ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Speedo Converter Thingy

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2000, 11:33 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, the Wagon is still in KPH as I've been waiting for over a month for the importer to send me a speedo reduction gearing 'thing' the delay is apparently due to his suppliers letting him down. Anyway, after phone call today he said that he popped it in the post to me last night, so I should have it real soon.

However, if it does not turn up by this time next week (I'm being generous as it's another Bank Holiday weekend) I will be taking things into my own hands, with a bit of help from you lot.

What I want to know is:

What part(s) do I need and where can I get it/them from (SS, PE, GGR, etc...) and how much does it cost.

I'm just after the coverter thing as I'm going to get the odometer converted to miles, and thus don't want new instrument binnacle or stick on coverters as I quite like the idea of having 180 mph on the speedo!!!

Oh, it's a MY94 WRX Wagon, which I should have mentioned as I know later cars have digital odometers.

Old 26 May 2000, 11:42 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Marcus

Please call me on 01268 590085, we have the units in stock and can fit for you. You do keep the original fascia, reading 180 mph.

Pete
Old 26 May 2000, 01:05 PM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Or send the speedo and cable to Speedy Cables 0171 226 9228 (is that 0207 or 8 nowadays).

£99 all in for cable mod, gearing and speedo face done (using original and its spot on too, never tell it's been changed)
Old 26 May 2000, 03:04 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Pete Croney:
Thanks. I'll give you call next week if the item does not turn up.

Showtime:
hmm, like the idea, but I need to drive the car, so taking the speedo out might make driving a bit tricky
Old 06 June 2000, 12:49 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

An update for you.

Got the part on Saturday and have now had it fitted, so I'm in MPH land now!

My only problem is getting used to the fact that the speedo needle seems to move to slow well, only if you've not got your foot welded to the floor

I'm a very happy chappy!
Old 06 June 2000, 03:28 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

I am a bit concerned with the way the car i have at the moment is de limited, its obviuosly an electronic device because the odometer is clocking up in KM, the speedo face is changed to read in MPH but finishes at 110 mph/185kph, the needle goes off the clock so the car is exceeding 112MPH there is a bill from Global Auto Sport for the fitting of the delimiter, I`d feel happier with a mechanical device, can it be changed?
Old 06 June 2000, 04:21 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Moz:
hmm, interesting. The mechanical device is basically a gearing, which due to the way it works removes the speed limit, plus means that KM's are translated into M's,

From what I'm aware of, there are two delimiters, a mech one for scoobs with analogue odometers and a electronic one for scoobs with digital odometers - which is what you have(?)

No doubt others, more technically minded than me can offer better advice on this. But I would assume that you can't have an electronic delimiter and mechanical KM to M changeover.
Old 06 June 2000, 04:32 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

MMMMMMmm Interesting
I have a 93 WRX, still limited but the supplier removed the KPH face and put the MPH face on, distance traved is still in KPH.
Which does not bother me, but the limiter I do want removed, basicaly I get to 112 MPH and the car just cuts out then when the speed drops [111 foot still planted on the floor] full power is back with a big bang and the gear stick moves, Does this mean I can or can NOT get the limiter removed ?? If so what do I need ??
Old 06 June 2000, 04:43 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I've got a MY93, the speedo has been change to re in mile (0-112) and the trip is still in KPH.
The engine is MY97/8 and the ECU has been altered as it revs to 8000. The limiter has been removed as in top gear 100mph arrives at 4000rpm. The car still pull strong after the needle has stopped moving. (All of this on a private strip of cource) I have seen 6000rpm on one occasion.
I beleive that the limiter is purely a pressure switch that is activated when the needle hits it.
Can anyone confirm ?
Old 06 June 2000, 04:47 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

The car is a 95 wrx and the odometer is not digital but the car is definately clocking up distance in km, however ,the car is not limited and the needle will sit off the clock at 112 mph and keep accelerating and increasing speed.
Old 06 June 2000, 05:45 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Moz

The pre 97 cars use the cable delimiter.

It reduces the cable revolutions by 1.6 so the original speedo reads 180mph.

The odo reads in miles from the date of conversion and you get a certificate stating the reading at installation and how to work out the miles covered since new. Reputable companies will NOT fiddle with the odo to show miles covered since new.

The limiter is still there, but becomes a 180mph limit, which shouldn't be a problem

Units in stock.

Old 06 June 2000, 07:05 PM
Moz
Scooby Regular

Pete,
The point I was trying to make is that the odo is clocking up in KM, I know this because its 22 miles to Warwick from my house, i`ve done it a thousand times, I set the trip odo to 0 and made that same journey, the trip read 34.I also know that the top speed is not limited because the needle goes off the scale at 112 mph but speed is still increasing, therefore the delimiter must be some sort of device which is stopping the ecu shutting down the fuel and not a cable gearing device, this is the reason i`m not happy with the device that is fitted and would rather have a more conventional type.