ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Your Opinions Please....

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2004, 08:45 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Q1. Do you think thefts of Scoobs and Evo's is on the increase?
Q2. We all do our best to protect our cars but, aside from buying expensive technology, can anyone think of a way that Scoobynet members could work together to help combat this?

(Im not suggesting vigilante squads, but with so many Scooby owners also being members of this web Site, there must be an idea lurking out there amongst us all that could be used to help reduce the risk of theft or to help Plod catch the little *******!)

Please, just positive answers below...
Mak.

[Edited by Makalu - 1/30/2004 8:47:07 AM]
Old 30 January 2004, 09:02 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Q1 - I haven't got any figures to prove anything but I suspect car crime in general is on the increase, especially with more violence.
Q2 - I think deterent it more important that catching them after the fact if at all possible. Take all the usual measure, don't leave valuables on show, have a good alarm system, have some highly visible physical deterent (and I don't mean a Rotweiller in the back seat).

Once the car has been stolen then tracking systems are very useful if the Police get on to the case quickly. Sadly they often don't and if it is a professional theft then the theives have ripped it out by the time the Police galvenise themseleves in to action.

The TWOC web site is useful to notify people in the area to keep their eyes out, but again short of vigilante groups it is down to the Police acting on information recieved.
Old 30 January 2004, 09:20 AM
Olly P
Scooby Regular

I think the main problem is car-jacking. It would appear that Subaru's are not being stolen in the traditional manner. Keys are stolen from the house or off the owner. I blame the programes like car wars which regularly show Imprezas doin the cops, hence every crook thinks he'll do well if hes got one. Because of its rep the insurance is high and mostly unavailable to younger people, which means alot of Imprezas are owned by families. Educate your partners about car-jacking. Sleep with your keys, I do. What about a logo'd rape alarm that can go on your key-ring?
Old 30 January 2004, 09:26 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Technology is the answer.

How about if the tracker systems were able to "tell" the car that it's been stolen - It then shuts down (or even better blows up) !

I'd buy it for a dollar

Old 30 January 2004, 11:03 PM
trancetopia
Scooby Regular

I have a mate who has a hydraulic ram with a spike under the drivers seat.. 30 seconds after the car has moved...........

BANG!! They get it in the ****!!

Hope he never forgets to turn it off when he's in there...

And if the car thief gets it and is injured for life??? Well what goes around, comes around!!
Old 30 January 2004, 11:06 PM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

I dont hink I would ever be able to sit down if that was under my seat!!!
Old 30 January 2004, 11:12 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

some of the handbags on sn would love it