Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Finally got caught by the traffics.....

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2004, 11:21 PM
scoobiz7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Finally got caught by the traffics.....

Well after a nice little relaxed drive ( although not even getting to use the turbo ) today, I be a courteous driver and allow others to pull out from junctions etc, was in one of those good moods, proud to be a scoob owner when I see, oh yes the ****** in an unmarked car ( though it was obvious )...

So there they are, sitting staring at the scoob and then I knew that was me in for another pull, (2nd in 3 weeks) i gladly pull over and they book me about the size of my front plate. Then they go on about my rear lights, "they are really nice" officer says, pity I cant do you for them until its dark. "I'll pull you again when I see you out at night to book you for not having reflectors".

You see they are the Lexus Lights and they look cracking, so there is no way Im loosing out forking out £400 for lights so took pic of them tonight, and sure enough they have reflectors. Next step, Im getting the pics blown up and laminated so I can stick them to my back window so they can see they are legal next time out...

Fair do's they are doing there job, but asking how much you are paying for your insurance is not part of the process...

"You are young to have a car like that"...

Sorry for working all my life and being as legal as pos to be on the rd...

To think I actually passed my test to become a police officer a couple of months ago but now my opinion has changed so much after today...
Old 04 February 2004, 01:01 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

I lost all respect for the pigs a long time ago, maybe i'm being a bit too harsh because i have been driving around with 'illegal' front plate for 8 months now and passed many a traffic copper with no problems. Just wave at them and it diverts there attention away from the front grill
Suppose i had better get a square front plate just in case and keep it in the boot.
Old 04 February 2004, 08:08 AM
Fizz_daz
Scooby Regular

should have taken his number and reported him....
Old 04 February 2004, 09:37 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Lightbulb

So what if he asks how much you pay for insurance?

And Fizz_daz, why bother?

Get a life people
Old 04 February 2004, 09:46 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Got pulled on monday re the lettering on my number plate. got a 14 day get it sorted notice.
P1ssed me off because the lettering font is only slightly and i mean slightly away from the std font. its slightly classical.
He claimed the new scanning machines would not be able to read it.

30k miles a year and the first thing i get pulled for is the font on my number plate.
Old 04 February 2004, 10:31 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

For what? lol

Being sociable? Making conversation?

Get a life!

got a 14 day get it sorted notice.
P1ssed me off
At least you never got done. Think how pissed off you'd be then!

Be grateful you only got a rectification notice.
Old 04 February 2004, 11:12 AM
scoobiz7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
So what if he asks how much you pay for insurance?

And Fizz_daz, why bother?

Get a life people
Excuse me henrik....

When the hell is that part of his job when he's just about to book you??

There is such a thing called the DPA and im sure you understand what that means...
Old 04 February 2004, 11:18 AM
scoobiz7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fizz_daz
Fizz_daz a few people have said the same including my mate who is a normal beat copper...

The way he spoke about the rear lights was out of order but I honestly thought I was getting a warning until I was pulled into the car...

Highlight of it all was seeing my wee scooby teddy (which I have on the rear shelf) on their screen, sticking his tongue out at them...

Think it looked good!
Old 04 February 2004, 11:58 AM
teeitup
Scooby Newbie

So scoobiz7, your font was illegal was it not? Take the punishment like a man why don't you... you took their test to be a rozzer, so you know it's all just a game... and we're the daft muppets who don't play by the rules! Break em' and pay!
Old 04 February 2004, 01:49 PM
barryc
Scooby Regular

Smile

I got pulled over on the way into work last night (first time in two years of ownership). It seems i pulled out of a junction a bit on the quick side, Which i can't complain about as it was true.They had a good look over the car checked all the details (mine and the cars) then i was back on my way. Not all coppers out there are nasty blokes i suppose.
Barry C
Old 04 February 2004, 01:50 PM
Benno
Scooby Regular

Scoobiz
What size is your front plate out of curiosity?
Old 04 February 2004, 01:59 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Scoobiz7: So what has the DPA got to do with it?
Could it not be that he thought maybe you were driving around with no insurance, or something like that? Also, if it falls under the DPA, could you not just refuse to answer?

Either way, you drove with an illegal number plate, got pulled and the copper thought you also had illegal lights (which maybe you don't). What's the big deal? You still got no fine for the lights. If it had been dark the copper would have seen that they are not illegal and wouldn't have hassled you about them.

To me it sounds like you want to do him as some sort of revenge for giving you a fine, but that's just my opinion.
Old 04 February 2004, 02:35 PM
Fizz_daz
Scooby Regular

Red face

If everyone had the attitude that some have had here telling me to "get a life" then the country would be policed by corruption!!!

He has made a verbal threat and has basically admitted that he is going to harass you.. .So why shouldn't his number be taken and reported....

Some people... an innocent comment and such tension... must be the new colour scheme giving an agressive karma!!
Old 04 February 2004, 02:39 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Its all this carbon fibre going to people's heads!!!
Old 04 February 2004, 02:44 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

This thread is funny

Thanks for making my day.

I'd like someone to tell me what the Data Protection Act has to do with all this?
Old 04 February 2004, 02:46 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fizz_daz
...He has made a verbal threat and has basically admitted that he is going to harass you.. .So why shouldn't his number be taken and reported....
I read that as a warning that if he was to be seen driving with illegal lights then he would be prosecuted! how the hell is that a threat or harassment?

Last edited by BuRR; 04 February 2004 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04 February 2004, 02:51 PM
Fizz_daz
Scooby Regular

Red face

Old 04 February 2004, 02:52 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Finally (still on my soap box ) ... one standard question we would ask drivers is how much they paid for insurance and where from.

A lot of the drivers we stopped, illegal or otherwise, all claimed to have insurance so we'd give them a producer instead of reporting them on the spot. Just a way of them stringing out the process, and giving them an extra week or so illegal driving, I suppose? Playing the system.......

So, by asking their insurance particulars (remember the DVLA system isn't always up to date) it helps the police officer form their suspicions etc as to whether the driver is kosher or not.

I don't know why I'm trying to justify his questioning, tbh, as I find them quite understandable.
Old 04 February 2004, 02:55 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

I overtook an un marked plod car on monday - luckily only doing just 70mph on a wide, straight trunk road with nothing else around. He flashed his blues at me - I braked gently so he could see I had noticed him and cruised on to the next roundabout where he went one way and I went the other ........
Both parties happy - I slowed down and he didn't bust me! Perfect policing - as I was no danger to anyone else but was exceeding the legal limit.
Phew!!
Old 04 February 2004, 02:57 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Mark: You're right. But that I'm sure that is OH SO rare! It's usually any excuse to **** you off and make a buck!
Old 04 February 2004, 04:15 PM
adpd
Scooby Regular

I lost all respect for the pigs a long time ago
lol.... a bit of a nasty thing to say though!
Old 04 February 2004, 04:18 PM
Geddon
Scooby Regular

Excellent- this must be the first pig bashing thread of SN3
Old 04 February 2004, 04:30 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Well Scoodiz you knew it was coming in your previous thread you mentioned your front number plate mate. I can understand you feeling peed off but hey dont worry. Change it and you can give him a big msile the next time you drive by all legal like. That will really get on his nerves. I got done for showing a blue light to the rear at least that was the police officers opinion but actually since the stop have ahd the car inspected by a local traffic division seargent and he has confirmed as long as the light source cant be seen then there is no law regarding a blue glow under the vehicle. Anycase paid the fine and have a written letter stating the road traffic act. Regarding vehicle illumination and reflections. Also does get annoying seeing so many wagons and vans with wrong coloured marker lights and side lights showing the actual bulbs and the police failing to have an opinion on them. So in your original thread scoobiz you said does the police have it in for us. Well we seem to be an easier target. Maybe that answers your question.
Old 04 February 2004, 05:16 PM
barneyrubble
Scooby Regular

Some people are **** and some people aren't, the same goes for Coppers and every other profession. I can't stand coppers who take the job to ridiculously petty levels but if you're breaking the law with illegal plates then get them changed - re the lights then the copper is wrong and acting like a plonker and should get his fact right. He sounds like a bit af a tit to me but alot of them are OK and just doing their jobs.

You can't tar them all with the same brush, anyone that does IMHO is as bigger idiot as the jobsworth plod.
Old 04 February 2004, 09:33 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

There is such a thing called the DPA and im sure you understand what that means...
Enlighten us as to how this applies to your law breaking antics!
Old 04 February 2004, 10:04 PM
scoobiz7
Scooby Regular

Respect to BarneyRubble and Subtyper, both opinions I agree with and glad to see that some guys have some good advice to us beginners.

Appreciate the advice given guys and points taken but those who are defending such "discrimination" against a youngester with a performance car must either be a copper, mates a copper or cant get it on or up with the opposite sex as they gain more pleasure from posting on here and wanting to start agro...

Subtyper good to see you remember my last thread and I admit I am in the wrong over the plate but will gladly pay my fine and keep my opinion of traffics in the back of my mind...

Cheers again...
Old 04 February 2004, 10:13 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

I see you are declining to expand on your DPA statement! lol

And all this from a potential recruit too!!

SN serves as a great screening process!
Old 04 February 2004, 10:15 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The crackdown on Plates is IIRC driven by, Congestion Charges and Flashing Yellow cash machines etc.

The Police are only doing what their bosses tell them to do, as we all do or get sacked. Illegal is Illegal end of story.
Stopped by my Local Police for the rear plate for incorrect spacing but they watched me change over the plate, on Velcro, and happy as Billyo Some give a on the spot fine, some give you MOT check and others will give you a warning. The luck of the draw or depends on how many box's he's got 'Ticked'

Worcester Police stopped me for my Midgit front Plate and spacing I was given a Producer and cost me a £2:00p to get checked at a MOT station.
After 27 years with clean Licence, I was caught last year for speeding, my error, to which I have no excuses or compliants but guess what Plate I was caught with, yep, the migit one. That's life

Question,

Am I allowed to mount a small "Name" plate on the Front bumper and have the Legal Plate securely mounted on inside windscreen? The Rear is a different matter as needs to be illuminated IIRC

Tony
Old 04 February 2004, 10:45 PM
Davey P
Scooby Regular

Nice to know that they are doing such a good job. Our money pays for the excellent work, NOT
Old 04 February 2004, 10:47 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Quick Reply: Finally got caught by the traffics.....