ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

help, speedo broken!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2004, 03:11 PM
truerim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help, speedo broken!!!

I tried changing the dash over for another one i got from the scrap yard to convert my Import Classic WRX to MPH from KMH. The old dash went out fine, and the new one went in ok too. Unfortunately the dash was still in KMH with someone just sticking a MPH sticker over the top of the KMH! So I took out the replacement dash (as i was no better off, still in the same position of having a KMH readout), which i have since sent back, and put the original dash back in the car. I decided to get a white dial kit with MPH readout to convert it to MPH as it was the cheapest option and after my misfortune of getting another metric dash, didn't want to have to mess around again. I carefully removed the needle and replaced it at the same position and reassembled the dash and replaced it in the car. After reattaching everything I went out for a drive only to find the odometer and tripometer work fine but the speedo needle doen't move at all! Anyone got any suggestions?? Cheers!!

Last edited by truerim; 05 February 2004 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05 February 2004, 04:24 PM
MickWrx
Scooby Regular

Location: Wset Yroksrhie posts: 82,555 - total _____ Avg monthly

I actualy think i am right in saying? That its not the Speedometer lay out that converts from kmh to mph but in fact a fitment on the spedo cable that converts,
Then your standard kmh dash will read in mph, Most Importers who do this mod stick a mph sticker over the kmh.

Sorry cant assist in your speedo not working. But if it does not Am aslo suprised engine does not go into safe mode depends on age that one me thinks

Is it cable driven Speedometer or electric ???
Old 05 February 2004, 05:28 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

HEy jate the old dialyou took off what does it read upto and if it goes upto 180KPH and its in white can i have it please.
Old 05 February 2004, 10:58 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

You don't need a speedo.... just calculate your speed using revs and what gear you have selected.

30mph should be approx 6,000 rpm in 2nd gear!

Seriously, the needles are sprung wound and the replacement dials should be fited without removing the needles as most new dial kits allow.

Its probably more hassle than its worth to try and get it working so why not just put your new white dials on your spare cluster?

btw, replacing the dials with white ones (mph) effectively changes your car from kph to mph without any conversion, as the new speedo is calibrated the same as the original one, only the scale has changed....

Works perfectly every time.