ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY03 WRX stolen and recovered on Wirral

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2004, 03:17 PM
wrx03ppp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

Keys taken after thieves broke in through kitchen window whilst I was asleep. Didn't hear a thing as they just drove it away off the drive. Scary wondering what they would have done if they couldn't find the keys.

Finally noticed the big gap where the car should have been and called RAC trackstar at around 9:00 am who phoned back 10 mins later having located the car in the Woolton area of Liverpool.

The police arrived promptly arranged for the car to be 'lifted' to a nearby garage where it was checked for fingerprints before I drove it over to Holdcroft's with my spare keys to get the alarm and key code changed.

The car is unmarked and only seems to have done 30 or so miles in the 3 hours it was missing. Only my Ray-Bans have gone AWOL: the Nikon camera, lenses, Road Angel, CDs etc. are all present and correct. In addition they seem to have taken a tub of Sainsburys three bean salad from the fridge which was later found in the car.

Absolutely cannot fault Trackstar service on this one. But very strange how the car was taken so neatly and yet abandoned after such a short time. Doesn't seem like joy riders or professionals either.

Good start to the New Year? Being burgled and your house invaded for your car? No. Getting it back within 3 hours of noticing it was missing? A bloody miracle.

As my friend said, you feel violated if someone has been in your house. I honestly replied, "sod my bin of a house, the b£$%^&ds have been in my car".
Old 02 January 2004, 03:21 PM
Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

bad news mate but least ya got it back..
Old 02 January 2004, 03:38 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Talking

Was it left in a car park or back street?There seems to be a thing about dumping stolen cars where they wont draw attention for a couple of days to see if Tracker is running.

If still there & not re-nicked in the meantime then the perp comes back for it.Or comes back when the "team" is ready for the trip to the bank.

Would have been nice to camera it up & leave it to see who came back for it.Catch them in the act.

Glad you got it back unscathed.
Old 02 January 2004, 03:40 PM
micaAB
Scooby Regular

apparently the theiving b'stards will leave a freshly stolen car out in the open and available for the police to collect......

if it's retreived then it's "trakkered" and unlikely they would have got away with it

if it's still there in 2 days time then it should be safe to get it and pillage it for all it's worth.

worthy tale, i may now invest in a trakker for my 03wrx (or a strong kitchen window lock).

Andy.
Old 02 January 2004, 04:11 PM
wrx03ppp
Scooby Regular

Hi

It was found neatly parked and locked in a residential area where it wouldn't have attracted too much attention I guess.

So maybe thie explanation is indeed that they were leaving it to check whether it had a tracker fitted.

Apparently a stake out is risky as the thieves obviously have the keys and a nasty pursuit could result. Didn't fancy watching my motor on one of those police stop TV programmes!

Maybe one of these Blackjax alarms is needed so that the car stops after being driven a short distance. I really don't fancy hiding my keys so that I'm woken in the night by some w@nk£r with a baseball bat wondering where I put them.
Old 02 January 2004, 04:20 PM
Wilster
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

How did they break in your kitchen window ? Did they smash it or force the frame ? Timber, PVC or metal ?

Wilster
Old 02 January 2004, 07:02 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

I had my front door kicked in at 1930 on a friday night when I was out when I had my A4 cab. The house alarm was going off but I had my keys with me so all they took was the TV and my laptop. A week later they did the same to my neighbour(R32 Golf) as he was going to bed they threatened him and took his car. Track star got his car back within two hours. I now leave my keys for the theives at the top of the stairs (I dont want to be woken up) and let trackstar be the hero, thats what we pay for
Old 02 January 2004, 09:04 PM
subarujimmy
Scooby Regular

What area of manchester are you from problemchild?
Old 02 January 2004, 09:19 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Talking

Remember seeing a guy at TRAX with a phone operated gadget that you call up a specific number and it immobilises the car, where ever it is. I tried to get hold of his details but no one knew them. Seems like a good piece of kit to me ........
Glad you have your car back, will you keep it?
STEVE.........
Old 02 January 2004, 09:36 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

All very disturbing, glad you got it back though!

In contrast to yourself my keys are kept in the bedroom along with me (an extremely light sleeper) and an assortment of potentially dangerous household objects.

If any scum is reading this: just thought you should know that an unpleasant surprise may lie in wait next time you break into someones house - let this be a deterrent (because the law sure as hell isn't [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img])
Old 02 January 2004, 09:42 PM
smigga46
Scooby Regular

Glad you got your car back m8 they were probably waiting on the tracker as others have said, my mate recovers cars and holds them for police in Liverpool and he agrees.He has been threatened in his garage at night (24hr recovery) when he is holding cars for forensic or he has picked up high performance stolen cars.I live on the other side of Merseyide and keep my keys in safe at night but I dont own a gun so am thinking about leaving keys in obvious place tho not behind door.Sad isnt it.Chin up.
Old 02 January 2004, 09:45 PM
PROBLEMCHILD75
Scooby Regular

Im in sale. and dont worry I also have plenty of weapons some leagle and some not but when your just woken up and some scum bag has been asleep all day and ready your not so they can take the keys and I will take pot shots from the window thanks
Old 05 January 2004, 08:41 AM
wrx03ppp
Scooby Regular

Hi

The kitchen window was one of those cheapo uPVC jobbies the handle was down but the locking button wasn't pushed in. I still can't imagine how they opened it as there's no visible damage. I suppose they would have got in some way or other, maybe I'll need to fit an alarm to the house to protect the keys to the car.

I've used the car all weekend and I can find no damage at all, it's really like they just drove over to Woolton and parked it. I'm booked in to have the Prodrive spring kit fitted soon so I'll get the dealer to give it a check over. As it stands I haven't had cause to contact the house or car insurance people and am reluctant to do so.

The only thing that worries me now is that I imagine the vehicle is listed as stolen/recovered (it was only missing for 2 or 3 hours) and that this may affect the warranty and resale. Anybody know if this is likely to be the case?
Old 05 January 2004, 09:02 AM
JockyTT
Scooby Regular

Glad you got it back mate. Shows the value of a tracker.

On the window front, my father was burgled and as a result got a security bloke in shortly after. This guy showed my father how uPVC frames can be flexed with a bit of pushing so that the locking bolts just pop out with no visible damage. Just a thought.

Steve
Old 05 January 2004, 09:49 AM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

wrx

I would assume that if you don't tell your insurance then it would not be listed as stolen / recovered.

I may be wrong but I would think that is how it works.
Old 05 January 2004, 09:51 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

You would be horrified to know how quickly you can get in to uPVC windows with a blowlamp to warm the plastic up. We are talking a few seconds....

Thats why a good mate who's family own a large window company is fitting mine. He is a security expert for the company
Old 05 January 2004, 10:34 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Wrx03ppp,

Mine went missing from the Wirral a few month back and it's still at Holdcroft, must the same little tw*t, no makrs on the double glazzing where they got in, mine was found in Kirby, well and truly f*cked. Two other people also from the wirral had an Evo 6 and a Scoob stolen, also found in Liverpool, both well and truly f*cked, glad yours is OK. The deales a making a few quid out of these guys.

Leigh
Old 05 January 2004, 11:06 AM
wrx03ppp
Scooby Regular

Streuth!

Seems like I was lucky and there was I thinking the Wirral was relatively quiet, just so glad the tracker worked. Think I'm going to alarm the house PDQ as these PVC windows seem to be a liability.

Cheers

Sean
Old 05 January 2004, 11:14 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest mate where do you live and work, just seems to be a bit of a pattern regarding me and the two others.

I live in Greasby and work on the A41 in Eastham

Cheers

Leigh

Old 05 January 2004, 11:35 AM
wrx03ppp
Scooby Regular

Hi Leigh

I live just up the road from you in Heswall and work in Birkenhead.

Sean
Old 05 January 2004, 11:42 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate,

The Evo and other Scoob both got parked at work in Port Sunlight, one lives in Heswall the other in Newton. Got to be the same scum.

You dont use the total fitness gym in Prenton do you?

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 05 January 2004, 11:49 AM
YOUNG GED
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
I'm also on the wirral as is my old man and we both have classic style scoobs.I thought we'd be ok over here but it looks like the scum is spreading.
LeighJ is yours a green classic with gold wheels,if so I see yours alot parked up.
I get to hear all the horror stories as my brother is a copper in Liverpool,wish I didn't sometimes as it puts you right off having a nice motor.

Stay safe

Chris
Old 05 January 2004, 11:55 AM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Ged,

Thats mine, well it was, well it still is technically, it's in a bad way, all sorts wrong with it, it might get written off later today. And your right, it's put me right off having a nice motor.

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 05 January 2004, 12:09 PM
mattdoyle
Scooby Regular

Location: From Outback 2 classic wagon 2 newage wagon 2 Legy TT 2 classic 2 newage STi
Sean

Mine was the other scoob that 'went over' to liverpool.
I also live in heswall(top of whitehouse), the law told me that two crews of liverpool 'lads' have been working over the heswall/barnston/gayton area over the last few months, just cruising thruout the night and spotting nice cars. Try the hook and cane if not go straight in.
I was 'lucky' as I was on holiday went they came into mine, like an idiot I had hid the keys, so they ransacked the house looking for them.

Glad you got yours back in one piece, up the security on your home but leave the keys where they can find them.

see the latest on my sorry saga on the insurance board.

regards
Matt
Old 05 January 2004, 12:09 PM
YOUNG GED
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear that M8

It's all getting a bit close to home.I'll give the oldman a heads up.
I'd be well pissed if mine went but I think his feelings are its a lump of metal and if it goes it goes and it can always be replaced.
Did yours go from your house or work?
Old 05 January 2004, 12:31 PM
wrx03ppp
Scooby Regular

Hi Leigh

No, I don't use total fatness (used to go to Physical in Heswall), but been thinking about joining though. Any good?

It does seems like there has been a bit of a blitz lately and I'm really sorry about what's happened to yours and Matts cars. My house is such a bin though, if they'd ransacked it would probably be an improvement. A friend suggested that the scum had left the car un-molested because they felt sorry that someone would live under those conditions.

But give up decent cars? Well, someone stole my Mum's 1978 Fiesta Ghia two or three years ago and my mate's sister just lost a Ford Ka. Nothing's safe. I suppose there just comes a point where you lose interest or can't afford the insurance any more.

On the plus side the CSI girls over in Liverpool were rather nice.

Sean
Old 05 January 2004, 12:57 PM
LeighJ
Scooby Regular

Wrx,

Yeah the total fitness is very good, not much totty though. Why not join and I'll clean "cough" your car while you train!! I'm not sure what I'm gettin next, can't be a scoob tho as the g/f would off if I got another and I kinda like her around, plus I'm a **** cook.

If you see some nutter waving from a non scoob, it'll probably be me reminiscing.

Cheers,

Leigh
Old 05 January 2004, 02:47 PM
wrx03ppp
Scooby Regular

Not much totty? Probably a good thing 'cos I get fed up of all the girls letching when I'm trying to work out. Come to think of it, there isn't much totty on the Wirral as far as I can see.

See you either on the roads or on the tread-mill.

Cheers

Sean
Old 22 January 2004, 12:57 PM
wrx03ppp
Scooby Regular

A quick footnote

Just had a visit from Liverpool Police to take a statement and the Wirral has indeed been the target of a comprehensive blitz by a particular group of car thieves. Non-trackered cars have been disappearing fast and it's not just scoobs. Be careful out there...

Old 22 January 2004, 01:54 PM
Deako1
Scooby Regular

I can confirm the above....

I'm a response cop in Toxteth, Liverpool, and a couple of days ago we recovered a trackered M5 ((W reg) which had been taken from the Wirral.
Car was in perfect order and locked, but the little tw@ts had disappeared before the chopper could get a fix on them

One particular team of ***** (scum who killed the poor bloke at Liverpool airport) are in custody, but obviously others are operating out there.

Bear in mind that they always target the nicer areas with more money, and better cars, especially as decent people tend to be less likely to expect visits from the great unwashed.

Its well worth alarming your house, and being generally aware of any cars full of scallies cruising the local area, if you see these types, ring 999 and tell the operator that they are actually trying to break into vehicles in your road and that you can see them...Merseyside Police will usually have a patrol to you within a few minutes in these circs

The last I heard, they were only getting around £200 per car...they make me sick.

Quick Reply: MY03 WRX stolen and recovered on Wirral