end out...

Moray
Old 30 May 2000, 05:34 PM
SPJ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

In response to the snobs amongst you who don't acknowledge Sport drivers.As a Sport driver I am continually trying to get a response from Turbo owners.The only one I've had so far was from a guy in a 22B.
If he can manage it, what are your excuses?

So ,perhaps he felt sorry for me, but at least he made the effort!

So come on guys.Give us Sport owners a break

All our cars have the same badge on the front, irrespective of what's under the bonnet.

I'd heard that snobbery wasn't much in existence with Scooby owners.I'm begining to think I've been mis-informed!

Old 30 May 2000, 08:33 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Always try to flash any Impreza (Sport et al) that I see, it's just sometimes I'm concentrating on other parts of the road!

As for snobbery, what is the etiquette for when one is passed by a blue 4 door with a Turbo bonnet (scoop & vents), but only a Sport exhaust? Should one still wave? (I did before you ask! )
Old 30 May 2000, 08:35 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

I wave back to sport owners, but gave up waving first as they hardly ever waved back.
mind you they might have been GL's
Old 30 May 2000, 08:48 PM
beaker
Scooby Regular

Red face

I used to flash other imprezas until i flashed an oncoming impreza and a car about five yards in front began to pull out of the side road. nearly ended in tears. i now wave. i have always wondered about what i would have put on in insurance claim.
Old 31 May 2000, 11:45 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

DavidG, did I see you driving in Horsham yesterday evening at about 8:30pm.

Stu Silver STi 4
Old 31 May 2000, 11:53 AM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

No. I was passing through on Sunday, going to Leonardslee gardens (check it out - they have wallabies there ... and it happens to be close to Lockyears, who have a 22B in stock for 35k) but I wasn't around Horsham yesterday.
Old 31 May 2000, 01:18 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

HunterB/Brian

I agree - I feel such a prat waving at Imprezas and getting a blank look back when I'm driving my Legacy GTB

So come on Guys, wave to us Turbo Legacies as well - easy to spot we also have a bonnet scoop, only more sophisticated and subtle

Paul
Old 01 June 2000, 09:49 AM
Cheeky Jim
Scooby Regular

Just another quick thought...On monday afternoon I was driving back down the M1 back from Yorkshire.....Around Leicester way 2 TVR's suddenly appeared off the sliproad and one of them had a bloody great sign across the boot 'www.pistonheads.com', I presume it is the owner of the site, but why not encourage a similar thing on our scoobs?

It would achieve 2 things :

1) Promote the site to none Scoobynet viewers, hopefully increasing the number of visitors and raising brand awareness for both Subaru and Scoobynet.

2) It would enable fellow Scoobynet followers to wave, flash their lights, clap, moon or any other relevant signalling to each other.

What do ya think then???

Obviously, we need a sticker of some description front and rear, so that we can see from head on traffic and from coming up the rear (Ooo er!) and one that is legible to all concerned?

Jim

Old 01 June 2000, 10:52 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

I dont realy want a Sticker on the car.

Maybe a thing on the bottom of the Number Plate ???

But then you would need to be six inches off my bumper to read it, then again the BMW 318I drivers would be able to read it very clearly !!!!!
Old 01 June 2000, 11:00 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

How about having the Scoobynet details painted/tattoed on our hands so it can be seen when we wave?

(perhaps the sticker is a better idea then)]

a subtle one on the number plate sounds good to me
Old 01 June 2000, 07:30 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Cool

How about puting a bright yellow strip along the bottom of the front and rear number plates, easy to see and doesn't really make the car look bad.

By the way, would just one of the many scooby drivers in Aberdeen please wave back , you bunch of miserable bar stewards.

Stuart (P***BSA)

Quick Reply: Protocol