Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

suspicious of dealer explanation...

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2004, 08:12 AM
tonym
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspicious of dealer explanation...

I've got my dealer to replace the STi bootlid with a WRX bootlid (both 04) because I want an STi with a low spoiler.
The dealer fitted the WRX bootlid, including all the internal locking mechanism, but not the lock barrel (the bit the key goes in). He says that the STi bootlid uses a different barrel to the WRX bootlid so I have to buy a separate one.
Now, he only told me this AFTER he'd fitted the WRX bootlid. I can't believe that Subaru would source different lock barrels for bootlids that are identical apart from the number of spoiler fitting holes.
Does anyone know the part number for Sti and WRX locks - are they the same?

cheers
Tony
Old 05 February 2004, 08:24 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

I did the opposite and changed my WRX bootlid for n STI boot lid, and the barrel was exacltly the same, just a straight swap from one to the other.

This was on a MY01 though, but I cant see there being a difference

Phil
Old 05 February 2004, 08:35 AM
tonym
Scooby Regular

I think I know what the dealer has done. Currently, the hole in the WRX boot where the barrel should go is covered by black tape (put on by dealer). When I peeled it back, the hole was much smaller than the hole on the STi bootlid. They've gone and put an 03 WRX bootlid on, even though I've got an 04 Sti. And on top of that they want to charge me for the privilege of needing an 03 lock!
I think I shall call my dealer and have some words...
Old 05 February 2004, 09:35 AM
tonym
Scooby Regular

Called the dealer and they did fit an 03 lid (no 04 lids available, apparently). They say they'll fit the 03 barrel for free and also throw in some goodies of my choice to make up for the "error".
Which is fine, but its the principle of the thing - you spend upwards of 25 grand on a car, Prodrive alloys and other bits and they still try and stiff you rather than coming clean. If I hadn't noticed they would have been perfectly happy charging me parts and labour for the 03 lock.