ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Idle speed up and down

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2004, 09:01 PM
John P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,
Need some help. Just had the PE remp on the MY00 and now the idle speed can be anything from 2k back down to 600 (normal for mine). If I hve to replace the MAF sensor will that throw the remap I have just had done?. PS what cost is maf and is i easy to fit DIY. All help grateful
Cheers.
PS seen post on ITG filters as well (Have one fitted. Any recommendations as to what to replace it with, or will that shaft the remap??)
Old 01 February 2004, 09:17 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Just had the PE remp on the MY00 and now the idle speed can be anything from 2k back down to 600 (normal for mine).
Oops. Don't drive the car hard until you've replaced the MAF sensor and are certain that the car is working alright. It could be something else (dodgy TPS, leaky intake pipe et al) but the airflow sensor is the likeliest candidate, and the first thing to change in a process of elimination.

If I have to replace the MAF sensor will that throw the remap I have just had done?.
Depends on how far gone your current sensor was when you had it done (assuming that the sensor is indeed failing). It may be that the car will run too rich under boost after you replace the sensor, it may be that there's no big difference. Under ideal circumstances you'd take it back to PE and get them to check it. Assuming you had a TeK3, it shouldn't cost too much for them to tweak the fuelling slightly - if indeed it it does prove to be out.

Incidentally, if the MAF sensor was failing when the car was remapped, I'd have thought that PE would have picked it up. Did the idle speed go out of whack like, immediately after the remap, or was there a gap of a few days/weeks/months?

PS what cost is maf and is i easy to fit DIY.
Around £80 and it's easy to fit yourself provided you have access to some security Torx screwdriver bits. You need part number 22794AA010, available through any main Subaru dealer.

PS seen post on ITG filters as well (Have one fitted. Any recommendations as to what to replace it with, or will that shaft the remap??)
Replace it with an STi, K&N or Green panel filter. The change won't affect the remap to any significant degree.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 2/1/2004 9:20:28 PM]
Old 01 February 2004, 09:17 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
MAF about £70 odd from Subaru ,easy to fit , couple of screws I think ,and reconnect wires.Try a search for more info , as this topic does seem to crop up lots .

Dave
Old 01 February 2004, 09:20 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2
Thumbs up

greasemonkey......top tips as always

Dave
Old 01 February 2004, 11:30 PM
scoootie5
Scooby Regular

Just noticed this on ebay

Thought it might help?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=10424

Scott
Old 02 February 2004, 12:07 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Personally, I wouldn't touch a pre-owned airflow meter, even one that claims to be new. Sure, you might save a few quid, but IMO the saving isn't worth it.

If you buy a brand new one from a dealer still sealed in its box, you know beyond any doubt that it's brand new, and thus you know it can be trusted. If you put a pre-owned one in and the car feels funny in any way, the first thing you're going to be thinking was "What's up here, I wonder if that sensor's really new?", and you'll immediately be thinking about going to your dealer for a brand spanker!

Also, this particular meter looks like one of the old style "fragile" ones. The newer design is more robust, so bearing in mind the current bid is at only £50 less than the price of a brand new one from your dealer, I'd go for a new one and consider it money well spent.
Old 02 February 2004, 12:16 PM
John P
Scooby Regular

Cheers Greasemonkey
For someone who drives the car like me without knowing all the ins and outs you have really helped me out. The idle was not apparently out immediately after the remap but it is definately seemingly odd (had it done in early Jan and showed up mid Jan) . Will take your advice and get the sensor swapped and will speak to PE, might be going that way to London soon anyway.
Once again SN helps the people who need it
Thanks