Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anyone been caught for Reg. Plate spacing?

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2004, 10:14 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've just got a Scooby plate but was interested to see if anyone has messed about a bit with the spacings of the letters/numbers. ie:

S600 BEY

spacings changed to:

S600BEY

(Sorry about using your reg if this is yours, i'm only using it as an example)

If you've changed yours, have you ever been pulled?

Is it something that the plod go hunting for?

Cheers in advance1

Pete
Old 29 January 2004, 10:17 AM
Luke C
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got in a bit of trouble years ago on my old astra GSI. My plate is A 233 but it was on as A233. I was made to change it.........
Old 29 January 2004, 10:29 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I know a few people who have, and the DVLA have the right to revoke a plate as well.
Old 29 January 2004, 10:33 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Is it common though. Spose it would be interesting to find out how many have done it and had no problems?
Old 29 January 2004, 10:36 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

With the useage of ANPR technology, to check tax discs etc, there have been more instances of people getting fined, and a defect rectification notice.
Old 29 January 2004, 10:42 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Buzzer- Don't even bother.

There are still vehicles going around with illegally spaced number plates but it's only a matter of time before they all get stopped and told to change them.

The thing is, if you are lucky you'll get a 7 day rectification notice and nothing more.

If you are'nt lucky you'll get a fine first pull.

Old 29 January 2004, 10:48 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

makes u laugh laff at the irony.

DVLA biggest earner is the "cherished numberplates" to make personal names etc but they make it illegal to mess around with the spacing!!!
Old 29 January 2004, 11:21 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

rb5- Agree, but the problem is some of the interpretations are utter shíte and can't be read from 5 yards let alone from the revenue scameras, which in turn spoils it for those that can easily be read and are often more memorable.
Old 29 January 2004, 11:27 AM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Talking

have had S600BYC exactly as shown on my my99 for 2 years and 1 year almost on my my03 sti and never once been pulled (touch wood!)and I'm a youngish bloke for plod to take an interest in (24)
Old 29 January 2004, 11:33 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Sandycam

Thats great mate coz i've just bought S600 BHY and i wanted to close the 0 and B together to make S600BHY.

Still not sure what to do about getting them made that way though. Its around £30.00 a set so i'm in two minds whether to get 2 sets made just in case but if what Ian says is true, you dont get any "second chances"
Old 29 January 2004, 11:35 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Seriously dont bother with getting them misspaced, just get a set of plates made up to BS1645AU specification and you wont ever have any problems, and wont run the risk of a fine, or even having to have your car on a Q plate.

Ian
Old 29 January 2004, 11:36 AM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I found that a lot of local max power types were getting pulled due to the fonts, sizing etc, so stuck to plain 3d letters only, no flags, logos etc, might be the difference?
Old 29 January 2004, 11:43 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Dont know if this works?

Clicky

...............but you can see what i mean
Old 29 January 2004, 11:47 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

If they wanted to be really picky I can see at least another one fault on the plate as opposed to just the spacing.

Current Requirements on the Display of Number Plates
Old 29 January 2004, 12:00 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Yea like i said this is getting a bit to fancy with the shadow, border and subaru logo, but you pays your money and all that
Old 29 January 2004, 12:00 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Buzzer- That's the kind that does actually look utter shíte.
Old 29 January 2004, 12:08 PM
Blues
Scooby Regular

Not been caught by police but car just failed MOT because of a slight (and I mean slight) spacing difference. I have some proper plates aswell and it is very hard to tell the difference between them and the illegal ones. Generally the best advice seems to be to stick with the standard size plate and lettering and no fancy Max Power stuff (which does look sh1te anyway). Then you 'may' just get away with any spaces. Keep the proper ones in the boot in case though.

Blues.
Old 29 January 2004, 12:08 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

mine's illustrated with legal font/size no graphics or logo's amd I've been pulled 3 times because of the spacing.

One fine and two verbal's

If you do a lot of motorway driving do not bother m8, as it's the m-way police who always pull you.. without question.
The local bobbies generally do not bother, they are usually going the other way when they see you and it's too much trouble for them to turn around.... On the m-way you are easy pickings.

It's up to you mate, checking in your mirrors everytime you pass a copper is not something you enjoy...

Old 29 January 2004, 12:18 PM
yoza
BANNED

You do get a second chance.....

You get three goes in fact.

If your done to the letter of the law. Which is very rare, by a complete jobs worth, he will fine you £30 then take a photo of the plate.
He sends the photo off to the DVLA, they store it and if they see it three times they CAN take it off you.
But it has NEVER happened.

The usual speal from a normal copper is this:-

That plate does conform to DVLA standards, if your flashed by a speed camera, or congestion camera, or even a camera van it could confuse the equipment or operator.
(Really I didnt know that! ).
Change it, if I spot you again I will do you.
(Fair enough)......CYA.
Old 29 January 2004, 12:26 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that guys

I wasn't saying (with the clicky) that i was going to get the plates with all the max power stuff, i only wanted to provoke a reaction as to what peeps thought although i was going to get the small subaru logo in the bottom right.

I think concensus is that if you keep it simple, you're reducing the risk........................hopefully
Old 29 January 2004, 12:36 PM
yoza
BANNED

If you put the modded one on the front, and a standard one on the back. You half the chance of getting a pull.

And when you do get pulled, you can ask (as I have done), whether the fine should be halved.

Remember as its been stated earlier, its usualy motorway police who pull you, and most of the time they sit behind you. So a standard one on the back makes best sence.
Old 29 January 2004, 01:01 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I have too. Got pulled and fined for misspacing and marginally small numbers on J8SHS

Josh
Old 29 January 2004, 01:04 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Josh

Was the letter/numbering in a different font than UK spec?

Did you have any shadows or borders on the plate?

Cheers
Old 29 January 2004, 01:15 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Forget the "it's usually motorway police" idea too.

Traffic cops are everywhere and I was pulled 3 times by traffic on local roads with a 6 month gap.

The 3rd and final time was by a cop who had heard over his radio the first time I was stopped and remembered my registration.

He totally went overboard with the turn in the road, blues and two's and overtaking monoeuvres to get to me but he obviously thought as he knew I'd been told once (to his knowledge) that I was a "proper" criminal and I needed stopping immediately.

Once parked up he jumped out like a compacted spring weilding a screwdriver.

He ran up to my car and explained the fact he knew I must have ignored the last warning so he was going to remove my plates.

He took my plates off, his m8 gave me a rectification notice and they drove off.

These plates were 6 years old and used on various cars inbetween.

The reg consists of 5 digits spelling a word and the first 3 letters were closer to the last 2 numbers so yes they were illegal but until these scameras became fashionable it was something that had been totally ignored.

Indeed I still have plates that have been similarly spaced for 20 years without a problem.

They are now all on "fashionable" legal plates and actually look no different.

Old 29 January 2004, 01:16 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Right. Car was less than a week old, the numbers, although in the correct font, were about 2 or 3 mm too short, were evenly spaced, and I had the STi logo where the GB bit goes on the left. Consequently, even though I offered to swap them, as I had the ones the dealer had made, they decided to fine me.

Was quite funny in the end, as their boss called to apologise. They got a dressing down for pulling me, as their were only two cars covering 100 miles of motorway that day!

Josh
Old 29 January 2004, 01:24 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you just a pr1ck copper josh, who hadn't had his oats the night before

Bloody hell Spoon thats some arsing about you had then
Old 29 January 2004, 01:26 PM
yoza
BANNED

As Josh will tell you, as he has seen my plates.
They are only slightly modded, just enough to make them un-readable.
Old 29 January 2004, 01:31 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

hi mate i wouldnt bother i had some fancy plates made £30 only had them on for 2 days i got pulled my number plate 1 letere then 1 number and 3 letters say for example s4nds i spaced it out like S4ND S i had 3d lettering with a slight shade down 1 side and a black screw cover between the d and s.
pc plod pulled me over blue flashing cutting me up told me they were clamping down on this now got his ruler out measured it then got a digital camera took pics of it and gave me a £35 fine and told me to take them off imediately and if seen again they would confescate my plates. you may think the camera and ruler was a bit over the top but they can do it and fine so no point mate. i personaly think that plod was on commission out of how many cars he pulled and he got a cut from the fines lol
Old 29 January 2004, 01:38 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
I moved to a standard plate on the back folling my first tug in the 5NOT wagon. Got pulled again the other day when an officer turned around followed me for miles and started the flashers. He asked me if I knew why I'd been stopped to which I replied "No" leading him to say "Let's start with your number plates" I said "OK, what else?" that stumped him. He tried to tell me that my number wouldn't be recognised by their cameras looking for stolen cars, I told him I worked in software and could help Breath test next, that was negative. I then managed to shear off the plate holding nut so drove around without a plate for a week or two before I managed to tap the plastic out and send in the correction notice late. Not heard anything since.
Old 29 January 2004, 01:41 PM
ANDYUK300
Scooby Regular

Angry

as if there isnt any proper crime out there to deal with, they decide to hound honest(ish) hard working people over a couple of numbers and letters.
petty coppers. bunch of #rse!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone been caught for Reg. Plate spacing?