Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Powerstation dyno day results

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2000, 08:22 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The results of today's dyno day at Powerstation are now on the dyno site (http://dyno.scoobynet.co.uk). Graphs will be added across the weekend.

On the whole it was a successful and enjoyable day. A couple of cars had problems which stopped meaningful figures being produced. Particularly worrying was the 22B Type UK with no modifications that started detting around 4,500 rpm.

There are some incomplete (and probably incorrect) details from today's runs. Could owners please let me know the missing car mileages, email addresses, fuel used etc. Thanks.

Paul

[This message has been edited by strong (edited 27-05-2000).]
Old 27 May 2000, 08:29 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

First off, thanks to Shaun for organising it !

I see I lead the UK Turbos based on power-at-wheels

and only 7 lb/ft away from the leader in the torque stakes..don't worry Bob, as soon as I get a downpipe to even things up we'll see...and perhaps have a pop at some of those jap cars

happy with the Link ? For reel
Old 27 May 2000, 10:08 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

See you all had an intereting day, shame I couldnt of brought down the motor. Some interesting results I see. Some questions it raises.

1. Both the STI V's with a couple of thousand pounds worth of mods could only just muster std figures or not in David's case. This leads to.

a) A UK car with similar mods is only 9lbft torque different, and about 38bhp down on an STI.

b) What does a std STI get. You would think that the mods on the two run are adding bhp and lbft. Lee's seems to be 20bhp up on a std car and about 40lbft. Put those numbers to the STI's and you get APPROX 252bhp and 215lbft.

c) Does the Link work well on a UK car, but is not very good on STI's ?. The same being said for exhaust systems.

NOTE: Ive driven Link equiped STI V cars, one infact 48hours ago. They are quicker than a std STI and feel torquier.

2) The Unichip cars seem to also produce inconsistent results.

Harj WRX was 20bhp and 13lbft better than an STI of similar vintage and mods.

3) The Rampod I sold Mr Tang seems to work well.

4) At the wheel figures. Can someone explain. Shawn get 213 at the wheels and that equal 279bhp. David Harries gets 197 and 1bhp less !. Is this a mistake ?

Just a pity there was no std cars run as a baseline.

Jonathan
Old 27 May 2000, 10:31 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Shaun I had a great day.

Well looks like the great company Power Engineering does it again.
The Phase 1 out performs Prodrive Performance and Possom Link in the UK car department.
Was it the Phase 1 or the “No Fear” hat that done the trick?
I usually keep the “No Fear” hat for the Exmoor runs but had to get it out today.
Lee/
We do give the Jap cars a run for there money in the Torque department.

Sh*t stirrer Bob
Old 27 May 2000, 10:58 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

Jonathan, a quick answer to question 4: power at wheel and flywheel figure inconsistences have been evident at Power Engineering's dyno and now at Powerstation so it's nothing new, and isn't a mistake.

Paul
Old 27 May 2000, 11:18 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

I wasnt infering it was common to Powerstation, just asking the question why.

Anyone know ?

Jonathan
Old 27 May 2000, 11:18 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Greay day all round, nice to meet some more of you guys! Well to the done lads at Powerstation.

Happy Harj.....
Old 28 May 2000, 12:43 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks to Shaun for organising it all.

Thanks to Jonathan for selling me his RamPod air inductor!!! Well worth every penny!!

A great time was had by myself and my girlfriend, and it was good to finally meet some of you guys!

So which issue of Redline do I have to get all my friends to buy??

I think I did pretty well only spending about £700 of modifications on the car, and ONLY running NORMAL unleaded fuel!!!

Chuffed or what???

So it looks like Bob's the man to beat, now where can I get the cash for a Possum Link???

Cheers all!
Andy
T8 NGO - Tart, I know!!!
Old 28 May 2000, 12:44 AM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Red face

Lee

How much power do you lose in the change from 100 to 97 ?. Cant believe it can be that much.

Also speaking to Possum STI V owners, they reckon their cars are more powerfull after the remap. Is this the clean car syndrome ?.

What power do you think an STI std produces ?

The P1 is stated at 280ps on Super. This figure was also tested on an engine dyno, not a Rolling Road. Does this mean the P1 is more powerfull in std trim than an STI ?

My own feeling before anyone says anything is that its not the case. However I do believe that the P1 produces 280ps.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 28-05-2000).]
Old 28 May 2000, 12:53 AM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Cool

Wicked day guys!

Cheers to Shaun for getting it all organised. It was nice to meet the "Powerstation" boys for the first time. They really do know their stuff, can't recommend them enough. Not the usual cowboy outfit and a nice set-up down there. As Arnie once said "I'll be back".

Figures for my Scoob were well up on std. (well BHP anyway ) but it was noticeable that she's got a bad smokin habit. The Powerstation boys reckoned that the Turbo seals were allowing oil to enter the Turbo thereby producing the smokescreen. Into the dealer on Tues. for Warantee work me thinks.

Well impressed with the Unichipped cars! Not so much the Possumed Cars!

Harj - Good figures,well sorted car!
Moray - Anti-Lag is totally hatstand!
Jase - HOW LOUD!
IanG - MY00 + Unichip = Nuff said!

Catch up with ya soon.
Cheers
Chris

Old 28 May 2000, 10:52 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Talking

<g> But Bob, you can't claim a phase1 victory cos the test cases are different !

You run 17.6psi, I ran 16.9psi (ok ok I hear you <g> not much difference)

but I still have an orrible downpipe with a huge lump blocking it

plus the "no fear" clothing would have gained you at least 10bhp

wait till I get a downpipe, we'll see !

Jonathon, one can only wonder what the 'ell is going on with the STi's. Frankly I would bet the owners couldnt care less. All the owners I've spoken to or read posts from are chuffed to bits with the performance.

One consideration though..if an STI V is designed to produce 276bhp on 100RON, then the remapping for lower grade fuel will lose a chunk of power which is offset against the extra performance of a good map ?
So the cars produce the same power, but a lot more safely ?

Whereas UK cars are designed from the outset for naff fuel, so its all gains, gains gains
Old 28 May 2000, 01:53 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Jonathon,

The solution to all your worries would to take your P1 over the Powerstation and run it there... this will, of course, prove that prodrives figures are correct and that the P1 outperforms standard STI version 5 cars on a rolling road. Please let us know how the run goes.

Moray
Old 28 May 2000, 02:00 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Moray

The P1 has already been on the Rollers. It does produce very similar results to an STI. Although it was PE's not PS. PS has not had a std STI on their yet, so there is no point as there can be no comparison. All the cars yesterday had ECU/ boost changes.

FYI I got 288bhp and 248lbft. Std except for SS backbox. Fuel mix of Super and Unleaded.
Which is spot on with other cars on the Rollers.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Jonathan (edited 28-05-2000).]
Old 28 May 2000, 03:17 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Cool

Can whoever borrowed the extra 15 lbs/ft of torque that I was expecting to see please give it back please the joke is over.

Powerstation...nice place...nice folks...

Well done Mr. Fennings for making an interesting day.

My car obtained 225 BHP thats 10 over standard. And only 208 lbs.ft Torque...which is down on standard (I think).

This equates to each additional BHP costing approx £65 quid...bargin (Cost based upon Scoobysport downpipe, Scoobysport Mid pipe, Scoobysport back box and Pipercross induction kit).

I was glad to get an idea of what my 2nd scooby is producing.

Looks like a chip is called for

...now...I'm off to well lane to see if they know where my torque went to (only joking)

See you all soon

Ian
Old 28 May 2000, 03:23 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Jonathan/
As you had
288 bhp & 248lbs/ft at PE.
I had at PE
283 bhp and 276 lbs/ft
But at PS
246 bhp and 254 lbs/ft
This should give your P1 about
248 bhp and about the same torque as a std uk car.
Make of it what you want.
Sh*t stirring Bob does it again.

[This message has been edited by bob (edited 28-05-2000).]
Old 28 May 2000, 03:34 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well that was a blast, can't decide if the drive down was worth it more than seeing Morray's ALS

As expected I got lower figures than I did on PE's rollers a year ago (235 brake down to 225 and 226lb/ft to 209), comparing the curves, the brake is nigh on the same shape but the torque is very different... no where near as linear as it was , although it is held as long as before, all I've done is fit a de-cat centre section since last time

Ah well, nearly time for more mods, downpipe soon, possum next...

Tim

PS Andy T sorry again...it seems the only real performance mod needed is a hard driven STi II up your chuff
Old 28 May 2000, 03:43 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Cool

Seeing as Ian's worked out the cost of his gains...assuming a std MY98 UK produces 208 brake, I've speant the grand total of 350 quid on performance mods (ITG panel filter Milltek backbox and centre section) got 225 brake on PS rollers so grand total of £20.60 per BHP gained...

I thank you

[This message has been edited by Tim W (edited 28-05-2000).]
Old 28 May 2000, 03:58 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was considering buying a Link ECU for my STI , but after the last two times that I`ve seen a link perform I don`t really think that I want a drop in power Both version 5`s were down on power compared to my version 2 ????? only they had the edge on torque (but not by much!!!!)and the other version 2 that was there had a PE phase one and his figures were also lower than mine ??? so much for spending thoudands on ECU`s and bigger turbos I think that I will stick to the stock ECU .
Cheers Dave (been taking lessons form **** stirring Bob)

[This message has been edited by Big Bear (edited 28-05-2000).]
Old 28 May 2000, 04:04 PM
john parker
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Shaun
Thanks for the last minute invite
I was very pleased with the result 238 was above my expectations, personaly I think Rich bottled it on the run ! if he had hung in there a little longer I'm confident a peak figure of a couple more bhp was achievable as flywheel power was still climbing, still, not bad for the wifes shopping car.
The only dificulty now is dealing with the maintain your warantee / tune the b**ls off it conundrum. hmmm?
Once again thanks for the invite (and for parking your ar*e on the back to stop the wheel spin).
john.
Old 28 May 2000, 04:05 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Lee/
As igratton got 10 bhp over std with an induction kit and a complete Scoobysport exhaust which must cost about a grand.
and I get the same 10 bhp with just a "No Fear" hat perhaps Pete would like to start selling "No Fear" hats at 50% less than his exhausts. How much would you spend to get an extra 10 BHP.
Bob
Old 28 May 2000, 04:15 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

errr, Dave, what about Pat's car?

Link...

STi II...

More power than yours...

And he'd recently accidentaly erased his map so wasn't running at its best...

Tim

PS now who's stiring
Old 28 May 2000, 04:43 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Yes Dave what about Pat's car.
He did have 2 BHP more than yours.
So for lets see about £600 maybe £700 you can have an extra 2 bhp or maybe a squirt of octane booster might give the same thing.
Sh*t Stirring Bob at his best.
Old 28 May 2000, 05:12 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Shaun for the organsation and the PS guys who seem to be having a lot of fun as well.

Great entertain guys, well worth the 1 hour trip around cheltenham, man that place is confusing . Nice to put names to faces. Great selection of cars and mods. (Moray that car is EVIL ).

I didnt run in case it was less than 200bhp but thanks for the offer Harj much appreciated.

cheers

chrisp

Old 28 May 2000, 06:43 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Bob

Look at
Old 28 May 2000, 07:09 PM
Tim W
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bob 'n Dave,

Sod octane booster...bung in some methanol...that's should make things interesting

Moray's car would have nothing on you then
Old 28 May 2000, 07:38 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Tim/
Now you are getting the idea, Why pay thousands for tuning mods and only get 2 or 3 BHP when a drop of methenol will do the trick. Especially as I work for a drug Company and have a 60,000 lt tank full of the stuff.
Dave could spend a few grand on his car but for what as you have seen most sti cars were lucky to get there STD power figs even with downpipes, induction kits & ECU gadgets. If you do want to tune it looks like the way to go is with the Unichip, The Unichip cars done quite well but perhaps thats because they cannot play with the settings.
Bob
Old 29 May 2000, 01:48 AM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Tim W
yes so what about Pat`s car , I spent about 50 - 100 pounds to get my 278 bhp how much did all the others spend to get their few BHP ????? I bought my STI 2 with everything except the piper x indiction kit and b4 that I saw 279 bhp on powerstations rollers(and I have the graph to prove it) , so I could have saved that money, and spent it on beer , which I would have much rather have done !!!!
As I have said I have been taking lessons from **** stirring Bob !!!!!
Cheers Dave
At the end of the day the figures say it all!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Big Bear (edited 29-05-2000).]
Old 29 May 2000, 09:04 AM
robman
Scooby Regular

Ahhh, methanol - the stuff of champions. We used to run the sand and grass track bikes on it. Apart from its tendency to corrode carbs, it is awesome.

r
Old 29 May 2000, 10:46 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Bear, at the end of the day the figures do not say it all. its very easy to produce a map that would give blinding results on rollers but be dangerous on the roads.

rolling roads cannot measure throttle response, snap load, lift off, transition etc. its just a day out for some fun and a long bbs thread afterwards

Sam, you cant compare PS to PE rollers, neither is right or wrong, you can't even compare results on the same rollers on different days. they are only good for before/after comparisons or a day out.
Old 29 May 2000, 12:41 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Question

very interesting dyno indeed !!so which one is correct PE OR PS. or are they both on the extreme side of the scale???.

the other thing does Harj's WRX have standard map sensor? i thought the map sensors on the wrx and MY UK are the same and the max boost you can run on them is 20psi?
cheers
sam

Quick Reply: Powerstation dyno day results