ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

HELP!!!! QUICK RESPONSE REQUIRED

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2004, 06:57 PM
EvilKyote_1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP!!!! QUICK RESPONSE REQUIRED

MODS: I know this should be in electrical but i need urgent help so would appreciate it if you can leave this thread here for at least 2 days! Thanx!

Scooby failed it's MOT today and I have until friday morning to sort the probs out. they are minor and easily fixed except one which i need help on.

MOT failed because horn and brakes light not working, found problem was blown fuse. Replace fuse and tested horn. still nothing, took new fuse out, new fuse blown too! replaced again but tested brakes this time. Brakes work fine! tested horn...blown fuse again.

This time I saw/heard electrical are in steering column so looks like a short in the horn circuit. has anyone had this problem? if so how did they find the prob and fix.

Also does anyone know if the horn circuit has a relay, and if so do you know where it is located?

car is MY96 UK Turbo.

quick replies appreciated!

EvilKyote

P.S. whats with the BBS?! my username and password won't work and the 'forgot password' thing won't work for me!!!! wots going on!!!!
Old 04 February 2004, 07:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

On a classic Impreza there are two horns, one located behind the grille, one in the engine compartment, o/s front.

I suggest you disconnect each one in turn by pulling off the spade connector to it, then try the circuit again. You may find that without one, or the other, the circuit is fine.

If it still blows the fuse with either one on, try it with NEITHER. That should tell you if there is a fault BEFORE the actual horn.

If there is, it'll take a 'trician to find it, so don't take it to a Scoob dealer:

It's quite likely to be one of the horns gone faulty, but the car would pass MoT with only one horn, and you could replace the other one, or go to air horns at your leisure.

Alcazar
Old 04 February 2004, 08:01 PM
EvilKyote_1
Scooby Newbie

Hey Alcazar

Thanks for that, did what you suggested and you were right, was a faulty horn! and thanks for the quick response too! top man
Old 04 February 2004, 09:02 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Default HORN!!!!

when my old car failed the mot on the above (soft top) many moons ago

i argued with the inspector and he said,,

" how would you warn the car in front of an incident"

i replys

" scream like **** at them" its got no roof !!!!

i got my mot!!!!!!

Mart