ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Car Tele Sales

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2004, 08:52 AM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Tele Sales

I've just put the scooby up for sale in autotrader (also in car sale section on here ) . Since she went in on friday i've had 4-5 companies calling to say they have several prospective buyers who are very interested etc . They want to send an info pack free of charge to explain how to make the sale . I've just said no thanks up to now but not having sold the scoob to anyone yet, i'm thinking about getting some info sent through.
Has anyone had any dealings with any of these companies, and was it just a rip off scam to get more advertising fees?
Cheers treacle
Old 04 February 2004, 08:59 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

umm, I'd be wary of these organisations - I've heard of some stories where people have handed over their "handling" fee, never to be heard from again.

Any that are cosha, end up like junk mail - can't get rid of the buggers.....

Be careful...

Dan
Old 04 February 2004, 09:09 AM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Ditto what scoobydoo555 says.
I had a pack come through, from one of these outfits, which listed a number of cars for sale (none of the type I was looking for at the time). Out of curiosity I phoned one, explained that I wasn't interested in his car but could he vouch for the co? The guy told me I was the first call he'd had in weeks.

They're also a pain to get rid of once they have you interested.
Old 04 February 2004, 09:16 AM
MarkT
Scooby Regular

Yeah - I wouldn't bother.
Was selling a car a couple of years ago - same thing guy kept ringing (can't remember the company) was very persuasive - said he had four or five buyers for that exact model just waiting to contact me - all I had to do was pay £50 odd & he'd phone back with their details - what a mug - never heard another thing !!
It's all a scam - they're only interrested in your lolly & there's one born every day.

Mark.
Old 04 February 2004, 09:26 AM
mike16v
Scooby Regular

I am in the same boat.... surprisingly, there are 5 buyers within 70 miles of Aberdeen who all want a jazz blue 5 door Golf GTI and are willing to pay my asking price.... All I have to do is pay the £80 and they will put them in touch with me..... Although I have to promise to answer my phone.....

*****!
Old 04 February 2004, 10:44 AM
dosenöffner
Scooby Regular

They are a scam. They take your money to pass on your details and never actually get anyone to call.

Would you go to an agency and ask them to source you a car or would you look in the trader and around the net yourself?

It just doen't figure. People too lazy to find their own car go to dealers.
Old 04 February 2004, 10:49 AM
flatfourburble
Scooby Regular

Just dont!!! I had the same call a few years ago when I was selling my VTS, paid the money and didn't get one call!!!
Old 04 February 2004, 12:01 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Red face dont do it

This was on watchdog a while back, forget them........
Old 04 February 2004, 12:44 PM
crowtherg
Scooby Regular

Going through same thing at present, agreed to receive free information pack and had about 20 calls from them since trying to get me to sign up. They sure are persistant bu@@ers.

Have decided to keep clear, and I think they may have given up now. Very glad I did not sign having read the threads above.
Old 04 February 2004, 01:22 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Another vote for Don't Do It!! I tried one of these years ago and not only did I not get any calls, the Bu**ers charged my credit card a second time! .

Bad news - Don't Do It!
Old 04 February 2004, 01:51 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Don't do it. Load of crap.
Old 04 February 2004, 02:13 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Or do what I did. Tell them you'll pay them DOUBLE what they're asking on CONDITION OF SALE (i.e. if they supply you with a buyer and it goes through THEN you'll pay them). Or a deal whereby if they DON'T get you a buyer within, say, one month, you'll get a full refund. Funnily enough they weren't interested.

I got the 5 buyers in a 6 mile radius when I was selling my Corrado VR6. Now, at the time I was living in the middle of nowhere (parents place) and it's HIGHLY unlikely that there were 5 people in the 6 mile radius looking for ANY type of car, let alone a Classic green, beige leather, Mreg Corrado VR6. After pointing this out, the other guy muttered something and hung up

Lets face it, if someone is looking for a car they'll look in the autotrader or suchlike and find your car. these companies are scams.

Actually, get them to send their 'free' pack and keep asking them to send more (for your friends ) and keep doing this until they give up
Old 04 February 2004, 03:45 PM
Treacle
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for the replies, pretty conclusive i'd say . I must admit i was surprised to hear that there were 5 buyers in my area prepared to pay the asking price, and also that they seemed to be relying on a company to find their dream car for them . They either weren't looking in autotrader or couldn't afford the phone bill after paying for all these car lookout companies as they haven't called yet !
I'll not be handing over any cash after reading all your responses, thanks.

Anyone interested in a new car.............. LOL
Treacle