Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The best auto care product

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2003, 11:06 AM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the best auto care products :The zymol or swissol range, halford products or something else.
I want to spend some money on good care products.
Post here some results and experiences with your "wonder-waxes..."

Creepy
Old 31 December 2003, 11:21 AM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Zymol and Swissol have a lot of fans on Scoobynet, particularly the latter. I've not found anything particularly good at Halfords. I use Swissol myself, and am very happy with it.
Old 31 December 2003, 11:22 AM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

I know that swissol or zymol are TOP of the range products (doubt if I will find anything better), but here in Belgium, it is not available.
But I'm in the UK end of Januari (Slough) so maybe I can collect some of those fine products...

Creepy
Old 31 December 2003, 11:24 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Meguiars stuff is very good too. I still rate the original Wax Wizard stuff as the best and still have a fair bit left after 3.5 years so its was good value too.

AllanB
Old 31 December 2003, 11:51 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

If you're not careful, you're going to set off TelBoy's Swissol Alarm.
Old 31 December 2003, 12:10 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

I use the car plan stuff and it seems OK
Old 31 December 2003, 12:33 PM
SeanJames
Scooby Regular

Did use Autoglym on my concours winnining show car (no my scoob I hasten to add)then tried maguiars which I dont rate as the class gold polish has to much cut in it.Zymol is what I use at the mo and is very good,but I am going to try the more expensive option !!
Maguiars polishing pads are well worth getting though

Trending Topics

Old 31 December 2003, 02:22 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Anybody that has a contact adress for that famous wax wizard, he sure knows his job and can answer some of my questions.
He can give me more info than if mail directly to swissol or zymol I think.

Creepy
Old 31 December 2003, 02:33 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

There is a distinct difference between polishes and glazes.
A polish does what it says, it polishes the surface of the material (whatever it may be) that means it affects the surface of the cars paint, the finer the polish the smaller the scratches and the shinier the surface looks. Its exactly like different levels of wet and dry. The stuff in a polish that dries white is clay, this is what bulks the polish up, the finer the clay the less agressive it is on the paint surface. These also contain small amounts of waxes or silicon resins etc to try and add some surface protection.
But if you have a good paint finish then use a glaze and not a polish. A glaze is more like getting a shine on some thing by adding a coat to the surface and not affecting the surface finish (like varnishing).
So dont scratch the paint on your car add a good quality glaze. They are a pain for the first coat as you have to clean the surface first, but once thats done its quick and easy. Use Zymol or Swissol. They are very similar, I use Zymol titanium its just fabulous. They may seem expensive but not in relation to what your pride and joy cost. I struggle to understand some one who spends upwards of 20 grand on a motor and then wont spend 50 quid looking after it. Ah well.

But glaze it dont polish it .............
STEVE...............

[Edited by r32 - 12/31/2003 2:35:09 PM]
Old 31 December 2003, 02:33 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

is auto glym not good then? i thought thats what all the body shops and valeters used??
Old 31 December 2003, 02:37 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

r32 can you give me a link to buy the actual stuff you are on about ?when i go into shop there are that many different brands and descriptions never know what to get, what store sells the products you mentioned?

thanks
Old 31 December 2003, 02:55 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

http://www.scweurope.com/

This is the website for Zymol. It is difficult to find on the highstreet, some Halfords do the cleaner polish but thats not a glaze. Buy on the internet they are quick and efficient. Buy the Titanium starter kit, it has all you need to get you going. The glaze lasts ages and ages.

Autoglym is a good polish and less abrasive than most. If a detailer is cleaning your motor he will almost certainly use a polish as its quick and effective. But if you have good paintwork then add a glaze. It is possible to cut back your paint with an ordinary polish then clean and add the glaze after.

If you ever try a glaxe it is unlikely that you will ever use a polish again (other than to get rid of a scratch). I know a guy who wins concours with his bright red Carrera 4 and he would not use polish on it. Its a 93 and still looks better than brand new.
My WRC blue STI is used every day and it just glows. Its easy to clean and the dirt doesnt really stick.

Careful with cleaning though. People spend a half a day adding polish then wash it all off the next weekend. Zymol also do car shampoo that does not take the glaze (or polishes) off. You only need a thimble full in a 2 gallon bucket.

The temptation for washing is to add a bit more that speicified, three cap fulls instead of two cause its dirty! Always use less not more. Your shine will last much longer that way.

Sorry for the rambling but bit of a car cleaning anarak.....!
By the way you apply this stuff by hand not with a cloth, and you dont polish it off you wipe it off and the paint shines like magic ......

[Edited by r32 - 12/31/2003 2:56:05 PM]
Old 31 December 2003, 03:45 PM
SeanJames
Scooby Regular

"Sorry for the rambling but bit of a car cleaning anarak.....!"
Not at all.... I found it very intresting so Zymol or Swissol which one would you say ? I must admit I use the Zymol polish from halfords...
Old 31 December 2003, 03:53 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

If you look on the bottle it says cleaner polish, this is a very mildly abrasive polish not a glaze. Its good for getting rid of mild scratches (smells nice too!)

I have not used Swissol so cant comment but I understand that it is very similar to Zymol. I think the Zymol may be slightly less expensive.
I use Zymol Titanium, I think this is a most amazing product and would not use anything else now .....

The starter kit is the place to kick off. You need the HD cleanse to clean your car first and the special micro fibre cloths to remove the glaze, ordinary cloths will not work. Everything you need is in the kit.
No need to do the whole car in one go, do a couple of panels at a time if you like.
Let me know if you decide to go for it.
STEVE.................

[Edited by r32 - 12/31/2003 3:54:00 PM]
Old 31 December 2003, 04:00 PM
SeanJames
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Steve,I think I will go for the Zymol
Old 31 December 2003, 04:06 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey I live near Leicester too ............ small world.
STEVE..........
Old 31 December 2003, 04:45 PM
SeanJames
Scooby Regular

What Scoob have you got ? may have seen you about...(sorry for going off thread)
Old 31 December 2003, 04:57 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Zymol site

Might try that as I already rate the normal Zymol shampo from Halfords.

Steve
Old 31 December 2003, 07:27 PM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've never tried Zymol but really rate Swissol products Sad I know, but the pleasant smell is addictive & the lack of strong solvents welcome. Having said that I cannot find a glass cleaner better than Auto Glym

callum
Old 31 December 2003, 08:44 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

I've used Zymol since I first got my scoob (4 years ago) - and despite all the ribbing I get about how clean I keep the car, I still get appreciative comments from them too!! Its easy when a bucket of water is all you need to wash it, and the occasional shampoo wash as a special treat

Matthew
Old 31 December 2003, 09:14 PM
buff
Scooby Regular

i've tried autoglm,mer,zymol,simple solutions and others but for me its got to be Meguiars...superb
Old 31 December 2003, 10:24 PM
DPat
Scooby Regular

So then, what is a polymer sealant, I assume it is a glaze, but I'd just like the expert's view please

Happy NY (just off out)

DPat
Old 01 January 2004, 12:52 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

As far as I'm aware, a polymer sealant is the same as a glaze. Autoglym do a very good one at reasonable cost- dead esy to use, excellent results (if your paint is clean and in good nick) and no white residue.
Old 03 January 2004, 02:27 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

i have used swissol (once) and some german stuff called A1 by dr ok or something like that.

Swissol was great goes on a treat, but is bloddy exspensive, the a1 stuff is a little more work to apply but gives equally impressive results.

full set of a1 cleaning syuff cost about £30 and will last about 2 years.

http://www.iauto.co.uk
Old 11 January 2004, 10:25 AM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Still no reply from MArk Underwood, whats wrong then ?

Creepy
Old 11 January 2004, 10:42 AM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

Ive always used autoglym resin polish and its fab!
But i must admit i'm really tempted to try swissol or zymol when ive ran out just through some of the comments on it here
Old 11 January 2004, 12:41 PM
Alex Creasey
Scooby Regular

Smile

A polymer sealant is something different again, it's it's own type of product. It is very confusing as different companies call their products different things...Just as an example; What one company call a polish may be a wax, and what another company calla glaze may actually be more of a polish, so make sure you read what the product does rather than relying on the name the company have given it.
r32 has described what a few of the main products, like polish, glazes do but , it can also be quite confusing as to what order things go in... generally speaking...

- wash (and clay if required)
- polish
- glaze
- wax

Or if using a polymer sealant....

- wash (and clay if required)
- some kind of synthetic polish that doesn't contain oils that will stop the sealant bonding to the paint.
- polymer sealant
Some people find that they don't get the 'pop' with a sealant and even go as far using a carnauba wax on top of the sealant.

As for whats best....I'm sure I'll be shot down in flames for saying this but being the most expensive doesn't make it the best.... try a few different things out and see what looks best on your paint, even the colour of the paint can make a difference as to what gives the best look.

Cheers .

[Edited by Alex Creasey - 1/11/2004 12:47:03 PM]
Old 11 January 2004, 02:10 PM
markbluemica
Scooby Regular

im just using the auto glym extra gloss i have just fimished buffing and the heavens have opened up must admit looks very good easy to go on and then you leave for a hour a its a right barstewed to get off but the finished result looks very good
Old 11 January 2004, 02:53 PM
markbluemica
Scooby Regular

some photos of finished product its getting a bit dark though

well impressed