Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hello all, help required on new STI

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2004, 06:25 PM
Vario-Rob
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings all! Having collected a new STI a couple of days ago I would much appreciate pointing in the right direction on a couple of points.

It is due to have the PPP fitted in about three week’s time an having looked at a couple of other threads is this something which is soon going to be superseded by an alternative one offering a bit extra? What are the pitfalls of having this work done?

The car is currently on 17” rims, what are the benefits (if any) to changing these to 18’s?

I have had the quick shift fitted already and was thinking about having a few extra Prodrive bits done at the same time, namely a strut brace and possibly a different set of springs, once again a few pointers would be welcome.

OK, those are the questions in summary based on 48 hours of ownership is I now firmly see what all the fuss is about, she spent over 10 hours stuck in a log jammed Norwich yesterday and didn’t miss a beat and already the 993 sat in the garage does seem as though it belongs with Noah.

Many thanks

Old 29 January 2004, 06:40 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well cant comment on the PPP or the 18's but two of the best mods I made to mine were uprated brake pads and a 24mm rear sway bar. Transformed it from an average braking understeering beast into a great stopping and neutral handling car (with a hint of oversteer when pushed).
Old 29 January 2004, 09:19 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

My response would be:

Run the car in as standard until you get used to it.

Get the PPP installed in the summer by which time the suppliers will have decided what product they are selling.

At the same time get the spring kit fitted. It does stiffen up the car nicely.

As far as 18 inch rims go - I personally avoided them as I have to drive over speed humps and pot holes every day.

However, they do compliment the spring kit and I agree that they do look better. You make the choice.

I wouldn't bother with the strut braces - just personal though.

Happy driving.

Korky
Old 29 January 2004, 09:33 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

The 18's with good tyres compliment the Prodrive springs well (depending on which wheels you choose, they are lighter than the original 17's) I don't honestly think you'll notice much, if any, difference with the strut bace in everyday driving. The ride quality of my STi8 with standard springs was, in my opinion, poor. The Prodrive springs have improved it as well as reducing understeer.
With the money you save on the strut brace why not treat yourself to a decent head unit while you're at it (and preferably speakers too)
JohnD
Old 29 January 2004, 10:41 PM
PC555
Scooby Regular

swaussie

Interesting to hear you upgraded the brake pads. May I ask to what and how much they cost?

Cheers
PC555
Old 29 January 2004, 11:18 PM
STi Paul
Scooby Regular

Question

swaussie.

whats a 24mm sway bar?
if its a uprated rear arb, who makes it, and where from?

Paul

PS sorry to hi-jack the thread!

[Edited by STi Paul - 1/29/2004 11:20:17 PM]
Old 30 January 2004, 07:00 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Talking

I would at least wait until you are run in before having the PPP fitted, its nice to know what its like without it and with it. PPP is well good and the car is greatly improved.

Spring kit, well I dont know about this one, I was going to get it done but I have seen some very negative responses (as well as some very positive ones), I find my STI pretty good, handles well and no bounce that I can see, and I drive on bumby B roads every day to and from work. Bounce is controled by shocks not springs any way. I think I will just go and get the standard geometry checked and adjusted at somewhere like TSL.

18" wheels, looks great, handles better with lower profile tyres and the standard Bridgestones are not up to much, they tramline badly and lose grip early. I fitted the latest Goodyear F1's and am amazed, virtually no tramlining and I cant get them to slide. Well recommended.

Strut brace, well they look nice!
STEVE.............

[Edited by r32 - 1/30/2004 7:01:22 AM]